Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

PARlance wrote: »
    I'm from Castlebar originally, playing Belmullet underage in GAA was the trip we always dreaded, purely because of the journey.
    It's actually depressing on a wet winters (summers) day. Bog, bog and then more bog as you drive down a pretty poor road. Its so open that you find yourself thinking, will we ever get there.
    Maybe that's a kid in the back of a buses view, I haven't been down there since and I've never driven it on a nice day either :) so that might make a difference.
    Jesus, I'm off to Portugal so :D
    wrote:
    Originally Posted by m r c viewpost.gif
    Obvs it's not one of the ones you mentioned but if I was you and if you haven't played it before I'd play Mulranny.
    It's just totally amazing and quirky, I haven't ever played anywhere comparable.
    Agreed, I'd love to play Mulranny, but I suspect I'll not have enough time.
    ACC is in July, Trapper... but I'd still say Carne is the one to choose. It's such a big experience. That said, both courses make my top five.

Consensus appears to favour Carne, for geographical, if not climatic reasons. Looking at your photos in Flickr, does the club run a helicopter taxi service?

Last night, Portmarnock off the Whites
    Front 9
    Bogey, par, bogey, par, par, bogey, birdie, triple bogey, birdie. Out in 40
    Back 9
    Par, par, double bogey (incl missed 3 ft putt) and then the rails came off.
    Unfortunately not me, but it was my son. He let the missed 3ft putt in nerve him and the final 7 holes were a collection of bogeys, doubles, triples and a birdie on the 16

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭hrigsby2

Last night, Portmarnock off the Whites
    Front 9
    Bogey, par, bogey, par, par, bogey, birdie, triple bogey, birdie. Out in 40
    Back 9
    Par, par, double bogey (incl missed 3 ft putt) and then the rails came off.
    Unfortunately not me, but it was my son. He let the missed 3ft putt in nerve him and the final 7 holes were a collection of bogeys, doubles, triples and a birdie on the 16

That's quite a front 9 over there! Gotta hate those mentality destroying shots though. Happened to me when I reached my lowest under-par number ever. I was playing a middle school match and we were undefeated and playing another undefeated team. I was 3 under after 4 with a 10 foot putt for birdie on 5, lipped it out and was left with about a 4-5 footer. 3 putted for bogey and let it get to me subconsciously. Finished middle of the pack and we lost by a few strokes! I couldn't tell you what I shot...I just remember that 3 putt!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Played corballis this morning. The morning could best be described as "fresh" :pac:.

Its been about 9 years since I played, I forgot how much fun it was. Cost €12 on golfnow.ie. I'm struggling to think of better value anywhere.

hrigsby2 wrote: »
    That's quite a front 9 over there! Gotta hate those mentality destroying shots though. Happened to me when I reached my lowest under-par number ever. I was playing a middle school match and we were undefeated and playing another undefeated team. I was 3 under after 4 with a 10 foot putt for birdie on 5, lipped it out and was left with about a 4-5 footer. 3 putted for bogey and let it get to me subconsciously. Finished middle of the pack and we lost by a few strokes! I couldn't tell you what I shot...I just remember that 3 putt!

What words of wisdom would you pass on to him Hunter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Played Corballis on Saturday there. Was emjoyable. Had changed swing slightly and I had a pretty bad front 9. Recovered well on the back nine to shoot 19pts. Played with a friend who strikes his irons well. On 15 he hit a 6 so I hit a 7 in from about 170 out. Big mistake, straight over the green to the back. Scratched the hole. Would have been first time to ever break 20 points over 9 pts. Enjoyable morning though.

The European this Saturday. Looking forward to that one!

Have played The Island and Portmarnock before also. Must try to get Portmarnock Links and Royal Dublin in this summer too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,180 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

The guide to Corballis written by Fix De Pitchmark tells you to take at least a club less, possibly 2, on your approach to 15 Lightening :)

It's a tricky one to trust but it's definitely the case.

Great back 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

The guide to Corballis written by Fix De Pitchmark tells you to take at least a club less, possibly 2, on your approach to 15 Lightening :)

It's a tricky one to trust but it's definitely the case.

Great back 9.

Very deceptive drop to hole - you gain about a club and a half on drop - then green in hole , so everything kicks off apron. Very hard hole when you have a good card going - green is a disaster too. The wind is typically on your back too.
    I've had a 6 there with a S/W in my hands.

I've had a 6 there with a S/W in my hands.

And a beer in the other hand :)

And a beer in the other hand :)

prove it.

• Advertisement

prove it.

Just after finishing the 15th... Thirsty work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

We have Corballis in the metro cup this Sunday and i will be playing away. Played a few practise matches and still cant seem to get a good score together, played on Fridayand struck the ball very well but only 30 points. Still yet to score on holes 3 and 12, scratch every time.

