Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thechipvan.ie

Options
  • 21-02-2014 12:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Hope this is the right forum for this post. Wondering if anyone has used http://www.thechipvan.ie and would have any feedback. They do not have many testimonials on their site.

Feel free to PM me feedback if it's negative!

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

sadie06 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Hope this is the right forum for this post. Wondering if anyone has used http://www.thechipvan.ie and would have any feedback. They do not have many testimonials on their site.

Feel free to PM me feedback if it's negative!

Thank you.

I'd like to know why they have a picture from In-N-Out Burger on their website

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Shudders.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Was at a party last year where the Van turned up. It was ok, not the best chipper food you can get and the fish was not fresh but the burgers etc were fine. They could make a bit more effort and make it special but you got the impression they were in it for the money as opposed to a love of food.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

.... you got the impression they were in it for the money as opposed to a love of food.

It's a chip van. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Slaphead07 wrote: »

Well done chipper food is a thing of beauty and very different to the crap versions.
    Is all wine wine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

My niece had a chip van at her wedding last year (in England). Worked out great, and made a change form the usual rubber chicken or salmon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

I can't see any fixed address or landline phone number on the site. I don't do business with anyone who doesn't provide at least one or the other. Best of luck though.

Well done chipper food is a thing of beauty and very different to the crap versions.
    Is all wine wine?

Well done chipper food is definitely great (I'm something of a shrine to it) but there's nothing here to suggest it is of that quality. My point is, and maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt "food lovers" would be running a chipper van.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Well done chipper food is definitely great (I'm something of a shrine to it) but there's nothing here to suggest it is of that quality. My point is, and maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt "food lovers" would be running a chipper van.

I dont see anything to suggest it is of bad quality either and its a bit unfair to make assumptions on people who are only trying to run a business.

It's a business. If there is a gap in the market for a Chipper van and they can do it well, what does it matter if they are food lovers or not?

Agree about the contact details - no landline or fixed address are not goodl

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

anewme wrote: »
    I dont see anything to suggest it is of bad quality either and its a bit unfair to make assumptions on people who are only trying to run a business.

It's a business. If there is a gap in the market for a Chipper van and they can do it well, what does it matter if they are food lovers or not?

Agree about the contact details - no landline or fixed address are not goodl

But they didn't do it well, they churned out the food but they looked like they'd prefer to be somewhere else.

• Advertisement

But they didn't do it well, they churned out the food but they looked like they'd prefer to be somewhere else.

Sorry, missed your post above that you were at an event where they served.

anewme wrote: »

It's a business. If there is a gap in the market for a Chipper van and they can do it well, what does it matter if they are food lovers or not?l

as was said above...
    It was ok, not the best chipper food you can get and the fish was not fresh but the burgers etc were fine. They could make a bit more effort and make it special but you got the impression they were in it for the money as opposed to a love of food.

as was said above...

Now this is really going strange????? That's what I said in the post directlyabove your one?????? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,404 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

My point is, and maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt "food lovers" would be running a chipper van.
    Some of the best fast food I've had was from food trucks. Some really amazing mexican/asian stuff. There one in particular that has two top chefs behind it. There's no reason the same couldn't be done with gourmet burgers/fish/chips.

Mellor wrote: »
    Some of the best fast food I've had was from food trucks. Some really amazing mexican/asian stuff. There one in particular that has two top chefs behind it. There's no reason the same couldn't be done with gourmet burgers/fish/chips.

given the eye-witness report above, which I'll quote again, it seems this is a long way from gourmet.
    Was at a party last year where the Van turned up. It was ok, not the best chipper food you can get and the fish was not fresh but the burgers etc were fine. They could make a bit more effort and make it special but you got the impression they were in it for the money as opposed to a love of food.

given the eye-witness report above, which I'll quote again, it seems this is a long way from gourmet.
    Nobody said it was gourmet. So not sure why you keep posting that.

