Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Connell rules out Fenton horses from Cheltenham

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

That's a personal opinion but I think you would be very naive to think it doesn't go on.

My response was just in relation to the comparison with cycling, which based on anything available to me to read or listen to, as a punter, is wholly inaccurate.
    No naivety, well aware of the questions that need to be answered, but I'm also aware that idle talk is exactly that.

only1stevo wrote: »
    My response was just in relation to the comparison with cycling, which based on anything available to me to read or listen to, as a punter, is wholly inaccurate.
    No naivety, well aware of the questions that need to be answered, but I'm also aware that idle talk is exactly that.

With respect I think the comparison is very apt.

Absolutely the problem with cycling was that cyclists were not failing tests. On the rare occasions they did, the incident was explained away and forgotten.

For years and years people who suggested drug use was widespread in cycling were accused of 'idle talk'. "How is it widespread, if people are not failing tests?". They were accused of undermining the sport and spreading gossip.

We now know they were right - and they were the sport's greatest friends in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

For years and years people who suggested drug use was widespread in cycling were accused of 'idle talk'. "How is it widespread, if people are not failing tests?". They were accused of undermining the sport and spreading gossip.

We now know they were right - and they were the sport's greatest friends in the long term.

Very fair points.. Apt but perhaps not fair at this stage IMO!
    Hopefully it it doesn't turn out to be anything like cycling and that your fears are not realised.

And most importantly- please god we never have to listen to Paul Kimmage on the matter.

only1stevo wrote: »
    And most importantly- please god we never have to listen to Paul Kimmage on the matter.

:pac:

He's been a great campaigner but yes - you can have too much of a good thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

With respect I think the comparison is very apt.

Absolutely the problem with cycling was that cyclists were not failing tests. On the rare occasions they did, the incident was explained away and forgotten.

The authorities could only test for substances there were tests for at the time and when they have a new test and want to test an old sample they have to get permission from the cyclist.

Same rules applied to racing and only a drunk, stoned Mr Ed might get done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

I suppose we can expect a Sunday Times analysis from David Walsh on this soon, given he was on the morning line the other day given his tuppence worth

He should be more concerned with looking at the Tour of Oman, and the clean results being posted!

Back to the issue though, its a little unfortunate that this saga has being allowed to rumble on for 2 years, that the Turf Club didn't know about it, and did nothing about it when they did find out.

God knows what will happen if the list of clients which John Hughes was supplying makes its way into the public domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

Andalucia wrote: »
    I suppose we can expect a Sunday Times analysis from David Walsh on this soon, given he was on the morning line the other day given his tuppence worth

He should be more concerned with looking at the Tour of Oman, and the clean results being posted!

Back to the issue though, its a little unfortunate that this saga has being allowed to rumble on for 2 years, that the Turf Club didn't know about it, and did nothing about it when they did find out.

God knows what will happen if the list of clients which John Hughes was supplying makes its way into the public domain.

TC cant do anything until after the court case as its a legal issue. This is according to Kevin Blake, piece linked here , must say I really enjoy this guys writing
    http://www.theirishfield.ie/site/article.php?id=4023&cid=5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

TC cant do anything until after the court case as its a legal issue. This is according to Kevin Blake, piece linked here , must say I really enjoy this guys writing
    http://www.theirishfield.ie/site/article.php?id=4023&cid=5

I cannot stand Kevin Blake's style and that article is typically condescending - how many times is the phrase "public perception" used? The public are all wrong, the public think unrelated cases are linked, the public expect six packs on horses now :rolleyes:

The blog itself is basically a rehash of Eddie O'Leary's statement. Steroids used to be legal in respected jurisdictions etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I think Kevin Blake is one of the best racing journalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    I cannot stand Kevin Blake's style and that article is typically condescending - how many times is the phrase "public perception" used? The public are all wrong, the public think unrelated cases are linked, the public expect six packs on horses now :rolleyes:

The blog itself is basically a rehash of Eddie O'Leary's statement. Steroids used to be legal in respected jurisdictions etc.

Blake starts off by rubbishing the Hughes case saying it was simply dismissed - it was only dismissed on its merits after he pleaded guilty to possession of steroids, made a donation to charity and covered the States costs.

Agree that article looks as if its sponsored by Eddie O'Leary, Mick got rid of the jockey, he should follow through and get rid of the brother, his tone and statement of support for Fenton was both naive and ignorant in the extreme

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

I actually thought it was well written in my opinion. It gave an insight into whats going on based on facts. He has researched the subject before writing and i take my hat off to him. i disagree with some responses to this although i do respect them all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Good to see his horses cleared,what next for for self publicist and crimebuster Barry Connell in his quest to clear up Irish racing.

Advertisement