Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I despair....

• 20-02-2014 9:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

Was out walking with the younger dog, went a route we haven't been on for ages, not very many houses down there, a small jrt came running out of a house, through the gap in the closed gate and straight at us, I thought 'oh crap' cos our Lil hates other dogs especially smallies (needless to say no one around at this house), straight up to us but was actually really friendly and sweet and jumped all over Lil licking her, she wasn't very comfy with this tho although she didn't react so I shouted 'can you come and get your dog please' a few times, then just went on our way, dog followed us, Lil had relaxed at this stage (she was leashed at all times), turned back to the car, dog followed us, got to the dogs house and tried to put him/her in, dog wouldn't go in, so I walked up the long driveway and knocked on the door (I will admit I wasn't best pleased at this stage), long story short, no one home, dog followed us back to the car (which was parked on the main road), I managed to get dog into the car, drove back to its house and dropped it off and left a note through the letterbox telling them to please keep their dog in etc etc.

Phoned my husband to find out if he knew who lived there and did he have a number, he said he'd look in his phone and ring the fella if he had a number (didn't want me to phone as I was a little bit cross at this stage), anyways, this evening when he got home he said he'd rang the fella who lives there (it's a family home) and his phone was ringing as if he was in another country, so we think they're on holidays! Husband thinks the old couple further up the lane are probably 'checking in' on the dog if this is the case.

Who does this? Who goes on holiday and leaves their dog to be checked by the neighbours? This is the second family round here that has done this (and don't even start me on the first ones), I don't know what to do now, I was going to take the dog home earlier anyways he/she was a little sweetie and once Lil relaxed they got on fine and I think he/she would get on fine with my older lad, I just can't bear the thought of he/she being out alone, when I was looking round the outside of the house earlier there was no bed or shelter for the dog, unless the neighbour puts it in at night. Any thoughts as to what I should do? I know myself tho I won't be able to keep my nose out and I'll be over there again tomorrow to see if there's any sign of life. I just can't stop thinking about that sweet little dog on its own.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

as you say, there is no understanding people like this. Why the heck do they bother having a dog?!?!? god!

anyway, I know how you feel worrying and thinking about the poor little thing - if your husband thinks that someone up the way is taking care (hah!) of the poor dog, could you drop by them and find out what they are doing with it - if anything? Then if they arent doing anything, you can proceed from there...

I swear, if I ruled the world there would be a law that said unless you were a decent human being who would have responsibility for and love your pet, you could NOT own one!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Sadly there are people that think this is ok.
    I won't say any more, I'll just get mad again. (Took me 10 mins to come back and post)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

And if it happens to be the case that the dog is being fed and watered by a neighbour then what is the big deal here ? When we're away the collie and the terrier are being checked on and fed by a neighbour twice a day and get their run around as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

The big deal might be the dog getting hit by a car, attacked by another dog or being a nuisance e.g. the op wanted to walk her dog in peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I don't understand this at all - leaving the dog for the day and having someone call over, feed and walk it - maybe but leaving a dog, with open access to the road whilst you take a holiday is quite a different thing. Maybe the person who.was supposed to be looking after left the gate open...but if I thought mine were out running the road, well the thought fills me with dread - I recently kennelled our pup for his first time away from us - eventhough I knew he was safe and in good hands I still worried!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

And if it happens to be the case that the dog is being fed and watered by a neighbour then what is the big deal here ? When we're away the collie and the terrier are being checked on and fed by a neighbour twice a day and get their run around as well.

I cant believe someone would think its ok to go away on holidays and leave a small dog out in the garden - with no shelter - with access to a road - on its own for the duration. What if it strays? What if someone decides to steal it? What if it gets hurt - by another dog/car?

Meathstevie, If you leave your dogs to be checked/fed twice a day by a neighbour, are they in a secure garden? do they have access to shelter? Those are the issues I believe the OP had a problem with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

If you seriously think this is acceptable then there's no point engaging with you to be honest. There are a lot of people like that around here, none of them deserve to have a dog quite frankly.

