If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a New AV Receiver

Options
  • 20-02-2014 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

Hi,

I want to upgrade my home entertainment setup with a modern AV receiver.  My budget is around the €400 mark.  I am only upgrading the receiver for now and will use my existing speakers.  My current out dated receiver has the old spring clip connectors and not the new type - can I just add plugs to my existing cables to fit the new plug in connectors?

I have been looking at two receivers:

1.  Sony STR DN 1040
    2.  Yamaha RX-V675

The Sony has 8 HDMI inputs and 2 outputs and received a slightly better review on what hifi.  The Yamaha is a better looking unit in my opinion and having used yamaha before I trust the brand.

I would be interested in hearing your recommendations and getting a prices on the above (plus cable plugs) and any other suggested receivers.  I am based in Cork.

Look forward to your reply.

Tonio.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Tonio wrote: »
    Hi,

I want to upgrade my home entertainment setup with a modern AV receiver.  My budget is around the €400 mark.  I am only upgrading the receiver for now and will use my existing speakers.  My current out dated receiver has the old spring clip connectors and not the new type - can I just add plugs to my existing cables to fit the new plug in connectors?

1.  Sony STR DN 1040
    2.  Yamaha RX-V675

The Sony has 8 HDMI inputs and 2 outputs and received a slightly better review on what hifi.  The Yamaha is a better looking unit in my opinion and having used yamaha before I trust the brand.

I would be interested in hearing your recommendations and getting a prices on the above (plus cable plugs) and any other suggested receivers.  I am based in Cork.

Tonio.
    Hi Tonio.

Thanks for getting on touch.

First of all here goes with pricing:

Sony STRDN1040 priced at £399.95 / 499.99 Euro (A little over budget)
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/sony/strdn1040/sony-strdn1040

Yamaha RXV675 priced at £345.00 / 432.00 Euro
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/yamaha/rxv675/yama-rxv675-blk

Both unit has received a 5 star review in What HiFi.
    I purchased myself the RXV673 just over a year ago and I have to say it sounds fantastic and made my setup sound like a new system. I upgraded from an Onkyo 605.

Delivery would come in at £12.99 / 16.00 Euro

Both amps are in stock and ready to ship.

There is no right or wrong with these two amps as they are both excellent . The Yamaha does sound better for music over the Sony.

Hope this helps.

Any further questions please 

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi,

1.  Sony STR DN 1040
    2.  Yamaha RX-V675

Tonio.
    Tonio,

just to add to Kennys earlier comments - both the Sony and the Yam are really outstanding receivers - they both use decent speaker terminals, not spring clips but you can of course plug bare wire into them and you will still get a really good connection - 4MM plugs aren't really necessary, but you can purchase them separately if required.

Thanks again and keep us posted if we can help,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Tonio

Thanks. Ordered on your site earlier. Went for the Yamaha. 

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Thanks. Ordered on your site earlier. Went for the Yamaha. 
    Hi Tonio,

Order has been processed and is all good to go.

Chris

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.