Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Socket position regs

Options
  • 20-02-2014 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭

Can someone with RECI knowledge tell me what is the minimum distance a switched plug socket should be from a cooker hob?
    Also - I know of an uninsulated wall in a kitchen, that condensation forms on when cooking is happening. The condensation is running down the tiled surface of the wall to the sockets?
    The wall cannot be insulated....What should I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

I don't know of any specific regulation on that

maybe there is one

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

The only suggestion I can make from a practical aspect, and they may not fit even then, is to get some of the plastic gaskets that are used between a plaster wall and a brass socket, they are used with them to prevent water from discolouring the brass due to the salts in the wall materials.

To be sure that water is not getting past that, you might need to silcone it on to the wall and then put a thin bead of silicone on the gasket before putting the socket back on again.

Not ideal, but it might make sure that water is not getting behind the socket.

As to the regs, can't help on that one, sorry

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

there's general rules to cover most situations

for instance..

socket outlets shall not be installed where they may be subject to damage in normal use(to paraphrase roughly)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

gman2k wrote: »
    Can someone with RECI knowledge tell me what is the minimum distance a switched plug socket should be from a cooker hob?

I don't know of any regulation that specifically deals with this, but the regulations cannot possibly deal with every possible scenario.
    An electrician installing this socket assumes the responsibility of the electrical design (which would include the location of all sockets).
    Obviously due consideration must be given when selecting the location of any socket outlet.
    It must be ensured that the position of any socket does not mean that it is likely that a lead would trail across a hot surface or that steam would enter the socket outlet.
    Good work practice is what it is all about.

I know of an uninsulated wall in a kitchen, that condensation forms on when cooking is happening. The condensation is running down the tiled surface of the wall to the sockets?
    The wall cannot be insulated....What should I do?

Clearly this location is not suitable for a standard socket outlet due to ambient conditions. So either install a socket type that is suitable or solve the condensation issue or don't install a socket there.
    It is unlikely to be dangerous to install a socket on a wall that suffers badly from condensation, but would be considered to be very bad practice and may result in nuisance tripping (RCD).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

There is no direct etci regulation, in the building regs it says minimum 300mm from the edge of hob to outlet, i personally stick with a minimum of 400mm.
    The condensation issue is that due to having no extractor or filters blocked in extractors maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

gman2k wrote: »
    Can someone with RECI knowledge

I don't mean to be pedantic, but the regulations are witeen by the ETCI (Electro-Technical Council of Ireland) not RECI (Registered Electrical Contractors of Ireland) :)

WikiHow wrote: »
    in the building regs it says minimum 300mm from the edge of hob to outlet, i personally stick with a minimum of 400mm.

i haven't heard this before...that's a building reg?

mind you i only get to know about building regs when i have to change something

Advertisement