Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Connell rules out Fenton horses from Cheltenham

Options
  • 20-02-2014 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭

The Tullow tank now a non runner

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

That is a horse singular richie

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Bangor Billy

He has ruled out Volvalien as well so that makes two.

PP to refund too

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭BangBeater

Facking balls.

Was looking to forward to the Tank at the Festival.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

So the strategy in court was to apply for an adjournment at the last minute until a date after Cheltenham to facilitate Last Installment's Gold Cup tilt?

Although there must still be the possibility that the BHA will suspend his runners pending the trial so then what? Would Fenton and O'Leary try for an injunction in England to stop the Gold Cup being run without their horse?

Vet interesting situation brewing.

Was it said there is a chance they'll suspend his runners before the trial?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭ste2010

To me this is disgraceful by connell. Unless he knows for a fact the horses have been plied with something he should not have done this and might as well take the horses out of the stable...
    It's the guilty until proven innocent approach

UrbanSea wrote: »

Not as far as I know, but if I was O'Leary I would be concerned

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

Wouldnt in any way say its disgraceful. Infact, I'd have more respect for the man for taking him out knowing its infact possible he would be allowed run.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

BHA have received all details from the Turf Club and their own investigation is underway. Legal trial being adjourned means little to nothing to the BHA or Turf Clubs investigations.

Also, this craic of Ante Post bets being refunded. Thats bollocks. Maybe I am being old fashioned.

BHA have received all details from the Turf Club and their own investigation is underway. Legal trial being adjourned means little to nothing to the BHA or Turf Clubs investigations.

The British Horseracing Authority say they are liaising with the Irish Turf Club to gain as "much information as is currently available" about the Fenton case.

A statement read: "BHA are currently in possession of little in the way of information regarding the charges that Philip Fenton is facing.

"We are in contact with the Irish Turf Club with a view to gathering as much information as is currently available.

"It would be inappropriate to comment further or to speculate about this issue until we are in possession of the relevant facts."

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Seeing Stars

In terms of Accumulators would trebles be treated as doubles etc...or is money back on whole bet?

Is it singles just being refunded?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Plentyofice

Define logic !!

Wealthy horse owner pays £160,000 for an 11 yr old hunter chaser in an attempt to have a cheltenham winner. Lines up as many horses as possible.

Then pulls out 2 live chances due to an issue with an "unconvicted" trainer ??

Ehhh.. Why not just leave them in ? This issue is from 2012 . ! It's not as if his horses will be blackened or tarnished as suspect if they won ?

Go ask Henderson hee hee hee ..!! (Joking)

UrbanSea wrote: »

Actually, just saw this from yesterday's IT before the adjournment:

Only 20 days away from the start of the Cheltenham festival, the British Horseracing Authority (BHA) hasn’t ruled out preventing Mr Fenton from running horses there if it feels details from the hearing are serious enough to justify such a course of action.

.................... a controversy that has already cast a massive pall over the run-up to the festival could spread further if Mr Fenton isn’t cleared, or even if the case is deferred to a later date. The BHA confirmed it has not been informed of the matter by the Turf Club which has stated they are unable to take any action until the case is completed.

The case has already been deferred twice, in December and January last. Another deferment would leave Mr Fenton able to continue to run horses in Ireland but it is not certain if the same would apply in Britain. A BHA statement said: “We are in communication with the Irish Turf Club in relation to Philip Fenton’s court appearance . . . It is not appropriate for us to comment any further on this matter at this stage, although we are conscious of the need for clarity as soon as possible in advance of next month’s Cheltenham Festival.”

However sources within the BHA suggested if details emerge in the hearing that the body believe are serious enough to warrant them preventing Mr Fenton from running horses at Cheltenham, or anywhere else in Britain, it will consider such a step.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Huntley

Barry Connell wants nothing to do with this and rightly so. He is just saving himself from the ridicule that would inevitably follow and surround his horses, and himself, at Cheltenham.

The Gigginstown brigade running their mouth off the other day was amateur hour stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    So the strategy in court was to apply for an adjournment at the last minute until a date after Cheltenham to facilitate Last Installment's Gold Cup tilt?

