Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working outdoors in the cold

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

There are no regulations unfortunately. You are required to have access to toilet / drinking water and food heating facilities though, and they do not necessarily have to be on site. So long as they are available within a reasonable distance.

Weirdly if you worked in an office there are minimum temperatures that it must be.

Employer is hopefully providing you with a good warm high vis coat. Invest in a good pair of boots and thermal socks and it will help too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Good baselayers under your thermals will keep you toasty.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Markcheese wrote: »
    If there are no regs then that's that...
    But do wear double thermal socks ,
    Do get proper winter weight polypropylene thermals,full set ,(mountaineering type gear)
    If you can get some marino wool long sleeve t shirts,
    A couple of thin layers of fleece (better than one thick one)
    And something wind proof /waterproof to go over the top ,
    A decent hat and a thermal tube/scarf thingy...
    You will look like Michelin man , you will cook if you go into a hot room for more than 10 mins but you will be warm outdoors no matter what ...
    I work outdoors all day and was grand even during the freeze 3/4 years ago

agree with this layers wool if possible then fleece then windproof. Where are you based?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

This thread reminds me of that TV ad for Dublin Bus (I think that's the ad) with the bouncer who is rubbing his hands because he wore fingerless gloves. Definitely for AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

davo10 wrote: »
    This thread reminds me of that TV ad for Dublin Bus (I think that's the ad) with the bouncer who is rubbing his hands because he wore fingerless gloves. Definitely for AH.

Dont get me started on Network Noel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

I think your wondering if there are extra breaks your entitled to if you wgorking outdoors.
    I don't think so, but SIPTU would be able to tell you if there are special directives for your industry. Give them a ring.
    Your entitled to 15 minute break after 4 hours. You could ask your employer if you could split this break up over the 4 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I know of one freezer warehouse which operates at -25 degrees and the employees get 10 mins every hour out of the freezer , not sure if that is practise or regulations.

Advertisement