If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speaker issue.

Options
  • 20-02-2014 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I had PM'd John but he is probably flat out :)

I bought the Monitor Audio Radius HD system off you guys a few years ago. Nice setup smile.pngI have a bit of a problem though and need a bit of advice. I converted our attic room into a cinema room about a year ago. The R225HD speaker has been in behind the projector screen since then and had no issues. I had to remove the screen yesterday to check something and I saw that part of the speaker was hanging off! Its seems to have broken off as you can see all the notches where it should be attached.

So few questions, what could have caused this? Its been in there since last year and wont have been touched. The screen is heavy so no kids would have been at it.

What should I do here? Is it a case of I need to send it off to get fixed or can it just be put back in place...somehow? *Seems* to work fine.

Cheers!

Chris

(Pic attached - for some reason it has flipped horizontally and vertically!..)

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

chris_ie wrote: »
    Hi,
      I had PM'd John but he is probably flat out :)

I bought the Monitor Audio Radius HD system off you guys a few years ago. Nice setup smile.pngI have a bit of a problem though and need a bit of advice. I converted our attic room into a cinema room about a year ago. The R225HD speaker has been in behind the projector screen since then and had no issues. I had to remove the screen yesterday to check something and I saw that part of the speaker was hanging off! Its seems to have broken off as you can see all the notches where it should be attached.

So few questions, what could have caused this? Its been in there since last year and wont have been touched. The screen is heavy so no kids would have been at it.

What should I do here? Is it a case of I need to send it off to get fixed or can it just be put back in place...somehow? *Seems* to work fine.

Cheers!

Chris

(Pic attached - for some reason it has flipped horizontally and vertically!..)
    Hi Chris,

Wow!  That's odd.  Has the grille been of the speaker from the start?  Or just for the photo?  

It looks like the driver has come completely off.  If the driver is still working fine then it should be an easy enough fix.  On the back of the speaker you'll notice bolts holding the drivers in place.  Check to see if the bolt from this driver is lose, if so then try and secure it to the driver again and tighten it back up.

Hopefully that'll solve it.

Let me know how it goes.

Chris 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

I had the grille on up until I placed it behind the screen. Just after remembering, I think my nephew knocked this speaker to the floor (about a 2ft fall) when we were in a previous house. Was fine after but maybe the damage was done then. I'll check the bolts. How would I secure the part hanging off back on again? (Really need to read up on speaker terminology again!)

I had the grille on up until I placed it behind the screen. Just after remembering, I think my nephew knocked this speaker to the floor (about a 2ft fall) when we were in a previous house. Was fine after but maybe the damage was done then. I'll check the bolts. How would I secure the part hanging off back on again? (Really need to read up on speaker terminology again!)
    Hi Chris_ie.

After looking at the photo myself, I'm not sure that this can be fixed.

It looks like the driver has came off the magnet. A drop of any height will not have helped this speaker and most likely has loosened the cone.

Does the speaker in fact work? Is this one used as your centre speaker?

If you remove the bolts from the rear as Chris said the whole driver can be removed and checked if there is anyway to re-attach but I think it might be dead (technical term).

Hi Chris_ie.

It looks like the driver has came off the magnet. A drop of any height will not have helped this speaker and most likely has loosened the cone.

If you remove the bolts from the rear as Chris said the whole driver can be removed and checked if there is anyway to re-attach but I think it might be dead (technical term).
    Hey Kenny,

I'm planning to give a proper look this weekend when I get a chance, I had been constantly playing with the center speaker volume before as the balance wasn't quite right between dialogue and surround sound at times, always just put it down to configuration but maybe this had a part to play in it too. With the grille always been on I wouldnt have noticed the break. I took the grille off, mounted and it's been behind the screen for the past year or so. If I need a replacement how much would it set me back? Do you still stock that model?

Cheers.

Chris.

