Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wooden double gate

Options
  • 20-02-2014 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭

Hello

Looking to replace the mother-in-law's back garden old gate that got damaged in the recent winds. Was mostly the rotten plywood that snapped, but the rest isnt in much better condition.
    Each gate half is 1800mm X 1120mm. It is made of 175mm X 27mm timber, could be planed PSE, im no expert. And covered on one side with 10mm plywood.

Im trying to source material to replace the gate, but guys like Woodies and B&Q are quite expensive. Instead of 175mmX27mm I can get 145mmX19mm planed PSE, which is thinner but should still be okay. And they do have the 10mm plywood there.
    Anyone know of places/prices for similar timber in the Swords area?

Currently working out at about 150 euro for the materials for the complete gate, excluding treatment and paint.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 CMARTY10

Jacovs wrote: »
    Hello

Looking to replace the mother-in-law's back garden old gate that got damaged in the recent winds. Was mostly the rotten plywood that snapped, but the rest isnt in much better condition.
    Each gate half is 1800mm X 1120mm. It is made of 175mm X 27mm timber, could be planed PSE, im no expert. And covered on one side with 10mm plywood.

Im trying to source material to replace the gate, but guys like Woodies and B&Q are quite expensive. Instead of 175mmX27mm I can get 145mmX19mm planed PSE, which is thinner but should still be okay. And they do have the 10mm plywood there.
    Anyone know of places/prices for similar timber in the Swords area?

Currently working out at about 150 euro for the materials for the complete gate, excluding treatment and paint.

grab a few pallets there free in your local industrial estate......otherwise you may fork out the money for some nice wood from the builders providers or woodies etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

CMARTY10 wrote: »
    grab a few pallets there free in your local industrial estate......otherwise you may fork out the money for some nice wood from the builders providers or woodies etc....

The pressure treated stock should be ok but the plywood I see in Woodies is complete rubbish. You need to get 'WBP' ply at least if painted and even marine ply if varnished.
    Woodies charge about the same for a 1/3 sheet as a whole sheet from most builders providers - you are paying for the convenience of putting it in your car. !
    I would think your design should be robust enough to stand up to storm force winds - maybe a slatted design would be better - unless there is a privacy issue.

Advertisement