Pretzill wrote: »
    I don't understand this at all - leaving the dog for the day and having someone call over, feed and walk it - maybe but leaving a dog, with open access to the road whilst you take a holiday is quite a different thing. Maybe the person who.was supposed to be looking after left the gate open...but if I thought mine were out running the road, well the thought fills me with dread - I recently kennelled our pup for his first time away from us - eventhough I knew he was safe and in good hands I still worried!
    #

The gate was closed but it's one of those wooden gates with big gaps in between and the dog is very small (the gaps are so big actually my own dog could get through them. If they'd just put some green netting or fencing in the gaps even!

well i think that you may be just coming to conclusions here.

for all you know there IS someone in the house if the man of the house is away, unless you know the occupiers personally then i submit that you dont know what arrangements they have made for the dog while they are away.

also, you seem to be of the opinion that they have just 'left the dog outside'
    maybe the dog IS an outside dog.
    unless you nosied all around their property then you dont know what arrangements are there for the dog.

while i appreciated that most people on this thread are serious animal lovers, i think just because other people look after their animals differently, it doesnt mean that they dont give a crap!!

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

bubblypop wrote: »

unless you nosied all around their property then you dont know what arrangements are there for the dog.

while i appreciated that most people on this thread are serious animal lovers, i think just because other people look after their animals differently, it doesnt mean that they dont give a crap!!

There's nothing wrong with a dog being outside (as long as it wants to be outside and has proper shelter) but the problem here is that the dog is not contained on the property and is running around loose. This is dangerous for the dog for the reasons stated already - risk of getting hit by a car, theft, injury from approaching another dog that may be dog-reactive etc. the list goes on, never mind the person who may hit it or get injured swerving, someone else's dog being attacked and so on.

This is not "looking after" a dog.

• Advertisement

but i dont believe we can automatically blame the owners and describe them as bad owners!

for all we know, or the OP knows, they may have thought that their dog was left with someone very responsible.

all im saying is people are very quick to give out about people when it comes to animal welfare without perhaps waiting to see what the full story is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

It's hardly like they left the child at home, get over it, talk about making a mountain out of a molehill

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

all im saying is people are very quick to give out about people when it comes to animal welfare without perhaps waiting to see what the full story is.

I think that's not a bad thing though, animals are vulnerable and have no voice of their own and I reckon it's better to be presumptively suspicious (for a lack of a better word, brain not working right now!) rather than ignoring it and assuming all is well, as is the Irish thing to do, and there being a possibility of harm coming to the animal.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

whupdedo wrote: »
    It's hardly like they left the child at home, get over it, talk about making a mountain out of a molehill

whupdedo, this is the Animals and Pets Issues forum, where issues relating to animal welfare are very much up for discussion. Efforts to belittle concern for animal welfare by bringing children into the equation, and addressing other users in such a belittling fashion are not on.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

well i think that you may be just coming to conclusions here.

for all you know there IS someone in the house if the man of the house is away, unless you know the occupiers personally then i submit that you dont know what arrangements they have made for the dog while they are away.

Actually I did nosey round the house, I peered in nearly every window, rang the doorbell a few times, knocked on the back door, tried the door to the garage (locked), deffo no one home, I drove past today and still no sign of life, I didn't see the dog but I didn't get out of the car, to be honest I thought about it and realised that there wasn't anything I could actually do, I can't take the dog home and mind him till they reappear, not with my two at home plus the inlaws dog to mind, all I could do is go see the nearest neighbours who are 2 retired people who, from past experience, have a similar attitude to animals, the only one who is going to get upset or angry in this situation is me. I feel bad for the dog though so I will go back at the weekend and see if they're back and (try to) talk to them.

Maybe I sound like a nosey interfering person but I don't really give a stuff what anyone round here thinks of me at this stage, I've reported a few people over the last 3 or 4 years for not feeding horses, once for a dog being chained up in a shed on a chain so short he couldn't lie down, it's endless and I'm sick of it, I've never lived anywhere with so many dogs left outside to amuse themselves, some with electric collars on, people going on holidays and leaving their dogs for a neighbour to feed, if my husband wasn't from round here I would be on the first stage coach out quite frankly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Dublin_Mom

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Actually I did nosey round the house, I peered in nearly every window, rang the doorbell a few times, knocked on the back door, tried the door to the garage (locked), deffo no one home, I drove past today and still no sign of life, I didn't see the dog but I didn't get out of the car, to be honest I thought about it and realised that there wasn't anything I could actually do, I can't take the dog home and mind him till they reappear, not with my two at home plus the inlaws dog to mind, all I could do is go see the nearest neighbours who are 2 retired people who, from past experience, have a similar attitude to animals, the only one who is going to get upset or angry in this situation is me. I feel bad for the dog though so I will go back at the weekend and see if they're back and (try to) talk to them.

