Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greystones Harbour

Options
  • 20-02-2014 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi all,

A while back I was kayaking in the harbour (freezing in January I know),and I ventured into the area where the marina was and paddled around for a while.

A lovely gentleman from the marina walked over and asked me to leave as it was a private marina.

Now that is fair enough if I was on the marina itself, but I was only in the water and never went near any of the boats.

Is this correct? Is that entire section of the harbour private?

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

security I guess - if you're not allowed to just walk onto the pontoons (which you're not) then presumably you're not allowed approach from the water either.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

I would think the opposite. AFIK the sea is never private. You can be prevented form accessing it from the land and can be prevented from landing on a private beach (although I'm not even sure you can do that) but no one owns the sea so I would say the security person was not within his rights.

That said I wouldn't recommend kayaking in a marina when its busy (albeit that it would not have been so when you visited)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Bit of a security hole if random visitors were allowed to approach moored boats from the water side. The inner harbour is not exactly the high seas so I would expect that the marina operator is well within his rights to ask uninvited craft to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Have the harbour byelaws been passed by the Town Council? Such as speeds which boats can go and once inside the harbour walls you are governed by the harbour bye laws such as restricted areas?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

JandS wrote: »
    Hi all,

A while back I was kayaking in the harbour (freezing in January I know),and I ventured into the area where the marina was and paddled around for a while.

A lovely gentleman from the marina walked over and asked me to leave as it was a private marina.

Now that is fair enough if I was on the marina itself, but I was only in the water and never went near any of the boats.

Is this correct? Is that entire section of the harbour private?

Thanks,

Did he have a security uniform on or was he in civilian clothes? I mean..sure he could have been any auld loo la..did he identify himself? Im not sure that place even has a valid licenc..i know what ida told him....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭JandS

hi again,

I wasnt going near the boats, I was just paddling around the circumference.

Seems very strange to me that an entire section of harbour can be private, fair enough for the berths.

regarding uniform as far as I can remember, he was wearing a grey jacket with the marina logo on it.

Where can I find this out? I'd love to:

a) be right
    b) rub it in his yachty face

Thanks

was it this guy?

found+the+skipper+_3dcef2b6652c107191c1d3111047d74c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Zebbedee

I would have suggested he take a long walk off a short pier :D

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭bido

Typical just shows what has happened to the harbour where everyone could walk around . Now there is a section for the well off and the rest of us can walk in the other parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

The State owns the water tell him to go away in what ever manner grabs you.

• Advertisement

Huntthe wrote: »
    The State owns the water tell him to go away in what ever manner grabs you.

is that your legal opinion? So I can kayak into Dublin Port if the fancy takes me?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I believe in any port or harbour once there are byelaws in force you are bound by those. It's still not clear to me if the byelaws have been passed at council level??!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

loyatemu wrote: »
    is that your legal opinion? So I can kayak into Dublin Port if the fancy takes me?

That's the law of the land.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Huntthe wrote: »
    That's the law of the land.

But is it the law of the sea? :D:eek: joke

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    But is it the law of the sea? :D:eek: joke

Arr, I hate the sea and everything in it

captain.gif

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

loyatemu wrote: »

Yes
    Attention is also drawn to the fact that small boats sailing, rowing or proceeding underpower within the limits of the Harbour are strictly required to keep out of the fairway channel.

and
    All private or leisure craft are prohibited from entering or approaching any of the basins, berths or jetties within the port
    No...

Advertisement