Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SU Elections Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Sparrow93

I'm really tempted to nominate Bird Jesus as a write-in candidate for Theology Rep.

Imagine how awesome the posters would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

Lord Helix for Theology, you blasphemers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Paczini

Okay Im gonna be the first one to say it...
    Vote SEAN for VP of Education!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Remember the good old days when this forum used to be mental around election season?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Sparrow93

Seren_ wrote: »
    Remember the good old days when this forum used to be mental around election season?

Tbh, this years election season feels a lot more tame then previous years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Have yous seen the seen the leaflets saying that someone running for prez wants a Netflix account for the SU. Have they never heard of copyright law or public broadcasting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

On the surface the election is fairly tame but underneath the surface there is a lot of things bubbling away. It will all be revealed next week, but by then it might be too late to influence the vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

I'm totally puzzled with one candidates manifesto. This person claims that they will push back the bus schedules in the evenings so "commuters wont miss out on the fun". Number 1 the bus schedules are dictated by the bus companies and not the SU or university and number 2, if you're a daily bus commuter why would you want to be home at 10 or 11pm only to be up for 7am the next morning? I think the idea is just plucked from thin air without any thought whatsoever.

What's up with the academic advisor for every department thing? We have an academic advisor whom serves all departments and is not overworked. Why is it we need to split a job that one person is doing fine into 30 people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Boeing777 wrote: »
    Number 1 the bus schedules are dictated by the bus companies and not the SU or university and number 2, if you're a daily bus commuter why would you want to be home at 10 or 11pm only to be up for 7am the next morning? I think the idea is just plucked from thin air without any thought whatsoever.
    Just to add... I'm already incredibly grateful to my bus driver, the fact that he's probably up and driving at 6.30 to get to his first stop for 7... doesn't get home till he drops people late in the evening at 7.30. The guy drives about 350-400k a day.

I'd sooner be home early. I think he would too. Commuting wrecks you. Staying a minute longer than you have to sucks.

If anything I'd rather classes stopped at 4 or 5 in the evening.

Reading over the manifestos if you can call them that, it seems to me that SU elections are generally a bunch of idiots that don't have a clue about their remit. There are some good candidates though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,989 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I'm totally puzzled with one candidates manifesto. This person claims that they will push back the bus schedules in the evenings so "commuters wont miss out on the fun". Number 1 the bus schedules are dictated by the bus companies and not the SU or university and number 2, if you're a daily bus commuter why would you want to be home at 10 or 11pm only to be up for 7am the next morning? I think the idea is just plucked from thin air without any thought whatsoever.

Don't forget that commuters might want to go home to have dinner. :o

mickstupp wrote: »
    Just to add... I'm already incredibly grateful to my bus driver, the fact that he's probably up and driving at 6.30 to get to his first stop for 7... doesn't get home till he drops people late in the evening at 7.30. The guy drives about 350-400k a day.

I'd sooner be home early. I think he would too. Commuting wrecks you. Staying a minute longer than you have to sucks.

If anything I'd rather classes stopped at 4 or 5 in the evening.

100% agree. The hours those bus drivers do are incredible. The candidate that's proposing these changes quite clearly isn't a commuter to be considering this nor do they realise that bus drivers might actually have a life outside their job.
    Don't forget that commuters might want to go home to have dinner. :o

Very true. The list is endless of how impractical and silly the suggestion is. I know there's false promises made every year, but this isn't even a promise. It got about 2 seconds thought before being slapped down on the page. I wouldn't mind, but the paragraph about the buses actually got it's own "box" on the page meaning it was obviously something major in their intentions. Madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

[quote="Boeing777;89360573" The candidate that's proposing these changes quite clearly isn't a commuter to be considering this nor do they realise that bus drivers might actually have a life outside their job. [/quote]

This candidate actually is a commuter .. Quite a long commute in fact ! .. I am completely biased tho cause I know the candidate personally but I also commute so I know how difficult it is to get to college if you don't have your own car and at the moment I have to schedular my classes around the fact I can't get home if I'm not on the 5.05 dub bus to town ...
    Anyone who uses th buses set up by th college have a great service and I'm sure there are a good few who would appreciate not having to find a couch to sleep on if they wanna go to some events ,,.
    Commuters miss everything as it's always on during the evening !

This candidate actually is a commuter .. Quite a long commute in fact ! .. I am completely biased tho cause I know the candidate personally but I also commute so I know how difficult it is to get to college if you don't have your own car and at the moment I have to schedular my classes around the fact I can't get home if I'm not on the 5.05 dub bus to town ...
    Anyone who uses th buses set up by th college have a great service and I'm sure there are a good few who would appreciate not having to find a couch to sleep on if they wanna go to some events ,,.

