Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help With Essay

• 20-02-2014 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Im in first year and I've a 2000 word essay due in week 7 (eager to do it this week due to Rag week) In in marketing evaluating the influence of any of a few individuals and im just wondering does anyone have any tips on how to approach it ie. What to talk about? How to maximise points that are made? How to put my own twist on it to obtain a good mark?
    Help really appreciated thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Sit down with a sheet of paper and write out the title of the project, every thing out write out on that sheet you should be able to tie it back to the title. If you have subheading do the same

Hit Google and search your subject matter, and note any report that you think involve you subject matter.

Read the abstract of the report and at the end ask yourself can you link this report to your title. You need strong instant links, so don't try to force it.

Take quotes from the article that support you in answering the title don't just copy and paste it.

Reference any outside material in the correct format. The library has resources that help you get your head around referencing, make sure your references are done it the correct style.

Take a break often, keeps you relaxed, but don't take a brake every two minutes.

Re-Read and have someone else proof read it.

Formate the paper correctly, and make a pdf, I personally had issues with a word doc that would change the format when I tried to print it.

Get it done before week 6, houesmates and friend will more than likely be going out next week, only go out if honestly feel you done enough work on the project that day.

Don't skip classes to do the project, but don't let it rule your free time.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ZomB13 F1Sh

I always found the more external reading and references you have in the essay the better your mark will be (obviously only if they fit the essay don't throw them in for the sake of it) I presume your in the KBS so make sure you Harvard reference everything correctly just put the work in over the next two weeks and you'll be fine, there will be plenty of time to go out during rag week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

For referencing, it's worth investing some time in learning how to use reference management software. Endnote and Mendeley are popular choices and both integrate with MS Word. I've used Mendeley a lot and find it extremely useful, especially for being able to export a bibtex listing for my references to use in LaTeX.

It also allows creating collections of references for specific projects - I've collected a lot papers along the way but I don't use all of them in everything I write, so being able to categorise them in folders is useful, and for big reports I'll create a folder specific to that project so I can export the reference list at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Back up your report. Also published reports and books are better sources than a article or lecture notes

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Another UL Wolf

THanks for all the help guys. How much time does one reckon it requires? Found out today its not due till end of week 7 (assuming that means the friday) so gonna try get the bulk of it( 1500 words hopefully) done before rag week so I can enjoy myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 DegenerateNo1

Booking a session in the writing centre may help you also. You can talk to tutor's there about any aspect of writing just bring along a piece you have already written or are working on. It's helpful as alot of the tutors have done the modules previously.
    http://www.ul.ie/rwc/
    Just register with the centre and book an appointment. Best of luck with it.

Advertisement