Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to buy Genuine Luxury watches second hand

Options
  • 20-02-2014 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭

hi guys i know this has possibly come up in the past but could you recommend where is the best place to buy second hand luxury watches in ireland or online . there are so many fakes going around it hard to know where to go aside from a jewelers but the dont do second hand .

thanks for any advice :)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

This crowd http://www.chrono24.com/ are a pretty good bet IMHO. Mostly dealers, but some private sellers too. Pretty well moderated, but prices can be a tad high, especially from dealers, though you can compare prices so that's a bonus. Even so the prices are usually nowhere near as high as local Irish dealers as a general rule. Pick EU dealers to avoid being raped by postage and import duty/VAT.

There's always ebay too, but you would want to know exactly what you want and have some decent knowledge on the subject to spot the BS and pick sellers with high numbers and 100% feedback, so not for the casual buyers or the newbies.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Wibbs wrote: »
    This crowd http://www.chrono24.com/ are a pretty good bet IMHO. Mostly dealers, but some private sellers too. Pretty well moderated, but prices can be a tad high, especially from dealers, though you can compare prices so that's a bonus. Even so the prices are usually nowhere near as high as local Irish dealers as a general rule. Pick EU dealers to avoid being raped by postage and import duty/VAT.

I think I read that it's not very hard to become a "trusted seller" on that site, and the operators don't take much action in the event of disputes. Which is fair enough, if it's just a marketplace - but I suspect you have less protection than you would have on eBay. Especially if you pay by BT rather than Paypal.

It is on the more expensive side for sure; but given eBay's huge commission, it's still cheaper for sellers to list there. If you're buying from there, make sure you agree a courier; some countries' postal services have a habit of "losing" expensive items.

My best experiences have all been on tz-uk.com. At the time I thought it was a drag that you had to wait a while and have 50 posts before you can even see the sales forum, but I can definitely see the benefit now.

And of course, closer to home, it's always worth keeping an eye on the for sale thread here - I've bought and sold to a few members here, and it's great putting names to faces etc.

Edit: Now I think about it - a couple of well known second hand sellers in the UK are:
    http://www.chronomaster.co.uk
    http://www.blowers-jewellers.co.uk

I'm not sure if they're priced particularly well in general, but they do have a good reputation from what I've heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

the guys over at WatchUseek have been pretty good too

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭paddyh117

Dawson Jewelers in Dublin have quite a large selection of second hand watches

for online, http://watchfinder.co.uk/ have a good reputation, insofar as they're genuine - prices aren't particularly low

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Like many on here, I have bought loads of second hand watches online. The best marketplace by far is tz-uk.com. However, you need to be a member for six weeks (I think) before you can view the Sales Corner.
    Watchuseek is excellent also. Just be careful about buying from outside the EU as you can get hit for VAT which often cancels out the saving. Of the last 5 watches I got from the US, 2 of them were stopped by customs and I had to pay the fees.
    Both of these sites allow private sellers to list their items, and you are dealing directly with the individual, not the site. Be careful and do your homework on the seller. Check their references (both sites have sections where buyers and sellers can leave feedback for each other) before committing to anything.

And don't rule out adverts.ie - plenty of nice watches listed there, and the benefit of a face-to-face deal if the seller is near to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Homer

Are you looking for anything in particular? No harm in mentioning it here as a lot of us have watches that aren't necessarily advertised for sale but we are perennial flippers so you never know :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Price range would be handy aswell

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

Just saw this being linked from a post today. For thread completeness I'm going to recommend Iconic Watches. IconicWatches.co.uk bought my Speedy Pro at discount from them before Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Landoflemon

Any idea how to get registered on TZ-UK? When I try I get this message:

Capture_zpsd46142be.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The owner said that there's been hundreds of spam sign-ups over the last few days, so is waiting for it to die down before opening it up again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭flutered

you may have to attempt to sign up possibly 20 times before you hit the jackpot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Oliver Wilson

I got my Calatrava from these guys. If you don't mind minor flaws but you want a guarantee of authenticity, then you might get lucky for something under $20K. Just look for Carlos AT Diamond Source NYC.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭893bet

Thanks Carlos, I mean Ollie.

In Ireland I always prefer to buy my watches in New York.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Oliver Wilson

I got my Calatrava from these guys. If you don't mind minor flaws but you want a guarantee of authenticity, then you might get lucky for something under $20K. Just look for Carlos.

I mean New York is like home🍀 anyway😀! BTW just check their site and call (888) 342-9949 if you are in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭893bet

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Advertisement