Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wheelchair taxi

Options
  • 20-02-2014 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭

Anyone got experience of using wheelchair taxis. I was in a vw transporter one recently,and the chair did not fit in properly. It was wedged in so tightly the taxi guy could not even clamp it. To make matters worse ,he took so long to put the wheelchair and user into the cab and try to clamp it,he managed to clock up another 7euro on top of his pick up fee. He was more than happy when another taxi double parked alongside him blocking us in,while the other guy dropped off his fare. Are there any rules regards size of the cab for wheelchair use and can the meter be left running as the loading up takes place. This all took place at the mater hospital official taxi pick up point. If i call the taxi firm again (<SNIP>) and i have the same trouble,can i refuse the taxi sent to pick me up? I wont go into how obnoxious the driver was, but the taxi and driver (same firm)who brought me to the hospital (roomy taxi and pleasent driver) were the opposite to said driver.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Why not contact the firm and explain all this? They may tell you exactly what to request for future bookings.

• Administrators Posts: 14,101 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

.. and may even refund you.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Contact the National Transport Authority who oversee taxis in Ireland. They be able to advise on the legal requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭littlelulu

Wow!!! I have been in the company of wheelchair users several times and have never seen or heard of the meter running while the person is being assisted/clamped. Thats very poor from the driver to be honest.

I have heard all sorts regarding clamping though. One taxi didn't even have clamps.

Its just a joke and the wheelchair taxis are so scarce that they feel they can say or do as they please. Of course some drivers are extremely pleasant and helpful but there certainly are some nasty ones.

I would definetely discuss it with the taxi firm. Thats really not on!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

The problem is running a disabled access taxi is a lot more expensive ergo disabled people should pay more or else no one will want to run a disabled access taxi, Recently a disability group took a belfast taxi company to court because a disabled person was paying more, unfortunately all they achieved was less disabled taxis on the road, my understanding is disabled people get a mobility payment to cover the Additional expense of commuting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭horse7

Have emailed the taxi firm Gxxxxxx and no reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

gallag wrote: »
    The problem is running a disabled access taxi is a lot more expensive ergo disabled people should pay more or else no one will want to run a disabled access taxi, Recently a disability group took a belfast taxi company to court because a disabled person was paying more, unfortunately all they achieved was less disabled taxis on the road, my understanding is disabled people get a mobility payment to cover the Additional expense of commuting.

:eek: ya won't get too many wheelchairs into a bog standard cheap Superb

Don't forget pre registered also!!! Guess what I paid for it though? ?

it was a vw transporter

horse7 wrote: »
    it was a vw transporter
    Yes I know,but yer man Gallig who wants to charge wheelchair users more for using wheelchair taxis more driver a Superb.
    His logic is w/c users get a mobility grant so they should pay more for using taxis designed to carry them.:confused:
    Does public transport cost more,do w/c users have to pay more to use cinema or theatre wheelchair ramps,or even better if they go into a restaurant do they get a discount because they brought their own chair !!:rolleyes:
    Mobility grant as afaik,is because they have to use taxis and public transport,because they have no choice,not because they want to. So why should they pay more ?

• Advertisement

Yes I know,but yer man Gallig who wants to charge wheelchair users more for using wheelchair taxis more driver a Superb.
    His logic is w/c users get a mobility grant so they should pay more for using taxis designed to carry them.:confused:
    Does public transport cost more,do w/c users have to pay more to use cinema or theatre wheelchair ramps,or even better if they go into a restaurant do they get a discount because they brought their own chair !!:rolleyes:
    Mobility grant as afaik,is because they have to use taxis and public transport,because they have no choice,not because they want to. So why should they pay more ?

You just don't understand supply and demand, taxis are owner driver, wheelchair access taxis cost a lot more and there are relatively very few people in wheelchairs. What would you propose?

Originally Posted by gallag
    The problem is running a disabled access taxi is a lot more expensive ergo disabled people should pay more
    , my understanding is disabled people get a mobility payment to cover the Additional expense of commuting.

So you think you are entitled to charge more because they get disability benefit.
    Would you charge Bill Gates more "because he rich".
    I don't give a dam that taxis are owner drivers. If you can't make a living ,get out of the business. You are not owed a living,many small business have unfortunately gone under,but however unpalatable that is,it's life.

You just don't understand supply and demand, taxis are owner driver, wheelchair access taxis cost a lot more and there are relatively very few people in wheelchairs. What would you propose?

I think my friend that it is you and your colleagues that don't understand the laws of supply and demand. Not too many years ago there was a demand for taxis in Dublin that the taximen would not meet. They picked and chose their hours,did whatever they wanted and then went home leaving the travelling public with no taxis. This was of course their prerogative as they were "owner drivers".
    Then the industry was deregulated and while I would have some sympathy for ppl trying to make a living with so many taxis out there the problem of supply and demand has been fixed.
    Anyway to get back on track It is not right that w/c users should pay more. Accessable taxis should be in some way way free of vat or down here VRT,that may level the pitch somewhat.

