Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding Mr. Right!

Options
  • 20-02-2014 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

I've never advertised for a job position in my business and have mainly hired contractors through people I know. I'm thinking I might have to broaden my search soon as I'm really after a pretty specific person and I don't want to waste anyone's time, including my own, putting up a general position role and wading through loads of applications.

I'm sure there's parts of this that will fall under discrimination but this is what I'm after:

Over 25 with a full, clean category B driver's license (Bonus points for additional categories)
    Responds quickly to phone calls, voice mails, sms, email
    Honest and Trustworthy
    Fair
    Reliable
    Responsible
    Great English, articulate, literate and lucid
    Very fit
    Very strong
    Spatially and balance aware (Imagine playing Jenga/Tetris with big, awkward, heavy expensive items and your stack being tested by speed bumps, pot holed country roads and sharp turns)
    Careful
    Relaxed
    Experience driving vans
    Can get to Dun Laoghaire easily and quickly with short notice (own transport a plus!)
    Good with computers including excel etc.
    Flexible with working hours and days in Ireland and throughout Europe.
    Doesn't smoke or drink much (for fitness and no hungover or slightly over the limit morning driving).

:pac:

As I charge my customers based on time, the fitness and strength is a major requirement. Imagine making 60 trips running up and down to a 6th floor apartment with no lift, carrying 30kg boxes, drenched in sweat or carrying an upright piano up a flight of stairs or a heavy, expensive glass cabinet down a winding stairs. Now there's a lot of people out there who wouldn't be right for this alone and then at the same time I'm looking for somebody who I can build enough trust with that they can possibly take over some of the running of the business at a later date.

Now how would I go about that? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

When you find out, please let us all know how you did it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

Reminds me of the Dalkey Intern job

http://www.salon.com/2012/12/12/worst_job_posting_ever/

in all seriousness though, there are things you cant ask in interview situation. If a decision to hire someone was health-related, couldn’t a case be made for not hiring people with with weight-related problems, such as high cholesterol or diabetes? or can a female not do the same job? And wouldn’t that raise discrimination concerns?

I know of a company who asked a female interviewee if she was married, in complete innocence, and she tried to sue them in the EAT as discrimination, she wasn't even working for them!

Carefully craft your job listing and then ask the questions in your own mind when interviewing them, use your judgement and you'll find someone. You'll surely hire someone on a probation period, so you'll know after a month if they are the right person.

Buttercake wrote: »

I would just like it to known that The Dalkey Archive Press is NOT based in Dalkey, for foksake!!

the name is a bit of a rip off from this http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/59642.The_Dalkey_Archive

So there!!

P:)

Dalkey Mustard is made in Inchicore lol

• Advertisement

Buttercake wrote: »
    Dalkey Mustard is made in Inchicore lol

Complete mare!! The EU should get on to this!! or I will tell Shatter!!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭McDonnellDean

This is essentially what you are looking for. Ultimately some of the stuff you listed can get you in hot water, aside from that you should never put all you eggs in one basket. The purpose of interviews (phone or otherwise) is to fine tune your final selection.

- Full, clean category B driver's license (additional categories advantageous)
    - Valid Passport and the requirements to travel throughout the EU
    - Great command of English, written, oral and comprehension.
    - Ability to work with and manipulate large and heavy stock in a safe manner.
    - Demonstrable experience driving a van or other large commercial vehicles.
    - Demonstrable experience with computers, particularly a competency in Microsoft Office
    - Ability to be flexible with working hours and days in Ireland and throughout Europe.
    - Ability to travel to and from Dun Laoghaire with ease (own transport advantageous)

This part is optional:

Upon successful application we may require you to undergo a medical exam in order to ensure you are physically capable to safely carry out your duties, this is in the interest of safety and will not be used in any other context.

About the drinking, I get your point. It might be wise to consult with a solicitor before asking someone to agree to submit to random breathalyser tests. Granted you may not ever do this but if it is legal it might be no harm to have it as a note on the application. In terms of smoking, be careful here too. I suggest the medical exam part. Ultimately you are not discriminating here, you are getting the advice of a medical professional to ensure that you are being a responsible employer. Check with a solicitor first but I can't imagine this would be an issue as you are basically ensuring the person does not have a heart attack on the job. I don't think however you can say they are not fit simply because they smoke.

Finally, practical tests can also weed out people who are lying to you so don't be afraid to do this. At the end of the day would you really have a problem with a 22 year old female who can lift, is always on time and has all the requirements met?

Finally I removed the crap, sure aren't we all honest, hardworking, thrustworthy and relaxed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for all the replies and that very helpful rehash of the ad above, which as helpful as it is, doesn't mention about fitness or strength at all, so is it to be considered that requesting such things is of discrimination somehow? Can I conduct my own medical by getting them to do these things? :D

The thing about the age is that my open drive fleet policy is for drivers 25+ and under 70. I know I can add someone not matching that on, but again, if I can narrow the field to be more suitable and the least hassle for me I'd prefer that. Wouldn't have a problem if the female was as capable at all, although my marketing of "Man with a Van" might have to change a little and that could certainly be a unique selling point :)

I was thinking to advertise in local gyms and places where a lot of strong and fit people might see it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭McDonnellDean

You are correct, you cannot really put fit and strong on the requirements as they are grey areas. A marathon runner could be considered fit and strong but might not be a good fit for you. This is why I suggested the practical of asking them to demonstrate it on the day. That way you are not really discriminating against them, you are simply giving them a valid idea of the physicality of the task.

