Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.ie Domain for content / review based website with adsense - What category?

Options
  • 20-02-2014 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hello,

I have an information / review based .com site making a very small amount of money from adsense / affiliate links.

I would like to set up 2/3 similar format sites but with each one covering very different areas with .ie domains.

Should I register a business name before registering the domains?

This name would have to be a general business name as the subject matter of each site is different (the added value of the sites is sourcing quality / authority/ currency of content).

If someone then registered a business with the same name as one of my .ie domains would they have any right to it.

Or do I have to register a new business for every information based .ie site to have rights over it?

Or should I forget all this and just register under Discretionary name - Private individual (Does it matter that I have advertising)

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Is there a specific reason why you want to get the .ie domains instead of just sticking with the .com?

If you register a business name you can have multiple .ie domains tied to it as long as the registrar can see a correlation between the business name and the domain you are looking for.

If you look at the menu at the top under Biz - Talk to and go to Blacknights section I would recommend chatting to them, they are a domain and hosting supplier and can advise you on your best options.

http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/375

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

@Axwell - thanks, we're always happy to help

@Maple77

You can have one registered business name and then "hang' as many .ie domains as you want off it (within reason)

Registering a business name does not give you any special rights

And if you have a domain name first then someone else cannot go off, acquire "rights" and then go back and take the domain (in very simple terms)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Maple77

Thanks Blacknight / Axwell,

So unless I'm looking to match a domain name with a business name / brand there isn't any real advantage in registering as a business name over applying as a natural person (discretionary) ?

So now my remaining query relates to how I justify a 'clear claim' on the domains in the application letter.

I've set up one content / information / review based .com site and would like to purchase 4-5 .ie domains each covering very different areas - but also being information / review based sites.

Does this lack of connection between domains dilute ot jeopardise my 'clear claim' on the domains as far as the iedr are concerned.

One of the domains relates (thematically) to the .com I've set up , the other four are unrelated to it and to eachother. (other than being information/ review based)

Cheers lads

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If you're planning on registering multiple .ie domains and making money from the sites you need to register at least one business name.

You *might* be able to get away with not doing it, but you'll probably end up wasting a lot of time going back and forth with letters etc.,

Advertisement