Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting someone to estimate renovation works

• 20-02-2014 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Sorry if this has been asked loads before but I did some searching and I'm still unsure of the answer.

Were going to view a house next week which needs some work (new windows, re-wiring, new kitchen/bathroom & possibly knocking 1 wall)

In order to get an estimate of the costs involved should we get a builder or a QS to help out at this stage? My other half would manage the project (he's a full time dad with some building experience) rather than getting a contractor in to do the full job.

Would either of these expect to be paid to meet us?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

I'm sure most people who are strangers to you and trying to run a business would happily give up their time for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Ms bean counter

I'm sure most people who are strangers to you and trying to run a business would happily give up their time for free.

Only asking the question! I'm not expecting or assuming they would give up their time for free but I was just wondering what the usual arrangements are in these circumstances.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

well if you get a builder in and have no intention of using him, then why do that? Get a QS. A QS would meet you for free, but he will charge you to do up an estimate.

Again, not sure why you want them to meet you for free? they will be charging something for the service they provide one way or another, so if you are only using them then dont waste their time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Ms bean counter

OK will contact a QS so. I don't mind paying for good advice, I know it's worth it in the long run. No point putting in a offer on a house we couldn't afford to renovate.

Advertisement