Ok well here's the difference between Dublin Bus and private coaches; with a private coach there's 2 buses up and 2 buses home. You can get a 3pm bus home which will have you home around 4-4:30pm or you can get a 6pm bus which will get you home around 7-7:30pm. With Dublin Bus, however, there are far more services during the day and a lot more flexibility all round. I have been on a private bus for 2 years now and like somebody said already, even a minute late in the evening is annoying. Why should the rest of us wait for some students to watch a film, listen to a talk, play sport etc. By all means the candidate can try and negotiate this, but it won't be entertained. It's just not feasible to delay a private bus for the sake of some students.

• Advertisement

Ok well here's the difference between Dublin Bus and private coaches. With a private coach there's 2 buses up and 2 buses home. You can get a 3pm bus home which will have you home around 4-4:30pm or you can get a 6pm bus which will get you home around 7-7:30pm. With Dublin Bus, however, there are far more services during the day and a lot more flexibility all round. I have been on a private bus for 2 years now and like somebody said already, even a minute late in the evening is annoying. Why should the rest of us wait for some students to watch a film, listen to a talk, play sport etc. By all means the candidate can try and negotiate this, but it won't be entertained. It's just not feasible to delay a private bus for the sake of some students.

Maybe it was a late bus suggestion rathe than one which had any effect on the buses already going ? :s .. a one minute delay? that sounds delightful to me as I commute for seven hours a day :-)

The SU is all about participation in all aspects on student life not just showing up to class.. I'm a final year and I obviously can't take part in any club/soc/sport this year which is always great to explain when courses/employers are wondering why you're not involved in student activities!

Plus to the comment above about a bus driver not getting to have a life ? Did anyone suggest the same driver starting at six am and being on the late one home ? :s .. I'd have presumed people would understood that companies tend to have more than one driver

Maybe it was a late bus suggestion rathe than one which had any effect on the buses already going ? :s .. a one minute delay? that sounds delightful to me as I commute for seven hours a day :-)

The SU is all about participation in all aspects on student life not just showing up to class.. I'm a final year and I obviously can't take part in any club/soc/sport this year which is always great to explain when courses/employers are wondering why you're not involved in student activities!

Plus to the comment above about a bus driver not getting to have a life ? Did anyone suggest the same driver starting at six am and being on the late one home ? :s .. I'd have presumed people would understood that companies tend to have more than one driver

I'm absolutely no expert on business, economics, finance etc. but in my mind for a bus company to run another service in the evenings for a couple of students is not feasible. A private bus company is a business at the end of the day with profit in mind. Adding more drivers equals more costs. Adding another bus equals more costs with fuel, maintenance, etc. etc. In MY opinion, the idea is void and wasn't very well thought out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,989 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Yes, but it's usually the same guy who drives each route. That was/is the case with both of the bus companies I've used when commuting. When I want to stay an extra few hours in Maynooth, I just get public transport to return home instead of inconveniencing everyone else.

EDIT: @Boeing, I'm referring to roxie's post, not yours.

I'm absolutely no expert on business, economics, finance etc. but in my mind for a bus company to run another service in the evenings for a couple of students is not feasible. A private bus company is a business at the end of the day with profit in mind. Adding more drivers equals more costs. Adding another bus equals more costs with fuel, maintenance, etc. etc. In MY opinion, the idea is void and wasn't very well thought out.

The candidate would sort of be very capable in all those areas with it being her undergrad and professional background and to be honest it wouldn't surprise me if she drove students home personally as the candidate is the kinda person who is totally unselfish ...
    I also wouldn't knock anyone for not fully thinking through an aim, there's been some really questionable ones during the years ..
    It's also been my experience that not much is done so I welcome any new blood .. I had to be told that The current pres was actually looking to be reelected as I'd never heard of Him around campus so I didn't recognise the name which in my opinion is shocking .. People need to remember that the people elected are working for the students and should be approachable for the students if needs be .. Not someone who's aim is to please college administration

The candidate would sort of be very capable in all those areas with it being her undergrad and professional background and to be honest it wouldn't surprise me if she drove students home personally as the candidate is the kinda person who is totally unselfish ...
    I also wouldn't knock anyone for not fully thinking through an aim, there's been some really questionable ones during the years ..
    It's also been my experience that not much is done so I welcome any new blood .. I had to be told that The current pres was actually looking to be reelected as I'd never heard of Him around campus so I didn't recognise the name which in my opinion is shocking .. People need to remember that the people elected are working for the students and should be approachable for the students if needs be .. Not someone who's aim is to please college administration

Before I end this discussion with you I want to say that I'm not for one minute doubting the candidates character nor am I attacking the candidate. I deliberately left the candidates name out of my post because I didn't want to initiate an attack on them. For me to vote for somebody I want them to be able to implement changes, but viable changes. I therefore believe that what your candidate is proposing is not viable and I believe it can't and wont happen. If the candidate is "very capable in all those areas" as you mentioned, I'm even more confused as to how they think delaying bus schedules is economically and logistically possible. It doesn't make sense to me and I won't be voting. But that's just me!

