Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extending Alarm to new extension

Options
  • 20-02-2014 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've a HKC SW-812 alarm that I self installed a few years back and want to add some additional sensors to cover a new extension. The extension has 4 velux, a large double door and makes 2 windows upstairs more accessible so I want to upgrade these too.

I plan to install a shock + reed sensor on each velux, the double doors and the windows upstairs with a traditional contact for the second opening window and a PIR in the extension.

I've have the following on my shopping list

100m x 8 core alarm wire
    7x Combo Reed/Shock alarm sensors
    2x Alarm contacts
    1x PIR

Wishlist
    1x Keypad
    1x Zone Extender(I'll be freeing up a 2 of zones but adding 3 and I believe I've already doubled up on 2 physicals zones with 1 alarm zone)

Is there anything I'm missing?
    Are there better sensors out there for velux windows?
    Do I have to use HKC sensors or are there better/cheaper options?
    What can I expect to pay for all this (Based in Kildare btw)
    Is this overkill?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

n0brain3r wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've a HKC SW-812 alarm that I self installed a few years back and want to add some additional sensors to cover a new extension. The extension has 4 velux, a large double door and makes 2 windows upstairs more accessible so I want to upgrade these too.

I plan to install a shock + reed sensor on each velux, the double doors and the windows upstairs with a traditional contact for the second opening window and a PIR in the extension.

I've have the following on my shopping list

100m x 8 core alarm wire
    7x Combo Reed/Shock alarm sensors
    2x Alarm contacts
    1x PIR

Wishlist
    1x Keypad
    1x Zone Extender(I'll be freeing up a 2 of zones but adding 3 and I believe I've already doubled up on 2 physicals zones with 1 alarm zone)

Is there anything I'm missing?
    Are there better sensors out there for velux windows?
    Do I have to use HKC sensors or are there better/cheaper options?
    What can I expect to pay for all this (Based in Kildare btw)
    Is this overkill?

Thanks

The best place to start for pricing is the suppliers of this equipment. Here is a link to the suppliers list. On Velux windows You just install contacts. The reason for this is heavy rain/ hailstones can cause these to activate. The zone expander you need is a 4 zone for the 8/12.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

altor wrote: »
    The reason for this is heavy rain/ hailstones can cause these to activate. The zone expander you need is a 4 zone for the 8/12.
    Perfect thanks Altor that's exactly the sort of advice I was after! The PIR covers the same area and it will make up for lack of shock on the velux. Should I position the PIR so it doesn't face any windows?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Should I position the PIR so it doesn't face any windows?

That would be good , also if there is a lot of glass use a Duel Tec PiR.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

Perfect thanks Altor that's exactly the sort of advice I was after! The PIR covers the same area and it will make up for lack of shock on the velux. Should I position the PIR so it doesn't face any windows?

Your welcome n0brain3r, yes a dualtech PIR is what should be used.
    Have you installed cables to the doors in this area?
    They should also be covered by inertia/contacts.
    Also the lock in the doors if fitted with Euro locks should be changed for antisnap/antibump locks. Same with any door with these locks fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

altor wrote: »
    Your welcome n0brain3r, yes a dualtech PIR is what should be used.
    Have you installed cables to the doors in this area?
    They should also be covered by inertia/contacts.
    Also the lock in the doors if fitted with Euro locks should be changed for antisnap/antibump locks. Same with any door with these locks fitted.

I plan to run the cables over the next week or 2 as I'm waiting on the doors to be made up. I'll face the PIR away from the windows but the Velux will be over the area covered will a dualtech PIR be OK with this? I'll check out the locks too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Yes, a dual tec should be fine.

Advertisement