Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to sterilize jars?

Options
  • 20-02-2014 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi everyone!

I got flowers yesterday and as I didn't have any vase for them, I put them in my sprouting jar base (it's a very heavy, glass jar). I also put in the flower food powder into the water for the flowers. :eek:

When I'm done with the flowers, what should I do to sterilize the jar so that it's good to go for food again?

Hoping to hear from ye soon!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭squonk

Pop into the dishwasher and then put into the oven for 30 minutes at 180deg. Ideally you'd sterilize the jar before putting food, like jam, in there. Sterilize jar, take it out and, while still hot, pour in hot jam and cover with wax disc and seal. A neat trick is that if you have the original cap for the jar, you can use that. The process of the food cooling will cause it to shrink and create a partial vacuum, thus ensuring your food is even better protected. Only useful with the screw tops though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

put it into a cold oven and then bring it up to temperature - otherwise you might crack the jar.

Advertisement