Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working outdoors in the cold

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

pillphil wrote: »
    Is there any regulations about working outdoors when it's cold? All I can find is this one for the UK.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/temperature/outdoor.htm

Either wear a good jacket or only work outdoors during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭pillphil

*sarcastic applause*

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

*sarcastic applause*

this has been discussed on here before and iirc there are no regulations. What type of work and how long?

Standing in a car park all day

*sarcastic applause*

If your job is outdoors then if you have a problem working when whether is cold, what do you expect, to sit inside until temperature rise above 10 degrees?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Get thermals.

Did you think they were going to supply you with a patio heater when you applied for the job?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Standing in a car park all day

that's not very helpful, are you not moving around at all? Have you asked to be provided with a coat/jacket?

I have thermals

I have thermals

It's 6 degrees, hardly minus 20.

davo10 wrote: »
    It's 6 degrees, hardly minus 20.

id tend to agree with this tbh

perhaps add more layers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭dobman88

You say you have thermals. Wear them. Get a good jacket and a drop of man the fcuk up and stop being so soft.

If your job is outdoors then if you have a problem working when whether is cold, what do you expect, to sit inside until temperature rise above 10 degrees?

No, I'd expect to be able to take a few minutes every so often to warm up again. 3 degrees isn't particularly bad to stand around in, but after 8 hours, it's pretty ****ing cold.

dobman88 wrote: »
    You say you have thermals. Wear them. Get a good jacket and a drop of man the fcuk up and stop being so soft.

Do you think I leave them at home?

Did I accidentally wander into AH or something?

No, I'd expect to be able to take a few minutes every so often to warm up again. 3 degrees isn't particularly bad to stand around in, but after 8 hours, it's pretty ****ing cold.

do you not get a lunch break?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭dobman88

Do you think I leave them at home?

If your wearing them, whats the problem. Its hardly Arctic old out there. I dont see how its a work problem, more a personal issue tbh. Grow up and deal with it or find another job. Simple

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

What where you expecting? You work outdoors in Ireland its cold and wet get over it or change professions.Surely when you took the job you knew it was an outdoor job? Have your company issued you with cold and wet weather gear?

I think you should have posted this thread in AH, it's not sunbathing weather but for this time of year it's not unusually cold either. It is an outdoor job you are doing, I'm amazed you would think there are regulations about this, if there were, builders, gardai, traffic wardens, sales people etc would not be working.

Man up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

Seriously? You're working in a car park - not out on sea on a trawler in a gale. You won't get much sympathy. You might just walk around a bit...

I've never actually been cold when working outdoors because.... I've been working!

micosoft wrote: »
    Seriously? You're working in a car park - not out on sea on a trawler in a gale. You won't get much sympathy. You might just walk around a bit...

I've never actually been cold when working outdoors because.... I've been working!

Where did I look for sympathy?

• Advertisement

Where did I look for sympathy?

In your opening post when you looked for regs but came up empty handed

And that's looking for sympathy, is it?

I'm just curious, what exactly is it ye think I'm trying to do?

And that's looking for sympathy, is it?

Yip, your OP reads like " my tossies are cold, is my boss breaking the law?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

I'd recommend layers, OP. Then you can take some layer(s) off when it isn't as cold, or add more layer(s) if it gets colder.

Yip, your OP reads like " my tossies are cold, is my boss breaking the law?"

Well you'd be wrong then

Yup when you go looking for regs about working conditions that is usually a '' woe is me'' and ''look how im suffering'' type of enquiry

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Can people stop being dicks please

Well you'd be wrong then

do you get supplied with outdoor clothes by your employer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭Markcheese

If there are no regs then that's that...
    But do wear double thermal socks ,
    Do get proper winter weight polypropylene thermals,full set ,(mountaineering type gear)
    If you can get some marino wool long sleeve t shirts,
    A couple of thin layers of fleece (better than one thick one)
    And something wind proof /waterproof to go over the top ,
    A decent hat and a thermal tube/scarf thingy...
    You will look like Michelin man , you will cook if you go into a hot room for more than 10 mins but you will be warm outdoors no matter what ...
    I work outdoors all day and was grand even during the freeze 3/4 years ago

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement