Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is 2 feeds daily ok for 4 month old pup

• 20-02-2014 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

I was feeding my pup at 8 am 4pm and before bedtime but he didn't seem too hungry at any feed. I switched to feeding him at 8am and 8pm. He eats whatever I give him now. He is very playful and seems to be doing ok. He is a toy breed.

However, anywhere I read about puppy care it says that he should be getting 3 meals a day. Is it ok just giving him two feeds?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Your pup should be on at least 3 meals a day at this age. My 6 month old Rottie is still on 3 feeds.
    Little and often is better for growing pups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

If hes a toy, his tummy is tiny. He wont eat much at any given meal. It is better to feed a puppy a small amount often, rather than two bigger meals so far apart as 8am to 8pm. Thats 12 hours between each meal.

What are you feeding him? Better to get him to eat a GOOD QUALITY food from day 1. I would check the AMOUNT you are giving him, read the feeding instructions and divide the daily amount by 3. For a small breed, I would be getting him to eat 3 small portions spread over the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭hollytrees

Thanks for replies. I'll switch him back to three so.

Advertisement