Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Constantly having to reset submersible water pump

• 20-02-2014 12:45pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40

Hi,

I have to hit the reset button just below the green light on my submersible water pump for my well at least 4 times daily recently. I have not idea what is causing it.

Any ideas anybody?
    Thanks.

34sldfq.jpg
    qxs58g.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

You probably have an Earth leak somewhere on the Cable. possibly due to all the Rain fall lately.
    Alternatively it could be that the condenser is on it's way out. If you switch the power to the box of at the Fuse board. Remover the cover. The condenser is the round unit inside the box. It could have a bulge on the side or the top popping out. Take a look and replace if needed.
    It's always important to carry one in stock as they have a life span of 3 to 5 years in my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

+1 to the condenser, it being low in value and need replacing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40 CollyFowler

Thanks Sky.

The area surrounding the pump and whole pumphouse seem dry.

I'll pop the cover and will take a pic of condenser. It has worked flawlessly since 2005 without servicing or maintenance.

Thanks again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40 CollyFowler

2ue73ac.jpg

I also have this down near the well. Don't know what its function is :o

2z6bjax.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

Just recently learned this houses the pressure switch, basically it controls when the green light (i.e. the pump) comes on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Pump101

Its not earth leakage as its tripping the overload. The overload protects the pump from damage under fault conditions.

1. As mentioned the capacitor may be the problem. It may show signs of distortion in which case it needs replacing. It may also look like new and not be strong enough to start the pump. A new cap should be between 10 to 20 euro depending on size. Its very important to replace cap with same size as removed. They range from 16uf ..20uf..25uf..30..up to 40 for domestic pumps. Turn off power disconnect cap and reconnect new one.. only 2 wires. If that doesent work you need a technician with the appropriate test equipment.

2. Damaged cable between control box and pump causing a short circuit.

3. Damaged cable splice where the cable joins the pig tail on pump.

4. Damaged internal windings in motor.

5. Mechanical problem with pump end. Ie impellors unable to turn due to sediment etc.

Hope its the capacitor if not its prob a call out needed.

Ian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

+1 to what pump101 said

the cause of the overload tripping in most cases is the capacitor having failed or gone weak.
    it is the cylindrical part inside the control box with 20uf printed on it.
    the control box is marked at .55kw which is 3/4hp and 20uf is the correct capacitor for this size, I have frequently seen incorrect capacitors fitted.

It is also possible:
    that the overload has gone weak and is tripping at lower current then rated, but this problem occurs much less frequently.
    that there is a fault with the motor, pump or cable

You shouldnt regularly reset the overload, as it is a protection device for the pump that trips at over current, repeated over current could lead to damage of the pump itself

Advertisement