Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SU Elections Thread

• 20-02-2014 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭

Nominations open. Post your hack gossip here.

Any rumours going around? I've heard Mal Callan for president but nothing else.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Seren_ wrote: »
    Nominations open. Post your hack gossip here.

Any rumours going around? I've heard Mal Callan for president but nothing else.

I presume that is joke about Mal as President.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    I presume that is joke about Mal as President.

I don't know if its a joke, but I've heard it. Mail reads/posts here so im sure he'll confirm or deny if he's planning on running.

Speaking of joke campaigns, I'm assuming that Steve Fleming for USI president is one? He couldn't seriously believe he'd get elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 MalCallan

Don't know where ya mustered that from Seren! El Presidenté is not for me! This year I get to sit back and witness the Debauchery as Frank Underwood would say.

Also Kiwi, I feel I've done incredibly well this year, and would have a strong standing as a candidate. The rumour probably generated from how active I was during the Referendum ect.

I know of alot of candidates running, but I'm not sure if it would be a bit bold for me to disclose, I'll ask Benny.

Ara sure you can PM the names to me Mal and I'll post them ;) su
    elections are nowhere near as fun since the Observer finished up ;_; 2010-2012 were 3 good years for us politicos.

This year I provably won't recognize a single name on the ballot.

Oh You'll recognise a decent few! Ill mail some on later! With my withdrawal I may be able to provide coverage, but that depends on whether I step down to support a candidate ect. Either way it'll be fun from the sidelines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Do what Broni and I did a few years ago as everyone else was running. Grab some chairs, a few bottles of wine, and hit the exclusion zone outside JH where candidates aren't allowed to canvas you, but you can sit there, half-cut at 1pm, and hurl absolute abuse at them.

In good spirit, of course.

MalCallan wrote: »
    Don't know where ya mustered that from Seren! El Presidenté is not for me! This year I get to sit back and witness the Debauchery as Frank Underwood would say.

Also Kiwi, I feel I've done incredibly well this year, and would have a strong standing as a candidate. The rumour probably generated from how active I was during the Referendum ect.

I know of alot of candidates running, but I'm not sure if it would be a bit bold for me to disclose, I'll ask Benny.

Apologies Mal, no offence meant. I meant more than people were joking that you were running, rather than a joke that you were running. I thought you might have recognised who I was by my username but obviously not.

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Apologies Mal, no offence meant. I meant more than people were joking that you were running, rather than a joke that you were running. I thought you might have recognised who I was by my username but obviously not.

Hah! ****e, I researched ya! Kieran ye bollocks! Sorry boss, ye can be tetchy when ya don't know who it is speaking bout ya on this! Curse of the veil of anonymity that is the username!

All the boardies seem to know eachother pretty well. All I see is random assortments of words and numbers, I might make my name slightly more elusive.

Nominations closed today. 2 current SU sabbats are rerunning, and none of the part-time officers are running for any position. As far as I am aware there are 3 candidates for President, 2 for Welfare, 3 for Education, and 2 for Clubs and Socs. For the part-time officers there are 2 for Science, 1 for Irish Officer, 3 for Froebel, 1 for Editor and unsure of the rest.

Would be great if you posted the names kiwi_knock. Which sabbats are re-running? I'm thinking welfare and clubs/socs? Anyone interesting going for president?

Surprisingly noms aren't posted on the SU facebook page as they have been in other years. Lots of self-congratulatory posts though (which I'm sure are warranted). The hot water and microwaves are a really good improvement. The absolute lack of engagement with postgrads, not so much.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I've been looking for names myself. I'll post them up if I find them. I only know of one person myself so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,989 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I'm surprised no-one tried to nominated Our Great Lord Helix for Theology Rep. :pac:

Campaigning can not start till 9am on Monday so names will not be officially released till then. I will be kind and post them here.

President: Romina Afrasani, Ben Finnegan, and Sean Woods

Welfare: Siona Cahill and Chris Hannan

Education: Andy Garrad, Sean Smith and Kieran Timmons

Clubs, Societies and Union Development: Eric Lawless and Louise Morris

First president to re-run in a while! I remember a previous president (who may or may not be banquo) telling me that no one is ever stupid enough to do that...

I'll show my loyalties now and say that i do plan to help Síona with her campaign so do expect some bias from me on that point.

A good list of candidates there. Hopefully we'll have some good campaigns! Good luck in your campaign kiwi!

Right, I'm officially anti-backing Chris Hannan. His treatment of FemSoc members leads me to the conclusion that he is the last possible person who should have anything to do with the equality brief. Know he has done lots of work with SVP, so good on him for that. But I still will be fcuking disgusted if he gets welfare/equality. If him/his friends are reading, feel free to contact me and I'll say this to his face. I'm a lot of things, but a keyboard warrior is not one of them.

Best of luck with the campaign kiwi_knock.