The age thing is a complete no no, again I completely understand where you are coming from but a judge will see it as ageism by convenience so thread carefully here.

I don't see any harm advertising in places like a gym. In general it is sound advice to advertise in places your ideal candidates hang out.

Take a careful look at the changes I made to the ad. I specifically changed parts that might get you in trouble while gently making the reader aware of what they will be expected to fulfil should they be successful.

Personally I think you should be able to hire who you want, that way everyone knows what to expect. While I get the need for equality laws I would question if they simply hide the fact that people will ultimately make their decision based on factors that could be considered "grey"

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

I think you are going to need a driver with a completed cpc, which is missing of your list. You might get away without it on a light van but thats about it.

A completed manual handling course might give them an idea of whats required as well.

You could always look for someone with 5 years experience to rule out the under 25's

I notice you don't mention money because if you're not going to pay above the odds you will struggle on this. The guy you are looking for is already an ideal employee someplace and won't be let leave easily. If he's not already employed then check references closely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭wytch

You left out what the remuneration would be. I think that would be a major factor for the skill set described. You may want to check out the A Team. They would fit most of the bill. They might also be able to install a dashcam to a van.

Thanks again for the replies on this.

So if specifying an age is seen as ageism, is saying "minimum of 7 years driving experience" ok?

All my vehicles would be under 3.5t and fall into category B so the CPC isn't a requirement for now but again, it could narrow the field to a more suitable candidate, but may throw off better suited ones at the same time?

Yes I haven't included a wage or salary, this is very new to me as I'm used to just contracting the work out to people I know and have agreed a price with them per hour prior to them working.

This has potential to be more along the lines of a partnership than just a job and I think that's really what I'd prefer. To be able to find someone who matches closely to the above who I could pass on a lot of the responsibility too and give them a % of earnings as opposed to a wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

The person you are looking for is really a clone of yourself. I've read your post on the other tread and if thats the job description then it's a big ask. Guys with your drive and dedicated are rare and to find one as an employee or even a partner is even rarer. I understand your motivation on this. If you could replicate what you have now you could take the pressure of yourself and build a very nice business at the same time.

I'm sure you have thought of this already but I suppose the obvious thing is to promote your present helper. He seems to be a good guy and knows the ropes. That way you are looking for a helper rather than a driver and the right one could move on to a driving job in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

You should consult the H & SA regarding manual lifting guidelines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

cormie wrote: »

I'm sure there's parts of this that will fall under discrimination but this is what I'm after:

Great English, articulate, literate and lucid

StephenFry_0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

I know one company who have this in their requirements

WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
    The employee may frequently be required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities by this job include close vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Ok, so I'm going to have to get this sorted soon, having a lot of enquiries and am being a bit overwhelmed doing everything myself. I think it's best I look for someone with a view to pay them first as a contractor with a view then to establish a partnership with them if I feel they are up to it.

So going by the advice, my ad should be along the lines of:
    VanTasks.ie is currently looking to fill the position of a furniture removal porter contractor with a view to a full time position and promotion to hold a profit share in this young, expanding and highly reputable business. The successful candidate should meet all the below requirements:

- Full, clean category B driver's license (additional categories advantageous) with a minimum of 7 years driving experience.
    - Valid Passport and the requirements to travel throughout the EU.
    - Great command of English, written, oral and comprehension.
    - Ability to work with and manipulate large and heavy stock in a safe manner.
    - Demonstrable experience driving a van or other large commercial vehicles.
    - Demonstrable experience with computers, particularly a competency in Microsoft Office
    - Ability to be flexible with working hours and days in Ireland and throughout Europe.
    - Ability to travel to and from Dun Laoghaire with ease (own transport advantageous)

Upon successful application and due to the demanding physical requirements of the position, we may require you to undergo a medical exam in order to ensure you are physically capable to safely carry out your duties, this is in the interest of safety and will not be used in any other context.

How does that sound? All legal and above board for a start? What about the mention of contractor to full time to profit share? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

The person you are looking for is me :D

But i already run my own business. If you pm me some details, i actually have a previous employee who would fit the bill perfectly, save for the smoking part. Smart, honest guy and good with customers with a sales and security background. You might need to consider a good call plan for european trips though. He likes to call home alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

I don't mean to drag this OT, so won't comment further but wouldn't H&S / insurance company be looking for you to invest in motorized stair climbers for the most demanding of your examples? Seem to be used by a lot of delivery companies for heavy loads.
    http://www.powered-stairclimber.org.uk/

Advertisement