Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accessing records from Bessborough House

Options
  • 20-02-2014 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Does anyone know if it is possible to access records from Besborough House in Blackrock, Cork? I was there in 1973 and had a baby girl who I subsequently took home with me, refusing to have her adopted. I want to access my records for this time but am unsure whether it is Besborough House or the HSE that I should contact. Any advice appreciated, Thank You

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Terri Kiernan

Hi
    To my knowledge you have to go through the hse but ring bessboro they should give you the address to write to I was there in 73 too I ran away .but ended up in Patrick's on the navan road I left cork in July delighted for you keeping your baby I lost my battle my son was placed in adoption I never got over the loss good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Under data protection law, you have the right to a copy of any personal data any organisation, public or private, is holding about you.

The organisation concerned is legally obliged to respond with the requested information within a maximum of forty days from receiving your request. It can charge a fee, but this cannot exceed €6.35

Have a look here on the website of the Data Protection Commissioner for more information about how to exercise your right to this information:

http://www.dataprotection.ie/ViewDoc.asp?fn=/documents/rights/2d.htm&CatID=17&m=r

• Registered Users Posts: 45 schoolmouse

Does anyone know if it is possible to access records from Besborough House in Blackrock, Cork? I was there in 1973 and had a baby girl who I subsequently took home with me, refusing to have her adopted. I want to access my records for this time but am unsure whether it is Besborough House or the HSE that I should contact. Any advice appreciated, Thank You

Bessborough no longer hold the records for the people who were resident there,the address you need to write to is as follows

HSE South
    St Stephens Hospital
    Sarsfield Court
    Glanmire
    Co Cork.

I hope this helps you and I wish you the best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 schoolmouse

You need to contact the following address for Bessboro records.

HSE South
    St Stephens Hospital,
    Sarsfield Court,
    Glanmire,
    Co Cork.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

gizmo555 wrote: »
    Under data protection law, you have the right to a copy of any personal data any organisation, public or private, is holding about you.

The organisation concerned is legally obliged to respond with the requested information within a maximum of forty days from receiving your request. It can charge a fee, but this cannot exceed €6.35

Have a look here on the website of the Data Protection Commissioner for more information about how to exercise your right to this information:

http://www.dataprotection.ie/ViewDoc.asp?fn=/documents/rights/2d.htm&CatID=17&m=r

While I know you're trying to be helpful- records relating to adoption- are specifically excluded from the Freedom of Information Act (if you look at the last appendix in the Act- it lists those records and organisations, excluded from the Act).

Regards,

The_Conductor

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

While I know you're trying to be helpful- records relating to adoption- are specifically excluded from the Freedom of Information Act (if you look at the last appendix in the Act- it lists those records and organisations, excluded from the Act).

Regards,

The_Conductor

I mentioned the Data Protection Act, not the Freedom of Information Act. I'm open to correction, but I'm not aware of any general exemption to the right of access provided by the Data Protection Act where adoption records are concerned.

Be that as it may, the OP says she didn't give her child up for adoption, so even if the exclusion you mention exists, it wouldn't seem to apply in her case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 finallyfound

as an adoptee I suggest if you are on facebook you join us on our 'Bessboro Mother & Baby Home' group page. There you will find all relevant information you require to help with your search and you will be connected with the right people within the relevant HSE departments as well. Best wishes from a fellow bessboro babe

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Storeybud?

Hi

I am just wondering if anyone came accross a sister celeste mulvey who i think was in bessboro in the 1980's.

Any information would be appreciated.

Storeybud? wrote: »
    Hi

I am just wondering if anyone came accross a sister celeste mulvey who i think was in bessboro in the 1980's.

Any information would be appreciated.

Sr. Una Brigid Mulvey by any chance?
    She was there at the closing ceremony back in 2009- not sure where she might be now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Storeybud?

Hi tc,
    Many thanks for your qick reply. It was a sister celeste mulvey name that i have been given.
    Do you know if sister una mulvey was a nurse/midwife, was she also known as sister celeste?

Many thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 finallyfound

Would highly recommend you join the fab fb page Bessboro Mother Baby Home group page. Boards will not allow me to enter the URL as I'm only a new member (damn) All your answers will be surely answered on that group page I hope, I unfortunately couldn't tell you who worked there as I was taken from there at 2 days old to be operated on

Best wishes :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 kerrellie

Storeybud? wrote: »
    Hi tc,
    Many thanks for your qick reply. It was a sister celeste mulvey name that i have been given.
    Do you know if sister una mulvey was a nurse/midwife, was she also known as sister celeste?

Many thanks

Did you get an answer to this? Although surname is not familiar, I heard my mother mention a sister celeste a few times,I was born there in 85 and I think she was not there long,probably the celeste you were looking for,as when I heard her name she was a midwife according to my mother

• Registered Users Posts: 8 workinprocess

I was in Bessborough House in 1973, roughly from March to September of that year. I had a baby girl and was able to bring her home. Even though I spent seven months there I only have snatches of memory of the time. I remember arriving to the house, and leaving. I remember going to have my baby in mothers ward. My name in the house was Margaret and I worked in the kitchen. I would say I was one of the youngest girls there at the time as I was only 15. I am trying to resurrect memories of that time, not anything that would put the anonymity of the women who there at the time, but the names of some of the staff. I met some great women there who helped me get through my time. But it is the staff I cannot place. There was a reverend mother, a nun who was a midwife there and a nun who used to take us walking on Sundays. If anyone has information that would help me I would appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kathy finn

Records from sacred heart bessboro are now with HSE.
    write under FOI/DPA to
    Child and family agency, regional adoption services, Pairc na gCrann, st stephens hospital, sarsfield court, glanmire, co cork, phone 021 4858650.

kathy finn wrote: »
    Records from sacred heart bessboro are now with HSE.
    write under FOI/DPA to
    Child and family agency, regional adoption services, Pairc na gCrann, st stephens hospital, sarsfield court, glanmire, co cork, phone 021 4858650.

Let us know how it goes- I'm still swapping correspondence with Sarto's solicitor :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Jim Comic

Advertisement