Right, I'm officially anti-backing Chris Hannan. His treatment of FemSoc members leads me to the conclusion that he is the last possible person who should have anything to do with the equality brief.

From what I've seen online, it was mostly calling out particular Femsoc members on bullying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

I'm surprised no-one tried to nominated Our Great Lord Helix for Theology Rep. :pac:
    No nomination needed, automatic win

banquo wrote: »
    From what I've seen online, it was mostly calling out particular Femsoc members on bullying.

Haha, yeah. That's exactly what happened. Not like you'd have an ulterior motive when it comes to giving out about FemSoc and it's members or anything, eh banquo?

Also, what you see online =! what actually happens in real life.

Lets keep it about the elections doods.
    Im gonna have to step down on Monday to get behind some of them! Thank god its a week shorter for everyones sake!

When's the voting happening? Is it the same story as the referendum with voting booths all around campus? Think that was a good idea.

Ah Mal, it's not election season if there's not a bit of drama but ;)

• Advertisement

Voting on 12th, only in 3 places (Arts Block, JH and the Library). There was barely any votes in the other polling stations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I know I won't be voting for anyone that's re running. Is it just be or are the SU reps never as good as they were in your first year? I miss Lorna, she was so friendly and helpful, I won't even say how I feel about her successor for fear of being banned. Fiach was great too, who replaced him? I don't even know and you can't forget possibly the biggest legend ever to be in the SU, I'll be wearing my vote Mal t-shirts to reminiscence about the good days.

GarIT wrote: »
    I know I won't be voting for anyone that's re running. Is it just be or are the SU reps never as good as they were in your first year? I miss Lorna, she was so friendly and helpful, I won't even say how I feel about her successor for fear of being banned. Fiach was great too, who replaced him? I don't even know and you can't forget possibly the biggest legend ever to be in the SU, I'll be wearing my vote Mal t-shirts to reminiscence about the good days.

I don't know. I have to say that I hadn't been expecting much of these guys but they have surprised me. They have been pretty successful in my opinion. They even manged to get some of the infamous impossible campaign promises actually implemented. Although I am still waiting on that north campus swimming pool...

I don't know. I have to say that I hadn't been expecting much of these guys but they have surprised me. They have been pretty successful in my opinion. They even manged to get some of the infamous impossible campaign promises actually implemented. Although I am still waiting on that north campus swimming pool...

I haven't heard of them doing much at all, all I've heard about them doing is a microwave. They have been much less than helpful when you contact them with any issues where last years group couldn't do enough for you. There are some serious data protection laws been broken by the SU and most clubs/socs and the SU is refusing to take it seriously. IMO if a club or soc breaks the law once they should be shut down or at a minimum the person responsible for the issue should be removed from their position, never mind second chances, but there are clubs and socs on their 10th+ warning with no sign of things changing.

I have had issues with plenty of clubs/socs before and data protection, seeing as the SU won't help at all, next time I'm gonna be asking the Data Protection commissioner of Ireland to deal with the club/soc.

That over clubs/socs not putting contacts in BCC field GarIT? Know that when I was on soc committees the importance of keeping data secure was bet into us -maybe that's not done any more.

Any word on who's running for the Print Editor position?

That over clubs/socs not putting contacts in BCC field GarIT? Know that when I was on soc committees the importance of keeping data secure was bet into us -maybe that's not done any more.

Exactly, the SU seems to think it doesn't matter, once were not caught its not harm and if we are we will just stop then. From what I've been reading it's up to 50k per offence, seems serious enough to me. There's a particular soc that I personally mentioned it to, and have sent three complaints in since and each time the soc is warned, says they wont do it again etc, IMO there should have been no third warning, the soc in question should just be outright banned, at least until they can prove they will comply with data protection law, or even stop trying to communicate with students directly.

Who's going to be in charge of the SU website now that comms is gone? There hasn't been a working website since I started college seven years ago like. Maybe it's a good idea to outsource :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭BuroniKiisu

Who's going to be in charge of the SU website now that comms is gone? There hasn't been a working website since I started college seven years ago like. Maybe it's a good idea to outsource :P

Mine worked! Ish. The layout was all there - it just lacked pretty much ALL content. :pac:

• Advertisement

Website is completely new, beta will be released on Tuesday, its been completely professionally done and its very close to what we want but were gonna do a few surveys before the beta become the finished product, I'll post the beta up here on Tuesday!

Also, Gareth, my heart is warmed, thanks for that!!! (I dont even have a vote mal tshirt myself) But I have to disagree with ye on both Ben, Louise and the SU in general. Things are monumentally better. The work done is incomparable. I was there last year and it wasn't the rose-tinted SU you might think. It was a bit of a mess. This year I don't think more could have been done.

I cant even begin to explain the powerhouse that is Benny. I have never met someone more persuasive in negotiations. Every single thing he lobbied for we got! Ridiculous. The university do anything he says and that is indispensable considering the red tape normally faced by presidents. I'd be gutted to see him lose and I genuinely think the SU would be missing out on a fantastic manager. He drove me to do a lot of the things I'm most proud of. I now believe the SU should not be a place that should be led by someone in politics, rather someone who understands how to manage, motivate and lead.