I think my friend that it is you and your colleagues that don't understand the laws of supply and demand. Not too many years ago there was a demand for taxis in Dublin that the taximen would not meet. They picked and chose their hours,did whatever they wanted and then went home leaving the travelling public with no taxis. This was of course their prerogative as they were "owner drivers".
    Then the industry was deregulated and while I would have some sympathy for ppl trying to make a living with so many taxis out there the problem of supply and demand has been fixed.
    Anyway to get back on track It is not right that w/c users should pay more. Accessable taxis should be in some way way free of vat or down here VRT,that may level the pitch somewhat.

You are just ranting really, your very last sentence is not a bad idea, there needs to be incentive for a taxi driver to spend more buying and running a wheelchair access taxi, quite simply why would you run one to make less money? I stay away from running one because of the hassle! The system in place seems to work I.e disabled people get a mobility payment to cover the extra cost of commuting but if the government wanted to of set the added cost in another way like tax incentives, grant for outfitting a disabled access taxi etc that could work.

It's a fine line because remember if you force disabled access taxis to charge the same as someone running a 5 seat saloon car all you will achieve is no taxis for disabled people.

Originally Posted by gallag
    The problem is running a disabled access taxi is a lot more expensive ergo disabled people should pay more
    , my understanding is disabled people get a mobility payment to cover the Additional expense of commuting.

So you think you are entitled to charge more because they get disability benefit.
    Would you charge Bill Gates more "because he rich".
    I don't give a dam that taxis are owner drivers. If you can't make a living ,get out of the business. You are not owed a living,many small business have unfortunately gone under,but however unpalatable that is,it's life.

This makes no sense, I do make a living working as a taxi driver, I do not run a disabled access taxi because I do not think it is worth the hassle/running costs, and yes it is absolutely fair to charge someone in a wheelchair extra to use a taxi van more than someone using a i40 or something, what do you feel the mobility payment should be spent on? We as a society collectively pay disabled people a payment to of set the additional cost of commuting, no harm in spending that payment on the additional cost of commuting.

This makes no sense, I do make a living working as a taxi driver, I do not run a disabled access taxi because I do not think it is worth the hassle/running costs, and yes it is absolutely fair to charge someone in a wheelchair extra to use a taxi van more than someone using a i40 or something, what do you feel the mobility payment should be spent on? We as a society collectively pay disabled people a payment to of set the additional cost of commuting, no harm in spending that payment on the additional cost of commuting.

How the payment is used is neither yours or my business. I would think the payment is to offset the NUMBER of extra taxi,bus or train journeys w/c users have to make. You,me and the majority of ppl have the luxury of having a car at our beck and call,we can go where we want at a seconds notice as often as we want,most disabled ppl do not have this luxury.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

The system in place seems to work I.e disabled people get a mobility payment to cover the extra cost of commuting

This is the second time in this thread you've made this assertion which happens to be untrue.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

This link gives a pretty comprehensive overview of the old mobility allowance.
    To the best of my knowledge- its being phased out.

soccerc wrote: »
    This is the second time in this thread you've made this assertion which happens to be untrue.

Is it?

Is it?

Yes, see The_Conductor's post above.

• Advertisement

soccerc wrote: »
    Yes, see The_Conductor's post above.

I did, seems to support my claim that disabled people can get a mobility payment to cover the additional cost of travelling. No?

I did, seems to support my claim that disabled people can get a mobility payment to cover the additional cost of travelling. No?

No it doesn't, Your claim was "disabled people get a mobility payment to cover the extra cost of commuting".

The Mobility Allowance was a means tested payment payable to qualifying persons aged between 16 and 65 with extremely strict eligibility criteria.

There were less than 4700 persons in receipt of this allowance and not all at the full rate.

Now considering the Irish Wheelchair Association has in excess of 20,000 members this means less than 25% of that one group catering for Disabled persons.

Have emailed the taxi firm Gxxxxxx and no reply.
    got the following reply Subject: FW: Gxxxx taxis New Comment
    Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 09:45:16 +0000
    To: xxx
    Dear xxx
    Please send me the details of your booking and I will investigate this matter.
    Kindest Regards

xxx
    Customer Service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

got the following reply Subject: FW: Gxxxx taxis New Comment
    Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 09:45:16 +0000
    To: xxx
    Dear xxx
    Please send me the details of your booking and I will investigate this matter.
    Kindest Regards

xxx
    Customer Service

Did you not give all the details of the booking in question when you emailed them originally?

I do not care what happened in the past,i want to know what the policy is now, i have sent back a email. Dear Kxxx, please reply to the following questions as outlined in my previous email, re; So if you could tell me the following i would be grateful, if i book a taxi for a wheelchair and when the taxi arrives and i find it is not big enough for the chair,am i liable to pay for the taxi? and does the chair have to be clamped ? regards xxx

Advertisement