Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lactation consultant courses

Options
  • 20-02-2014 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi, can anyone recommend some reputable online or correspondence courses in the subjects needed to become a LC if you don't have a medical background? (biology; anatomy; physiology; infant & child growth & development; nutrition)

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Greebo_24 wrote: »
    Hi, can anyone recommend some reputable online or correspondence courses in the subjects needed to become a LC if you don't have a medical background? (biology; anatomy; physiology; infant & child growth & development; nutrition)

TIA

Also very interested in this - would love to know what's involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Greebo_24

dublinlady wrote: »
    Also very interested in this - would love to know what's involved.

you can find all the info you need about what subjects you have to do by going on the IBLC website, you also need clinical hours doing mother support like through LLL or cuidiu. But the IBLC don't endorse any courses so it's a bit baffling trying to figure out which ones are worth doing especially online as there are so many!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I'd say ciudiu or la Leche league are the best starting places. You could also apply to train for the buddy system with friends of breastfeeding. It's a little more ordinary and grass roots than being a lactation consultant but it would give you an idea of whether or not you enjoy it enough to carry on to being a counsellor or lactation consultant.

I'd say ciudiu or la Leche league are the best starting places. You could also apply to train for the buddy system with friends of breastfeeding. It's a little more ordinary and grass roots than being a lactation consultant but it would give you an idea of whether or not you enjoy it enough to carry on to being a counsellor or lactation consultant.

There's no cuidiu in my county and the nearest lll is at the other end from me! The breastfeeding buddy seems to only be in Dublin at the moment. I am in a hse run support group though. Definitely something i want to pursue so need the courses under my belt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

• Advertisement

Sligo1 wrote: »

They were my 1st port of call but don't provide or recommend any of the courses needed nor does the certification body IBLC

Greebo_24 wrote: »
    They were my 1st port of call but don't provide or recommend any of the courses needed nor does the certification body IBLC

Ah ok... Sorry bout that. Just clicked on one of their links there and it says error. I woulda thought they would've had all the info for ye... Sorry bout that

Would you try contacting a lactation consultant directly and enquiring what process they went through?

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Would you try contacting a lactation consultant directly and enquiring what process they went through?

yeah was thinking about doing that if i got no joy elsewhere the only ones i know at the moment all came through the medical route either midwives or nurses. Thanks

Advertisement