Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent increase and notice

Options
  • 20-02-2014 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Our lease was up on the 17th February and the day before we received a letter stating our rent would increase by Eur210 per month from the 1st April.
    We have been in the property for 3 years.

I believe by law we have to give 56 days notice if we want to move out?
    This means the notice period will run into after the date the rent is meant to increase.

Do we have to pay the higher rent during the notice period? If so this doesnt seem fair....
    I have left a few messages for the property agent this week but am still yet to hear from them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If you dont plan on disputing the increase then I believe you are liable to pay the increased amount as per the notice, however Im sure if you speak to your landlord you can come to some arrangement seeing as how you are moving out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 summer00

Actually even through our lease is February to February they increased the rent last year on the 1st May (and back dated the lease) so they cant increase it again until the 1st May of this year so trying to increase it on the 1st April is not legal - is this right.....

Correct. Rent can only be reviewed once in a 12 month period.

Great that gives us time to give our 56 days notice and some breathing space!!!

One more quick question - we moved into our current house on the 17th Feb 2011, have not signed a new lease for 2014. Do we need to give 56 days notice (three years) or 84 (four years)?

• Advertisement

You would need to give 84 days are you are in the property between 3 and 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

djimi wrote: »
    You would need to give 84 days are you are in the property between 3 and 4 years.

Are you sure on that? I think it caps at 56 days for tenants
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/types_of_tenancy.html

295064.jpg

Yup youre right; I got mixed up between landlord and tenant notice periods :o

Advertisement