Maybe I sound like a nosey interfering person but I don't really give a stuff what anyone round here thinks of me at this stage, I've reported a few people over the last 3 or 4 years for not feeding horses, once for a dog being chained up in a shed on a chain so short he couldn't lie down, it's endless and I'm sick of it, I've never lived anywhere with so many dogs left outside to amuse themselves, some with electric collars on, people going on holidays and leaving their dogs for a neighbour to feed, if my husband wasn't from round here I would be on the first stage coach out quite frankly.

Good for you. I think there are not enough people who will stick up for animals. As I always say 'animals have no voice' they are terribly vulnerable and I really really applaud you for caring enough to try to check up on this little animal. Good luck, I hope you have some success convincing these people that they need to take better care of their pet.

well, its very bad form to be nosying around someone elses house like that, and if i were you id consider myself lucky that no-one reported me.

well, its very bad form to be nosying around someone elses house like that, and if i were you id consider myself lucky that no-one reported me.

It's also very bad form to have your dog running loose on a busy road don't you think? I would have been very happy if someone reported me and the guards turned up, what would they have arrested me for, giving a sh!t?!

It's also very bad form to have your dog running loose on a busy road don't you think? I would have been very happy if someone reported me and the guards turned up, what would they have arrested me for, giving a sh!t?!

Trespass I believe would be the offence you committed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Trespass I believe would be the offence you committed.

So everyone that calls to your door is trespassing?
    Seriously, you obv don't care about the welfare of animals which is what the op was trying to do.
    It's a pity there aren't more like them around.

• Advertisement

andreac wrote: »
    So everyone that calls to your door is trespassing?
    Seriously, you obv don't care about the welfare of animals which is what the op was trying to do.
    It's a pity there aren't more like them around.

Absolutely I care about animals. 100%. But if someone is nosying around my property, like the OP admitted she was, then yes, that's trespassing.

I'm all for animal welfare, but I do believe in giving people the benefit of the doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

And what if the OP, looking through a window, had spotted the owner lying unconscious, and that was why the dog was left outside? Would you still be of the opinion that something unusual shouldn't make neighbours check to see if there's a reason why? My nearest neighbour collapsed whilst on his own in his house last week, the Gardai had to break in and he is still in hospital, thankfully his nephew checked on him that day, he was lucky to survive.

Very sad that people can't show concern for their neighbours, both human and animals without someone seeing it as a bad thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Absolutely I care about animals. 100%. But if someone is nosying around my property, like the OP admitted she was, then yes, that's trespassing.

I'm all for animal welfare, but I do believe in giving people the benefit of the doubt.

Perhaps if the property was secure enough that the dog was safely contained then the owner wouldn't be breaking the law. It's an offence to let your dog roam you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I'll take a wild guess that the people who think the OP was in the wrong are the very sort who think it's ok to let a dog roam and who would happily leave a dog loose while they went on holiday. In other words, irresponsible owners. No shortage of those in Ireland, they're even worse than the ones who let their dogs off lead in a residential area.

The thing is, that if I or my pets was injured by a roaming or off lead dog, you can bet your ass that I will sue the pants off the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

I get that you are very concerned for the dog and the dog shouldn't be able to get out and roam and I do wonder if you intend to live in this area for a long period of time, as this is not a way to endear yourself to your neighbours. This is not a critism but simply if you plan on living here for an extended period of time you could effect more change by being a little less of the "this is the only way to have a dog". I'm thinking of the catching more flies with honey scenario. It shouldn't fall to you but I think maybe you should consider how you deal with these kinds of incidences.

I'll take a wild guess that the people who think the OP was in the wrong are the very sort who think it's ok to let a dog roam and who would happily leave a dog loose while they went on holiday. In other words, irresponsible owners. No shortage of those in Ireland, they're even worse than the ones who let their dogs off lead in a residential area.

The thing is, that if I or my pets was injured by a roaming or off lead dog, you can bet your ass that I will sue the pants off the owner.