I was reply to you post that said
    My point is, and maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt "food lovers" would be running a chipper van.
    I'm saying food lovers can, and do run food trucks/chipper vans, that's all.

Nobody said it was gourmet. So not sure why you keep posting that.

it was in response to your own comment...
    There's no reason the same couldn't be done with gourmet burgers/fish/chips.

lol, you aren't making any sense. I'm saying it could be done. Just because this crowd are just doing basic stuff, that doesn't mean that nobody could do it. How do you not grasp that?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

They could make a bit more effort and make it special but you got the impression they were in it for the money as opposed to a love of food.
    That's a shame. "gourmet buger" places have popped up all over the place in recent years, so it would make sense that someone might have made a mobile one. It takes little extra cost to make a decent burger compared to a bog standard one.

They have a facebook page and there is one photo where it looks like they are just possibly frozen chips

https://www.facebook.com/thechipvan?fref=ts
    Some of the best fast food I've had was from food trucks....
    There's no reason the same couldn't be done with gourmet burgers/fish/chips
    This market with goes around dublin in different locations on various days, they do have gourmet burger places, and decent fish & chips
    http://irishvillagemarkets.ie/

lol, you aren't making any sense. I'm saying it could be done. Just because this crowd are just doing basic stuff, that doesn't mean that nobody could do it. How do you not grasp that?

The thread is about a specific chip van so my comments are about a specific chip van. If you want to start a thread about hypothetical chip vans off you go... I believe the hypothetical ones are capable of ANYTHING!

• Advertisement

The thread is about a specific chip van so my comments are about a specific chip van. If you want to start a thread about hypothetical chip vans off you go... I believe the hypothetical ones are capable of ANYTHING!

Do you argue with yourself?
    Just read the whole thread back.
    It just might, might make sense why people here are arguing with you and why.
    Try it.

So? Doesn't mean a chip van can't be good quality (irrespective of whether this particular one is good or not)

Why?

It was these statements that were questioned by me and others.
    For some reason you think that just because one chip van isn't of great quality, that your argument is proven.

For some reason you think that just because one chip van isn't of great quality, that your argument is proven.

I'm only talking about one chip van. QED.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Let's put the handbags away & get back to helping the OP.

Ta,

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/entertainment/brian-odriscolls-wedding-party-lasts-the-whole-weekend-97847754-237703461.html
    Irish rugby legend, Brian O’Driscoll and his new bride, Amy Huberman, certainly know how to throw a party.....
    As the evening progressed a van from Brian’s favourite burger joint, Gourmet Burger, arrived with supplies for the guests.

http://www.weddingsonline.ie/discussion/gourmet-burger-t347409.html
    Just had a look and GBK have a mobile catering van, maybe they can offer something else for us. There is a kitchen in our preferred venue, but I don't know if they'll allow outside caterers in yet. I'm sure something will work out, how hard can it be to offer people burger and chips!?

I totally agree that there is an opening for Quality "Burger/joint fish and chip Joint" type van thing as a business venture.

Eddie Rockets have a mobile unit as well- was at a Summer Event last year and they did the catering. Think there was a minimum number of 150 ppl required.

They had burgers, hot dogs, taco fries, wings fries....etc.

It was not bad - if I got it at say, the evening of a wedding I would be happy enough.

This is a very strange thread though, initially I thought it was just me :confused: - a lot of chips, and not just those in the van.

Sure you were...
    Really specific comment there. :rolleyes:

At least we can probably agree on the maybe i'm wrong bit.

Anyway, going in circles. Anyone else dying for some chips?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Maybe my earlier comment was not specific enough either...

The next off-topic post or bit of sniping cops a ban.

Help the OP or do not bother posting.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Why is it called thepievan and everyone is on about Burgers and fish and chips?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Hootanany wrote: »
    Why is it called thepievan and everyone is on about Burgers and fish and chips?
    'Coz it's called thechipvan.

Advertisement