• Advertisement

delaying bus schedules

I've already explained that idea to you but since you insist on only seeing it in your own opinion of how to would be carried out there is no point in continuing ...

Has the candidate talked with the bus companies about later buses? That question will definitely be asked at Hustings.

I've already explained that idea to you but since you insist on only seeing it in your own opinion of how to would be carried out there is no point in continuing ...

Yes and I explained how adding an extra bus route is not economical so therefore delaying the bus schedule would be the only option. Not sure I'm getting anywhere with you. You're affiliated with the candidate so that's probably why.

Maybe your candidate could campaign to get clubs and societies to have more of their events at times when commuters can get to them, i.e. something a lot more realistic, then thinking he/she could possibly have any influence over bus timetables.

Maybe your candidate could campaign to get clubs and societies to have more of their events at times when commuters can get to them, i.e. something a lot more realistic, then thinking he/she could possibly have any influence over bus timetables.

Is there not a clubs and socs rep?

I said straight out I know the candidate so I'm not gonna apologise for my views :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

No more apples in the vending machine please.

Is there not a clubs and socs rep?
    Not sure what relevance that has. My suggestion was that putting more events on at reasonable hours was a far more achievable aim than pushing for different or additional bus timetables. Especially as your candidate acquaintance wouldn't be dealing with external companies. If your objection is that that sort of suggestion should be brought up with a clubs and socs rep and not your candidate, then I'd have to ask why your candidate is bothering to use commuters and events as some sort of platform angle unless they're campaigning for clubs and socs rep? If he/she wants commuters on their side, it makes far more sense to campaign for something realistically achievable.
    I said straight out I know the candidate so I'm not gonna apologise for my views :-)
    Never asked you to apologise. Made a suggestion that might be worth passing along. That's all.

But anyway, besides all that, I'm curious about where you're commuting from, if you don't mind me asking of course. Seven hours a day is a lot more than me at five. Three and a half hours each way... that's incredible. I get up at half five every morning, home at eight each night, if there are no delays of course. An extra hour on each end like you would be torture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Will somebody name the candidate who said that? And post manifestos/links to campaign pages? Not on campus so I haven't seen any.

^Totally off-topic but I really like that quote in your sig. She's a wonderful writer.

Seren_ wrote: »
    Will somebody name the candidate who said that? And post manifestos/links to campaign pages? Not on campus so I haven't seen any.

The girls name is Romina and here is the link to her campaign facebook page that has photos of her manifesto http://www.facebook.com/letsrollwithro

• Advertisement

But anyway, besides all that, I'm curious about where you're commuting from, if you don't mind me asking of course. Seven hours a day is a lot more than me at five. Three and a half hours each way... that's incredible. I get up at half five every morning, home at eight each night, if there are no delays of course. An extra hour on each end like you would be torture.

Oh yeah no worries I didn't mention it cause didn't wanna get side tracked but I come from waterford everyday by train buses etc .. Toture would be too nice a word to explain it :L
    I'd be up before five most mornings .. :-/ .. So it's take 3.5 hours both ways .. Except one morning where Romina (now that someone has mentioned names) actually comes out of her way to bring me up saving me two hours of travel so I would be completely biased as she's such a nice person for doing that and that's why I said it up front..
    But I'm Not trying to push my views on anyone I just saw this heading towards being a bit one sided as she's the only pres candidate mentioned but sure no harm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

It seems to me that there's barely any hype about the actual Presidency job. I've heard a lot about the Welfare position primarily because i'm involved with one of the candidates campaigns.

Does anyone know actually about the salary for the SU positions? I have no clue what it is and was always interested to know

.. Except one morning where Romina (now that someone has mentioned names) actually comes out of her way to bring me up saving me two hours of travel so I would be completely biased as she's such a nice person for doing that and that's why I said it up front..
    But I'm Not trying to push my views on anyone I just saw this heading towards being a bit one sided as she's the only pres candidate mentioned but sure no harm

Firstly, I mentioned the girls name in reply to Seren_. I was reluctant to do so originally as I wasn't sure if it was the right thing to do. Secondly, as this is an elections thread, everybody is going to have their opinions on why each particular candidate should/shouldn't be elected. Your candidate was the subject of today, it'll be someone else tomorrow. The position she's going for is a rather big one so I think her particular campaign (like the other candidates running for the position) is naturally going to be scutisined and poked at.

EDIT: And as a final note on this because I must be grating on everyone at this stage, I'm not doubting that the girl is nice and I appreciate that you know her personally and she has done a lot for you. I simply voiced why one of her action plans in her manifesto is unrealistic, nothing more nothing less.