Edit : If I had to replace, let me know if you have any other suggestions for a good center that would go with the R90's and R370. Had no issues with the R225 though bar the fiddling with the levels for dialogue.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi Chris_ie.

Hey Kenny,

I'm planning to give a proper look this weekend when I get a chance, I had been constantly playing with the center speaker volume before as the balance wasn't quite right between dialogue and surround sound at times, always just put it down to configuration but maybe this had a part to play in it too. With the grille always been on I wouldnt have noticed the break. I took the grille off, mounted and it's been behind the screen for the past year or so. If I need a replacement how much would it set me back? Do you still stock that model?

Cheers.

Chris.

Edit : If I had to replace, let me know if you have any other suggestions for a good center that would go with the R90's and R370. Had no issues with the R225 though bar the fiddling with the levels for dialogue.
    Chris,

many thanks for the posts - I've been keeping an eye on them :)

To be honest I don't think there is anything we can do under warranty for you on your existing 225 - I cant really see the detail of the image but it does look like one of the screws that holds the driver basket on is bent and the other ones have been sheared - as you suggest I'd guess that this has come from the impact when it was dropped - the damaged driver is certainly a write-off and there may be further damage.

You can just replace the driver and that would be approx. €69 delivered - alternatively we do have a very few of the 225HD left brand new boxed  ( I think they are in white) which we would clear at £89.95 / €109.99.

To be fair to the 225 it really is an exceptional centre and you will spend multiples of the sub £90 to get a better unit ( an of course a new one, or your own with a fresh driver) will just slot back into the same space..

Thanks again for the posts, sorry for the inconvenience, and keep us posted if we can help in any way,

Best regards,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Advertisement

Hi John,

Thats not too bad then :) I'll have a look when I get home and I'll get in touch with you guys about ordering the new driver.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Cheers!

Chris

Hi John,

Thats not too bad then :) I'll have a look when I get home and I'll get in touch with you guys about ordering the new driver.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Cheers!

Chris
    No problem - that's why we're here!

Keep us posted,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

So I took screen down again today and tested it out. Sure enough that driver doesn't work! Would explain why I was having issues messing with the center speaker. I'll order the replacement driver off you guys, is it easy enough to replace in the 225HD? Didn't get a chance to get the screw driver to it yet. I'll give you a call tomorrow to order.

Cheers.

So I took screen down again today and tested it out. Sure enough that driver doesn't work! Would explain why I was having issues messing with the center speaker. I'll order the replacement driver off you guys, is it easy enough to replace in the 225HD? Didn't get a chance to get the screw driver to it yet. I'll give you a call tomorrow to order.

Cheers.
    Chris,

no problem - it's a simple enough swap out - you will need your allen keys at the ready :)

Give us a shout and we will order one in for you,

Thanks again,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Cheers John, rang store and left a message (lines busy :)).

• Advertisement

Hi chris_ie.

Think you left it on the mail order voice mail. (I have no access to).
    If you could PM me a contact number I can call you to get the ball rolling.
    Cheers John, rang store and left a message (lines busy :)).

Hi chris_ie.

Crap. Ha sorry about that. Just got a call from Dave and sorted now :)Thanks.

Hi chris_ie.

Crap. Ha sorry about that. Just got a call from Dave and sorted now :)Thanks.
    Hey Chris_ie.

No problem at all. At least one of us got you sorted :D

Hey,
          Just wondering did you the the MA order in yet?

Cheers.

Chris.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi Chris, unfortunately not as yet.

We are expecting a delivery but as yet it hasn't arrived.

We are on the case and I'll drop you a line as soon as I hear anything.

Sorry for the long wait.

ATB

Dave 

Hi Chris, unfortunately not as yet.

We are expecting a delivery but as yet it hasn't arrived.

We are on the case and I'll drop you a line as soon as I hear anything.

Sorry for the long wait.

ATB

Dave 
    No problem Dave. Cheers for the update.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.