Well I hope you don't play poker because you wild guess is way off.
    I do not think its ok to let dogs roam.
    My dog is treated like a prince.

I did not say that the op was wrong, I merely said that she maybe jumped to conclusions, that there could be an explanation why the dog was out.

Bit like yourself there jumping to conclusions about me.

I merely believe in giving people the benefit of the doubt until I know the full story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Well I hope you don't play poker because you wild guess is way off.
    I do not think its ok to let dogs roam.
    My dog is treated like a prince.

I did not say that the op was wrong, I merely said that she maybe jumped to conclusions, that there could be an explanation why the dog was out.

Bit like yourself there jumping to conclusions about me.

I merely believe in giving people the benefit of the doubt until I know the full story.
    Perhaps it's the tone of aggressive condescension in your posts that's the problem.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

This thread is going to be locked at the next disrespectful comment from anyone. We don't have to agree with each other, but we do have to try to disagree nicely.
    Do not reply to this post on-thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

I get that you are very concerned for the dog and the dog shouldn't be able to get out and roam and I do wonder if you intend to live in this area for a long period of time, as this is not a way to endear yourself to your neighbours. This is not a critism but simply if you plan on living here for an extended period of time you could effect more change by being a little less of the "this is the only way to have a dog". I'm thinking of the catching more flies with honey scenario. It shouldn't fall to you but I think maybe you should consider how you deal with these kinds of incidences.

I do see your point, but to be honest I don't know what else I could have done, except leave the dog on the main road and I just couldn't do that.

The lady of the house just called round here, not to apologise and thank me for picking up her dog, no, she said she was very surprised because they were on holidays and the dog was tied up (no, nothing wrong there at all...) and didn't really appreciate my note and why didn't I just call to her mothers house further down the lane.....I told her I didn't know her (I've never seen her before until just now) and I didn't know Mrs xx up the lane (who I do know, just in a 'that's mrs xx who works at xx) was her mother and I didn't really appreciate her dog following me round the rounds and having to put him in my car and bring him back to her house, honestly she kind of implied that she didn't really believe me, yes I was just making that up so I could peer in your windows. Anyways, she stomped back to her car sort of muttering to herself whilst I stood there slightly bemused and a little bit (ok quite a bit) pee'ed off.

Honestly, the day/week/month/year I'm having, I really didn't need this, I just won't b!oody walk near their house again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

I do see your point, but to be honest I don't know what else I could have done, except leave the dog on the main road and I just couldn't do that.

The lady of the house just called round here, not to apologise and thank me for picking up her dog, no, she said she was very surprised because they were on holidays and the dog was tied up (no, nothing wrong there at all...) and didn't really appreciate my note and why didn't I just call to her mothers house further down the lane.....I told her I didn't know her (I've never seen her before until just now) and I didn't know Mrs xx up the lane (who I do know, just in a 'that's mrs xx who works at xx) was her mother and I didn't really appreciate her dog following me round the rounds and having to put him in my car and bring him back to her house, honestly she kind of implied that she didn't really believe me, yes I was just making that up so I could peer in your windows. Anyways, she stomped back to her car sort of muttering to herself whilst I stood there slightly bemused and a little bit (ok quite a bit) pee'ed off.

Honestly, the day/week/month/year I'm having, I really didn't need this, I just won't b!oody walk near their house again.

It's awful how prevalent attitudes like that still are. I've had a few myself where I have returned a dog to a house and they've looked at me as if I've had two heads. I remember one time when I was bringing a dog I found around the locality to see if anyone knew him and one guy started giving out about the fact I had picked him up (off the road). He told a story of how his own dog was out once and some kids picked it up and handed it into a vet, and how people should mind their own business. He didn't for a second think that he was lucky that it was decent kids who picked up his dog and not scumbags looking to steal or abuse it. I saw something similar on FB, where someone found a dog and brought it to the pound. The owners were traced as someone on FB recognised the dog as one they had found before. The owners had all sorts of excuses and lies about the dog being out before blaming the finders for the fact that they now had to pay pound fines.
    It's unreal. Notwithstanding the ethical disaster that people like this create, it seems that many neither know nor care about the legal obligations that go with dog ownership.

Advertisement