Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new appliances

• 20-02-2014 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi all
    we hope to buy new appliances soon fir our new home.was looking at indesit and hot point. any reccomendations?were not looking for fancy just reliable.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

when buying new appliances it depends a lot on how much you intend to spend on appliances as you cant compare say an Indesit/Hotpoint to a Miele even though they both are washers. Most of the brands today with familiar names of yesteryear will have zilch durability compared to the same brand of 10/20 years ago when most of these appliances were made in the UK or Italy. If you can afford it buy an appliance with 5 years parts and labour warranty and enquire where the service agent is located in relation to where you live, not much good waiting weeks for someone to come from the other side of the country.The Bosch/Siemens range of appliances are pretty good Bosch carry 2 years warranty whereas Sms. carry 5 years on free standing appliances though not on integrated. Washers and Dishwashers are the most likely to wear out , if you have 5/6 in family go with a 5 year warranty on the w/m but I would say stay clear of their 8kg range

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Diego Murphy

Stick to the likes of Siemens and Bosch. From personal experience, I would put more of a question mark over the reliability of Hotpoint. I'd avoid the likes of Beko if you're looking for reliability. Grand for rental properties and the like, but not very reliable.

If you're buying a reliable brand in the first place, I'd caution against paying for extended warranties. 4 year warranty on Siemens dishwasher in Harvey Norman is €139. If you're disciplined enough, throw that money into a savings account and throw 20 quid in with it every now and again. By the time it breaks down, it would probably pay for any repairs or most of a replacement. Problem with going down the extended warranty route, is that you end up having to buy warranties for dishwasher, washing machine etc. Savings account trick works better, if you're disciplined enough.

I'm in my own house since last september, so feel free to ask any qs as I've only recently been down the whole appliance purchasing route!

Advertisement