Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A few questions

• 20-02-2014 9:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭

1. I'm currently taking Kre-Alkalyn. Is it a con and should I switch to another product? I can't take whey, so that is not an option.
    2. Fat Gripz - any good for grip strength or a pure PR success story?
    3. I'm doing farmers walks to increase grip strength. Was looking to add variety - was going to add finger-tip push ups and bar hangs. Good or are there anything better out there?
    4. Is there anything I can take to increase my alertness at the gym? I go after work and sometimes I can flag a bit due to tiredness of the days work.

Thanks inadvance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

1. I'm currently taking Kre-Alkalyn. Is it a con and should I switch to another product? I can't take whey, so that is not an option.
    2. Fat Gripz - any good for grip strength or a pure PR success story?
    3. I'm doing farmers walks to increase grip strength. Was looking to add variety - was going to add finger-tip push ups and bar hangs. Good or are there anything better out there?
    4. Is there anything I can take to increase my alertness at the gym? I go after work and sometimes I can flag a bit due to tiredness of the days work.

Thanks inadvance.

1. Kre Alkalyn is a bit expensive. Creatine mono hydrate is cheap & cheerful, use it instead.

2. Fat Gripz are good for chin ups, DB pressing & general grip work.

3. Farmers walks are awesome. Try other versions of loaded carries like suitcase carries, waiter carries, racked carries etc.
    Plain old holds for time are good for grip too.

4. Have a coffee/espresso before the gym.
    You could also try beta alanine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

1. Fat Gripz - any good for grip strength or a pure PR success story?
    2. I'm doing farmers walks to increase grip strength. Was looking to add variety - was going to add finger-tip push ups and bar hangs. Good or are there anything better out there?

Thanks inadvance.

Also you can add bar bell wrist curls and reverse wrist curls. Plate holds for pinch grip https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=BUwHU_P-C8uShQeUroHABQ&url=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DNk8fFHyHkSY&cd=3&ved=0CDkQtwIwAg&usg=AFQjCNHHy2rwOH07hJwDhwgCoxUSqbALmA&sig2=qZFM51KBoqgJ3VHUQ7v8oA

Farmers walks and dead hangs are good tho, the above would be in addition to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Where's the cheapest place selling fat gripz? Any Irish suppliers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

Creatine monohydrate the cheapest and most effect form of creatine, overhand deadlifts with a long pause at the top I find very effective for grip strength, I usually hold the last rep of my last set of deadlifts untill my grip fails (although I use a mixed grip, but I want to increase my grip strength specifically for my deadlift, so it's best for me), if your main aim is to improve grip strength there's no reason you shouldn't hold each rep for 2 seconds or whatever. Caffeine powder, cheap and effective - the base of nearly all preworkout formulas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Where's the cheapest place selling fat gripz? Any Irish suppliers?

D8 fitness have copies of the fat gripz, dunno what they are like, there is not much to the concept, for all I know they could be better.

http://www.d8fitness.com/product/manus-grips-3/

They are not a gimmick, I really like mine, I even got the larger ones. I can do more dummbell presses with the fat gripz than without, its really the likes of chinups that get harder, when pushing a bar up grip is not really an issue for me, and the large soft grip disperses the load on a larger area of my hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I usually hold the last rep of my last set of deadlifts untill my grip fails (although I use a mixed grip, but I want to increase my grip strength specifically for my deadlift, so it's best for me), if your main aim is to improve grip strength there's no reason you shouldn't hold each rep for 2 seconds or whatever.

I tried that but found that when the grip failed the sudden unloading of 120kg created strain/stress in my back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

I tried that but found that when the grip failed the sudden unloading of 120kg created strain/stress in my back.

Just like any exercise, total failure should very rarely be implemented. Chase performance not fatigue as they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

With correct technique how could this be? :confused:
    Would it not just be akin to dropping the bar at the top?

papu wrote: »
    With correct technique how could this be? :confused:

Losing grip. My grip is weaker than my ability to DL, so grip gives way first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,658 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Losing grip. My grip is weaker than my ability to DL, so grip gives way first.

I think he got that part, but he is saying that suddenly letting go of the bar is akin to dropping at the top. If your form is good, you should be able to release the load without straining yourself

• Advertisement

From speaking to a PT I think I'm not maintaining muscle contraction when I fail. I think if I feel failure coming one I need to maintain contraction of the muscles and only let go then. That should then protect the back.

In realtion to the tiredness issue:
    Caffeine powder, cheap and effective - the base of nearly all preworkout formulas.

Are there any recommended sources of caffine powder - i.e. which company produces reputable caffine capsules?
    Also, will taking 1 or 2 of these capsules at around 5pm - 7pm have a negative effect on sleep thus perpetuating the cycle of tiredness.

Advertisement