Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sichuan/szechaun pepper

Options
  • 20-02-2014 11:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭

I'm trying to find this,have tried Tesco M &S etc and the only ethnic food shop locally to no joy.Has anyone bought these online?Have a few recipes that call for them and don't know what else to use in their place,but would rather use them if I could.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭maryfred

maryfred wrote: »
    I'm trying to find this,have tried Tesco M &S etc and the only ethnic food shop locally to no joy.Has anyone bought these online?Have a few recipes that call for them and don't know what else to use in their place,but would rather use them if I could.

Only saw the cooking thread now! Mods,please move if needs be,thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭squonk

Lots of options here OP: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_3?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=szechuan%20peppercorns&sprefix=sze%2Caps%2C140

Next time you're in your nearest big city, do a chekc around some of the ethnic shops. Buy a few bags. The peppercorns last a good while.

It always bugs me that most chinese restaurants serving Szechuan dishes don't actually include the peppercorns in them. It's usually just gloopy chilli sauce. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

You should be able to get them in Asian stores.
    I can't really think of a substitute for them, as they're different from the boldest of the bold black peppercorns. It has a citrusy taste followed by a numbing heat on your tongue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭maryfred

squonk wrote: »

It always bugs me that most chinese restaurants serving Szechuan dishes don't actually include the peppercorns in them. It's usually just gloopy chilli sauce. :(

Had actually thought of asking some local Chinese restaurants if they would sell me some but based on what you say,prob no point.I'll half a look at the web site later.thanks

Advertisement