Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scheme Problems

Options
  • 20-02-2014 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hello,
    Let me know if this should be moved to somewhere else.
    I have 6.5 months left on a scheme, 2 months ago ago I requested a change of position after becoming very stressed with where I was. Lately a new person started in the same position in the afternoon, in the mornings now I'm where I should be less and less, covering time off making lunches (with no hsapp or health and safety training) and cleaning the storage area for example. The other person never had to do these odd tasks I do.
    When I question doing these things I'm told I HAVE to be "flexible" and I don't know how to reply to that.
    My gut feeling is if I complain again I'll be ignored by my scheme supervisor for already changing where I was. I'm really upset and my confidence has also taken a knock, I feel hopeless in this situation.
    Worst case scenario, I quit before my time, what penalties do I get?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

What kind of scheme is it? Flexibility is a pretty important part of any job and if you're hoping for a job at the end of this scheme you'd need to be able to show that you are flexible, just because someone else doesn't have to do these tasks doesn't mean you don't. Rather than going to your supervisor with problems, have you suggested solutions? Or asked for additional training?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

WildRosie wrote: »
    What kind of scheme is it? Flexibility is a pretty important part of any job and if you're hoping for a job at the end of this scheme you'd need to be able to show that you are flexible, just because someone else doesn't have to do these tasks doesn't mean you don't. Rather than going to your supervisor with problems, have you suggested solutions? Or asked for additional training?
    Thanks for the reply WR. Came off a bit wrong, apologies, just so unhappy and stressed it's no excuse, my OP couldn't be edited I think.
    "Flexibility is a pretty important part of any job"... True! My problem is that no one else is being asked to be flexible not that I have to be flexible myself which i give 110% to being. Thought someone having the same position and scheme as mine would mean we would have a similar workload. There's a few persons there on schemes and I'm the only one asked to cover everyone bar the boss and do odd jobs, sometimes so much I don't get my own work done til the next day and it'll be left there for me to do it.

Wouldn't get kitchen training because I only do it sometimes and HSAPP costs money is what I'm told, may get first aid in the future all going well, I will ask what other training could be available, can't remember the other's mentioned. Of course, will be making suggestions too not just complaining.
    I'd like a job but not in that particular place, I want out of there ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Not everybody is created equally and Companies do not have to treat employees equally.
    There are grounds that they are not allowed to discriminate on (age ,sex,religion etc.) but their perception on talent, work ethic etc. they can.
    So if they think they get better value from you making you do odd jobs and better value from new person being dedicated to more interesting work etc. then that is their prerogative.

Advertisement