Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working abroad for summer

Options
  • 20-02-2014 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

I'm 18 and currently in 6 year I finish school in June and I'm looking to go aboard for the summer to work, does anyone know if I can maybe get a visa for Australia, USA or Canada or even any work placements around Europe? Iv heard of working for nightclubs in Spain but it's not something I'm interested in. I'd rather have a normal job rather than work with drunken people ect

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

TheBoss11 wrote: »
    I'm 18 and currently in 6 year I finish school in June and I'm looking to go aboard for the summer to work, does anyone know if I can maybe get a visa for Australia, USA or Canada or even any work placements around Europe? Iv heard of working for nightclubs in Spain but it's not something I'm interested in. I'd rather have a normal job rather than work with drunken people ect

Its going to have to be in the EU. You wont get a visa outside of Europe so late. The Spainish economy is twice as bad as ours. Your best opinion is Germany or Austria. But you kinda have to know German to work there.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭TheBoss11

hfallada wrote: »
    Its going to have to be in the EU. You wont get a visa outside of Europe so late. The Spainish economy is twice as bad as ours. Your best opinion is Germany or Austria. But you kinda have to know German to work there.

Is there any way I could get away with it knowing little german?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

I spent 6 years in Greece (April too October) months working as a dj. Best thing I ever done! Meet lots of people,grow up a bit, learn new ways too do things. If your not interested in working at night with drunk people then work by day in restaurants, pool bar's etc etc it doesn't have too be night work

MrMac84 wrote: »
    I spent 6 years in Greece (April too October) months working as a dj. Best thing I ever done! Meet lots of people,grow up a bit, learn new ways too do things. If your not interested in working at night with drunk people then work by day in restaurants, pool bar's etc etc it doesn't have too be night work

How did you get the opportunity to work abroad? Is there any websites that offer summer work in Europe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

How did you get the opportunity to work abroad? Is there any websites that offer summer work in Europe?

Dunno. But anyone I know who done a season like that just arrives end April/ early May and starts too ask around about work and thats how they source it

• Advertisement

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Dunno. But anyone I know who done a season like that just arrives end April/ early May and starts too ask around about work and thats how they source it

Seems though going just getting up and going to a foreign country. Il look into it though thank you very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Chronically Bad Farts

You could fly out to either Germany, Holland or Belgium & ask around the construction sites for any helpers required, if you don't mind working in construction? Seems to be a lot of building going on in those countries at the moment.

You could fly out to either Germany, Holland or Belgium & ask around the construction sites for any helpers required, if you don't mind working in construction? Seems to be a lot of building going on in those countries at the moment.

Sounds good actually!!! Never thought of that! I'd love to go to Germany for the summer just as a break and also to see other places in the world so that's definitely something I'm going to look at. Do you think my local job centre could pull a few strings?

Sounds good actually!!! Never thought of that! I'd love to go to Germany for the summer just as a break and also to see other places in the world so that's definitely something I'm going to look at. Do you think my local job centre could pull a few strings?

Your best bet would be to target the Irish & UK based building contractors that are working in those countries, there's loads of them. Call to the site in person & ask to speak with the project manager, he might find something for you.

Your best bet would be to target the Irish & UK based building contractors that are working in those countries, there's loads of them. Call to the site in person & ask to speak with the project manager, he might find something for you.

Thanks a million! Do you know of any of those company's by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Do you think my local job centre could pull a few strings?

There is high unemployment all over Europe, especially in unskilled areas, what do you expect they can do for you??

Language skills are also going to be an issue, given the choice most employers will select someone who speaks the local language first and with so many unemployed right now, finding people who speak the local language is not too difficult.

If you do decide to go, you should be well prepared, have you already saved the price of a return fare, living expenses to cover you for the first month while you search for a job and money for deposits you'll need for rent etc???

Thanks a million! Do you know of any of those company's by any chance?

To name a few:

Sisk group
    BAM contractors
    The Jones group
    Kentz
    Sepam
    DPS
    Jacobs engineering

They tend to hire Irish & Brits over locals abroad.

To name a few:

Sisk group
    BAM contractors
    The Jones group
    Kentz
    Sepam
    DPS
    Jacobs engineering

They tend to hire Irish & Brits over locals abroad.

Thank you very much

Advertisement