Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 week road trip in America, how much spending money?

Options
  • 20-02-2014 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi all,

Heading to San Francisco mid April with my girlfriend, then onto lake tahoe, back then to monterey, down the coast to la and san diego and finishing off with a few nights in vegas. All hotels and car rental is paid for and have money set aside for fuel, just wondering how much spending money per day we would need? A good few of the hotels have breakfast included and am thinking of buying a cooler box to bring packed lunches for stopping off when driving. We like to do some sightseeing and will be going out for dinner most nights, would 100 dollars a day each be enough? Thanks in advance!

(Any other tips from someone who has a similar route would be much appreciated ðŸ˜႒)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭keltoms05

anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I did a similar trip last summer and I'm pretty sure I spent just over $2,000. Like you, hotels and car rental were already paid and separate to that. Some days cost more, some days less but overall I think $100 per day would be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

$100 a day each? That would work. A cooler in the car is a good idea.

You should have some gambling money set aside for Tahoe and Vegas too.

Your route looks good too.

InTheTrees wrote: »
    $100 a day each? That would work. A cooler in the car is a good idea.

You should have some gambling money set aside for Tahoe and Vegas too.

Yeah 100 dollars a day each, thanks for the replies :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

keltoms05 wrote: »
    Yeah 100 dollars a day each, thanks for the replies :)

Bring a credit card. If you run out of cash you are a long way from home !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I went to Napa Valley which was awesome (im not a wine fan) and also Avenue of the Giants which was pretty cool, 100 bucks a day, does that include fuel?

And remember... 15% tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Amazing trip, Enjoy!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

InTheTrees wrote: »
    And remember... 15% tips.

20% is the standard in the city

But $100 a day is a pretty good budget.

In SF cheap and good eats can be had in The mission (Mexican) and the Sunset (Vietnamese, Chinese)

As for Monterey area, the normal downtown and fishermans wharf is great for food. Stay away from Cannery row and you'll be sorted

• Advertisement

I went to Napa Valley which was awesome (im not a wine fan) and also Avenue of the Giants which was pretty cool, 100 bucks a day, does that include fuel?

No will be 100 dollars excluding fuel.

Its about 1300 miles altogether for the above journey, so will allow for 2000 miles (driving about the city and that). Will be getting either a Chrysler 200 or 300, not sure yet.

2000 miles @ 25 miles per gallon = 80 gallons

80 x $4 dollars a gallon = $320

so will leave 200 - 250 euro aside for fuel, should be loads :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

keltoms05 wrote: »
    No will be 100 dollars excluding fuel.

Its about 1300 miles altogether for the above journey, so will allow for 2000 miles (driving about the city and that). Will be getting either a Chrysler 200 or 300, not sure yet.

2000 miles @ 25 miles per gallon = 80 gallons

80 x $4 dollars a gallon = $320

so will leave 200 - 250 euro aside for fuel, should be loads :)

and factor in for parking - hotels in SF can charge up to $50 a day for parking. Space is at a premium in the city. To be honest, when you're in SF, you won't need the car at all - parking is a nightmare and the transit system, although creaking around the edges, works pretty well

Advertisement