And Louise has rejuvenated Clubs & Socs IMO, they died a death last year in some ways, and the league table barely functioned. This year theres a genuine all out brawl (in a good way) for points and campus life has benefitted as a result. She has basically co-managed alot of events with me too, since I wanted to focus more on the creative side of the job this year and In my mind, she's been indispensable. I think the ultimate testament to her worth was when Clubs and Socs council unanimously agreed her job needed to exist, simply because she made something of it.

I'm not being paid to say any of this, in fact, when i step down to support them, I wont be paid at all. I've always been cognisant of the SU and its different execs over my 6 years here. Ive also been involved for 2 of them. They smashed it. This was a good year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Sparrow93

I'm mostly looking forward to the free lolly-pops

• Registered Users Posts: 5 skidmarks95

Right, I'm officially anti-backing Chris Hannan. His treatment of FemSoc members leads me to the conclusion that he is the last possible person who should have anything to do with the equality brief. Know he has done lots of work with SVP, so good on him for that. But I still will be fcuking disgusted if he gets welfare/equality. If him/his friends are reading, feel free to contact me and I'll say this to his face. I'm a lot of things, but a keyboard warrior is not one of them.

Best of luck with the campaign kiwi_knock.

well this is ironic, I doubt you'll see how though.
    in fairness no one takes femsoc seriously

Dis_gon_be_good.gif

well this is ironic, I doubt you'll see how though.
    in fairness no one takes femsoc seriously

Might as well explain to me how it's ironic seeing as I couldn't possibly see how? And seeing as the vast majority of Maynooth students are annoying idiots, it's easy to understand how some of them don't think feminism is relevant or important.

bear-on-chair.gif?w=474

• Advertisement

Might as well explain to me how it's ironic seeing as I couldn't possibly see how? And seeing as the vast majority of Maynooth students are annoying idiots, it's easy to understand how some of them don't think feminism is relevant or important.

Oh god a feminst just called the rest of Maynooth student annoying idiots, I'm very sorry Seren the irony here is killing me I cannot reply to this seriously

Oh god a feminst just called the rest of Maynooth student annoying idiots, I'm very sorry Seren the irony here is killing me I cannot reply to this seriously

omg calling feminists annoying idiots, you're so witty! Did you think that one all up by yourself? Cause I sure never heard it before.

DA6

1382478115175.gif

omg calling feminists annoying idiots, you're so witty! Did you think that one all up by yourself? Cause I sure never heard it before.

Thanks. No actually, it was you who thought it up, referring to "the vast majority of Maynooth students". Again, the irony here is excellent.

This really isn't doing you any favours, I'd stop while you're behind but that's just me, I know you won't be able to stop digging haha

• Advertisement

Thanks. No actually, it was you who thought it up, referring to "the vast majority of Maynooth students". Again, the irony here is excellent.

This really isn't doing you any favours, I'd while while you're behind but that's just me, I know you won't be able to stop digging haha

If I cared about looking like an idiot on the internet, the most of my posts on this website wouldn't exist. So yeah.

By saying the vast majority of Maynooth students are annoying idiots, am I saying that I'm one too? Oh no :( Is that the irony? Or am I just too much of an idiot to spot it?

Banquo, you are truly the King of Gifs.

This is great craic altogether :D

tumblr_m3y1xc0zx51qa8mee.gif

must...resist...posting....sexist...jokes

Guys, can we please bring this back to being about the elections. This is not a thread about FemSoc and even if it was I'd be ending this conversation.

skidmarks95, welcome to boards.ie, please don't start your time here by trolling.

(Banquo, while I love the gifs, don't encourage them!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

must...resist...posting....sexist...jokes

must... resist... banhammer...

tumblr_m3wc3dQfi41qdnmgfo1_500.gif

I think Siomha will be distributing her first ban soon judging how this forum is getting lately (I'll be such a proud Thwip!). It always gets hectic around elections on here. Keep in mind you are on a site governed by a third party and are expected to act accordingly.

Y'ALL HEAR?

Thwip! wrote: »
    must... resist... banhammer...

tumblr_m3wc3dQfi41qdnmgfo1_500.gif

I think Siomha will be distributing her first ban soon judging how this forum is getting lately (I'll be such a proud Thwip!). It always gets hectic around elections on here. Keep in mind you are on a site governed by a third party and are expected to act accordingly.

Y'ALL HEAR?

Yea guys. You heard my daddy!
    Don't make me be mean. I don't like being mean! :(

Found an official list today for those interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Found an official list today for those interested.
    I'm afraid I can't consider that official until I see it in chalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,989 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I'm really tempted to nominate Bird Jesus as a write-in candidate for Theology Rep.

• Advertisement
Advertisement