Although there must still be the possibility that the BHA will suspend his runners pending the trial so then what? Would Fenton and O'Leary try for an injunction in England to stop the Gold Cup being run without their horse?

Vet interesting situation brewing.

A vet has already been before the courts, a fine or donation was the punishment. It was also reported in the papers at the time that they investigation would lead to more before the courts.
    However this may not have anything to do with Mr Fenton. The dope was alledgelly only found on his premises - not in his horses

A vet has already been before the courts, a fine or donation was the punishment. It was also reported in the papers at the time that they investigation would lead to more before the courts.
    However this may not have anything to do with Mr Fenton. The dope was alledgelly only found on his premises - not in his horses

Well the vet in question would not have been a licenced person so nothing further the Turf Club or BHA could do vis a vis him.

Fenton is licenced. Even if he did just get a fine or donation (probation act??) from the court, I wouldn't think it would be safe to assume Turf Club/ BHA would be happy to leave it at that.

I cant see the turf club going hard on him - this is the turf club where every week we see horses not trying etc.
    Over the years the turf club has only ever gone hard on people such as stable staff and where another body is involved. Chances are the TC will consider the sentence handed out by the courts deemed enough punishment.

Just compare BHA and the TC regards to punishments / bans etc handed out. Unrelated to this case but Nepotism is rife in this country

I cant see the turf club going hard on him - this is the turf club where every week we see horses not trying etc.
    Over the years the turf club has only ever gone hard on people such as stable staff and where another body is involved. Chances are the TC will consider the sentence handed out by the courts deemed enough punishment.

Just compare BHA and the TC regards to punishments / bans etc handed out. Unrelated to this case but Nepotism is rife in this country

Absolutely agree.

When Gerard Butler was banned recently the editorial in the Irish Field was HIGHLY sympathetic to him, basically that the sanction was excessive etc, etc.

There has always been tension between the 2 countries' regulators though. I remember Joe Byrne and (Timmy Ryan was it??) being banned for whip abuse at Cheltenham 30+ years ago. It was portrayed as nearly a racist incident by the Irish racing media.

• Advertisement

its a shame really, we produce the top horses ,jockeys etc but too pig headed to learn from other countries in respect of regulating , promoting etc

I commend the BHA in its approach to weed out the undesirables from the sport , where as we consider such to be cute hoors

Post colonial fallout possibly

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭dicky dunne

BET365 refunding too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Starokan

I find this very strange, pulling the horses out to me would imply the owner has obtained knowledge which is not mainstream knowledge yet. It certainly does not help the public's perception of the fenton yard.

Surely most owners would let them take their chance especially given that the alleged offence was 2012 and that if anything had been up the horses in all likelihood are now virtually certain to be clean .

Very strange decision for me, cant help but feel sorry for both fenton and connell , no winners here, it should have been a great run in to cheltenham for the yard and connections

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Seeing Stars

Those refunding are treating selection as void..trebles now doubles etc..

Starokan wrote: »
    I find this very strange, pulling the horses out to me would imply the owner has obtained knowledge which is not mainstream knowledge yet. It certainly does not help the public's perception of the fenton yard.

Surely most owners would let them take their chance especially given that the alleged offence was 2012 and that if anything had been up the horses in all likelihood are now virtually certain to be clean .

Very strange decision for me, cant help but feel sorry for both fenton and connell , no winners here, it should have been a great run in to cheltenham for the yard and connections

O Connel is shrewd , Id say method behind madness. Maybe used as he didnt fancy the chances of winning. Anythig can be made of this such as a horse being sold , a dispute over fees etc. The list is endless but it will be interesting to see what happens to the horse after chelt. Took advantage of a situation maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

My first thought regarding the removal of TTT and his other one is that they obviously weren't fancied to win at the Festival. Fairly handy excuse to take them out thereafter.
    I think he'd be willing to face the jibes if he really fancied TTT to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I'd expect both those horses will have a new trainer next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Pinesky

Barry is just proving that he is a man of the highest integrity .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

only1stevo wrote: »
    My first thought regarding the removal of TTT and his other one is that they obviously weren't fancied to win at the Festival. Fairly handy excuse to take them out thereafter.
    I think he'd be willing to face the jibes if he really fancied TTT to win.

What rubbish.

Advertisement