Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound modifier application

Options
  • 20-02-2014 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭

Quick question for those in the know.
    A new application for a silencer.Does that require a new FAC application form for an existing firearm,or can an an application letter be included in a renewal form for an existing FAC?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

A letter in with your renewal is the way to go then there is no extra cost.
    Just tick the box and include your reasons on an added piece if paper.

If not at renewal I'd be asking the FO can he add it to your license after explaining him the reasons for needing it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

It can be applied for in the renewal.

If seeking one outside of a renewal then technically it's a new application, just for the Mod, and will incur a fee of €80. Some people have had success having it added to their existing license, but this is not the standard so don't go in expecting or demanding it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

FAC or Irish licence Grizz?

If you mean an Irish licence, then legally you don't technically don't renew them, you reapply every three years on an FCA1 so you can just tick the moderator box on the next application. Practically, though, it's going to come down to how the local super wants to do things, the fine detail of how the forms work isn't specified in the act anywhere (the law usually says something like "The form of application ... shall be in accordance with Form I ... or with such modification of that Form as may be suitable" which gives them a lot of leeway (that's from the 1976 regulations btw)).

If your licence isn't up for another year or whatever though, you can't just wait before asking :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Thanks lads.
    No,mine is up for renewal,so I was just filling in the renewal form and figured it now be the time to stick in the application for one.Whether it goes anywhere is another thing.
    Grizz.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Good thinking. Easy to have the s you don't have to use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

Cass wrote: »
    It can be applied for in the renewal.

If seeking one outside of a renewal then technically it's a new application, just for the Mod, and will incur a fee of €80. Some people have had success having it added to their existing license, but this is not the standard so don't go in expecting or demanding it.
    Can you apply on a substitution Cass?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Just for others info.
    I was one of the lucky ones who got the magic 'S' on an already issued license. I sent the FAO a letter that outlined my reasons for it as well as the relevant details from my license. I never queried additional charges just played dumb.
    Got it back in less than a month, no charge.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

4200fps wrote: »
    Can you apply on a substitution Cass?
    You can.

Not being a smart arse but you can apply for anything. Whether it's going to work or not is the decision of the Super. See Cookimonster's situation:
    I sent the FAO a letter that outlined my reasons for it as well as the relevant details from my license. I never queried additional charges just played dumb.
    Got it back in less than a month, no charge.
    The thing is this is not the standard and not actually the way it "should be done". However it is done at the Super's discretion. Like i said above:
    Cass wrote: »
    Some people have had success having it added to their existing license, but this is not the standard so don't go in expecting or demanding it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

I know your in limerick somewhere and I got knocked back on adding a mod to my licence with a sub only last month in Henry St.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

I know your in limerick somewhere and I got knocked back on adding a mod to my licence with a sub only last month in Henry St.

The garda don't like moderators in general from what I can see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

My license is up for renewal I already have a mod on it, do I just tick the box for the Mod on the prepopulated form or do I have have to reapply for it again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Tikkat3

My license is up for renewal I already have a mod on it, do I just tick the box for the Mod on the prepopulated form or do I have have to reapply for it again?

That's what what I did with the prepopulated forms and I photocopied any documents from the original application and submitted it. Got the renewal with permission on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Tikkat3 wrote: »
    That's what what I did with the prepopulated forms and I photocopied any documents from the original application and submitted it. Got the renewal with permission on it.

Hmmmmm, I copied my original application for the rifle now where the fuarrk is it?😥

Advertisement