I believe we are on of the lowest paid SU execs in the country, I think it is around 17-18 grand a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 MalCallan

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    I believe we are on of the lowest paid SU execs in the country, I think it is around 17-18 grand a year.

I can confirm that. All the Uni SU's and the IT SU's like to laugh at that fact at every USI meetup. Dundalk IT get double :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

GarIT wrote: »
    What's up with the academic advisor for every department thing? We have an academic advisor whom serves all departments and is not overworked. Why is it we need to split a job that one person is doing fine into 30 people?

Exactly. Unless of course we can clone Rose. Then I'm good with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

MalCallan wrote: »
    I can confirm that. All the Uni SU's and the IT SU's like to laugh at that fact at every USI meetup. Dundalk IT get double :eek:

Why is NUIM's lower than the rest of the country's I have to ask? Is that taxed Mal? Probably a stupid question but i'm clueless when it comes to general life knowledge :rolleyes:

Heya guys Romina has asked me to post this message on here to answer some of your questions :

Firstly I would like to say that I am not going to delay any of the current buses not even by a minute.
    What I am simply saying is that I want commuters to have the opportunity to attend different events that are on after 6pm. This will be done by having a later bus leave college for the students that wish to stay back and attend events/meetings/talks etc. These buses will run only when they are needed.

As for feasibility, there are many instances when buses have left campus with only a few students on board so that is not an issue.

And lastly I would like to say I know exactly how it feels to commute, I drive for nearly 2 hours everyday just to get to college and then 2 hours home.

I will be addressing this issue in very great detail Tuesday at the hustings so for anyone that is interested please come along and I will be more than happy to answer any more questions you may have.

And as a side note, roxygirl is very right in saying that if a student is ever stuck I will gladly give them a lift home!

I know this whole election seems like we all just want the title and the votes, but to be honest I am going into this as a student and I'm running for president because I actually want to make a difference in the college. Unlike many of the other candidates I have not been involved in the SU until now and I think it would do a lot of good just to simply have a student, with no strings attached, going into such a position.

Any questions or issues you may have please write to me on Facebook or Twitter or even stop me around campus and I will gladly discuss them with you.

Thank you,
    Ro

Heya guys Romina has asked me to post this message on here to answer some of your questions :

So what's the plan to convince the bus companies to run later buses? A bus company isn't going to run a later bus to be nice, it would need to be financially worthwhile. What is the benefit to split your passengers over two trips when you can manage it in one?

• Advertisement

Firstly I would like to say that I am not going to delay any of the current buses not even by a minute.
    What I am simply saying is that I want commuters to have the opportunity to attend different events that are on after 6pm. This will be done by having a later bus leave college for the students that wish to stay back and attend events/meetings/talks etc. These buses will run only when they are needed.

As for feasibility, there are many instances when buses have left campus with only a few students on board so that is not an issue.

I appreciate the reply from Romina on the issue, but I'm still not convinced. To put it to you like this, during exams the bus company which I get only committed to the service fully in Jan 2013. In the run up to first semester exams a survey was passed around the bus to see if the demand was there. The reason for this was they ran a bus for exams beforehand and the demand just wasn't strong enough. If the demand is shaky for exams what would it be like for a late evening bus? So, I wish Romina the very best of luck in her negotiations with the private bus companies if elected.

Here are interviews conducted with the Sabbat candidates. You get a bit of an insight into their policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Personally I don't think the late bus is feasible. What could be feasible is maybe three or four times a year a day (Like Christmas Day) could be chosen for an extra bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Just saying this as an Ex-Maynoothian... the later bus doesn't entirely seem feasible, though I appreciate the gesture. It's an extra expenditure on the bus company for, what could easily be, a small group of students (granted a mini bus could happen). Considering the drive behind it (heh! puns!) is to cater for commuters who want to go to events without couch surfing then surely that increases the risk of a resulting group of drunken students (granted I'm not saying all would be drunk) using the bus facility and causing hassle?

But I digress,

Also, whilst I appreciate Romina answering questions on here through Roxy rather than using her own account, from now on can we keep discussion on the relevant FB pages, Hustings etc as per our charter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Kiwi_knock wrote: »

One lower, Griffith College Dublin is 12 grand a year...least it was when I was SU President. You got a free apartment on campus though which was nice.

That'd almost be better I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 SeanFxx

Anyone hear that it was that SNIP!

SeanFxx wrote: »
    Anyone hear that it was that SNIP!

That post, as edited, is hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

Romina's campaign page is repeating the accusation for her own gain! Strippers, mudslinging, backstabbing, and a story in a national newspaper - best election ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

I cant find her page... Do yous have a link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

Ooh she deleted it (like I thought she would, everyone's afraid of libel nowadays!). Luckily I screencapped it :) .

If Romina has deleted her post then I am deleting it off here too. No more mentions of said accusation please!

• Advertisement
Advertisement