Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

pump Back Boiler

• 20-02-2014 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Quick question. I'm trying to cut down my big elec. bill and was just wondering. When I light the fire and flick on switch for pump do I have to leave pump for few hours or is there a set amount of time I can leave pump on for and then switch off?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

In the grand scale of things your pump is not using a significant amount of power, you need to be looking somewhere else for the big ticket items, the pump will run for pretty much 8 to 10 hours on one unit of electricity, maybe longer, depending on the size of it.

It all depends on how hard the back boiler is being fired.

The pump is circulating the water to the cylinder or radiators, if it's off, then either the back boiler will get very hot, possibly overheat, or the devices it's supplying won't get the heat they need to function. If the fire is lit, and you're pushing the heat through the back boiler, then the pump really needs to be operating.

If the diverter is not open to give the back boiler priority, then there's not the same heat being produced in the back boiler, so the pump is not essential.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

crunchie44 wrote: »
    Quick question. I'm trying to cut down my big elec. bill and was just wondering. When I light the fire and flick on switch for pump do I have to leave pump for few hours or is there a set amount of time I can leave pump on for and then switch off?

Don't put any such device as a diverter valve on the primary circuit of a solid fuel heating appliance. Not should you be using a switch to turn on the pump. Simply put a thermostat on the flow as close to the stove as possible. Set to 60. This will then decide when the pump should kick on and off

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Ok, need to clear up some possible confusion here, the "diverter" I am thinking of is the moveable baffle plate inside the fire that determines how much air flow from the fire goes up through the back boiler, rather than through the "main" fire, I am NOT, repeat NOT talking about a diverter valve in the pipework part of the plumbing.

Dtp1979's suggestion of a thermostat on the feed pipe is worth investigating, depending on the layout of the pipes close to the fire.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

just to second dtp1979

the pump on the back boiler should be wired through a pipe stat NOT a switch.
    You may find that when you get it wired through a pipe stat that the water in the boiler boils before the pump cuts in, if this happens and the pipe stat is correctly located and set you have problems with the pipework that urgently need to be checked out

Advertisement