Playing it tomorrow at 10.30 and again on Friday hopefully i will get to grips with it.

J

We have Corballis in the metro cup this Sunday and i will be playing away. Played a few practise matches and still cant seem to get a good score together, played on Fridayand struck the ball very well but only 30 points. Still yet to score on holes 3 and 12, scratch every time.

Playing it tomorrow at 10.30 and again on Friday hopefully i will get to grips with it.

J

John if you hit your cut at right of 4th green or you should be ok.

Or just play it as a 3 shoot hole from tee. With your short game you should get a 5 maybe a 4.

On 12 - I don't think going for the green in 2 pays off - you just end up ob. hit 7 iron just over footpath

Take your par or putt for birdie.

12 is a mystery - a drive is dangerous there.
    I haven't - but - the safest way would be 6 iron - 6 iron lay up - wedge.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭hrigsby2

What words of wisdom would you pass on to him Hunter?

The fact that I've never been 3-under again might be proof that I'm not the best person for words of wisdom! :P.

Do you mean in terms of golf in general or in bouncing back from a mentally destabilizing shot?

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭Ronney

https://www.facebook.com/AllianzGolf

Apply now for the Allianz Golf Camp 2014 and take your chance to be part of a once in lifetime experience! Just click here to fill out your application: http://bit.do/golfcamp

The lucky winners will be invited to St Andrews Links from 5th ‐ 9th July 2014. They will be part of a unique golf adventure, get training from professionals, meet 2014 European Ryder Cup Captain Paul McGinley and experience the world famous Old Course.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Seapoint, Co Louth. Well worth a visit and the food is great too.

Played Sutton 9 hole for the first time today - would have looked at the place so many times from the Dart - and was always curious as it just seems impossible that they could fit a golf club on the piece of land.
    So it is a sort of mini links and then you have 3 parkland holes on the far side of Dart line.

It is set in a stunning location with views of lambay and Bull Island. Then you can see the peninsula of Portmarnock golf course. Amazing all these flat links along the Dublin coast.

So a mini course - not needing more than a 3 wood or a low iron, and in still dry conditions no real test. But you still have to keep it straight - the greens are excellent and the overall condition - top marks.

I don't think I've seen a better set clubhouse and , you literally feel like you could be on holiday with the beach and views - nice pint there too.

The clubhouse is adorned with portraits and photos of their most famous player - Joe Carr - who was a multiple amateur champion and Walker Cup player.

The club was filled for a charity event - it was great to see a clubhouse full , in a nice location, it sort of gave you a feel for what clubhouses are for and were for.

Would be a nice easy introduction to links , for the unchristened. Would be a nice easy walk and round for the more experienced player. Only a test if a wind was up.

But overall - well worth the 20 quid - and 2 birdies home made it a nice day all round.

[IMG][/img]157bz4p.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

Nice photo- Ireland is beautiful when the sun shines.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

Sutton is a historical course, along with Portmarnock and the island, and Royal Dublin, all within that locality, all linked in a way.

They were never meant for the likes if us though.

Amazing to think the Jameson's had a small course on their land and I think played in Sutton when the toffs moved out of the Phoenix park. Lord Howth owned Sutton.

Who owned the Island, the crowd from Newbridge House?

Yes John -

Just reading it all now. Some history - 1890 - amazing in a way. You can see some of the greens are original - and that solid links greens - roll is great fun. The first green there is something else.

Again - it is not a course I would have imagined I'd like - but there is just something about the place. It is worth just going to have a pint and walk around the clubhouse and look at stuff on walls -

Not to mention there was about 200 odd young women at a charity event - all dressed to the nines - kept me there longer. :)

No your right - these places are just not designed with the new equipment and balls we have - first hole you are on / on edge with a 3 wood.

2nd hole 5 iron - Gap wedge. :)

But - it is still worth going to see them all. Even if - it is only a 9 , I'm glad I put it on my east cost links list again.

http://www.suttongolfclub.org/history/index.html

• Advertisement

June 26 Connemara Championship (Hackett) 18
    June 27 Carne (Hackett) 18
    June 28 Connemara Championship (Hackett) 18
    June 28 Connemara Coast 9 (?)

July 17 Rosapenna Sandy Hills (Ruddy) 18
    July 18 Portsalon (Thompson/ Ruddy / McGinley) 18
    July 19 Rosapenna Old Tom Morris (Morris/ Ruddy) 18

Played Connemara plenty of times and played Portsalon when I was a nipper in the 70's. So looking forward to a Ruddy / Hackett overload

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Chrispb

Played seapoint , co Louth at the weekend . Four times in the last week actually . It really is a fantastic golf course . We'll worth the visit and it magnificent condition. Very stern test from the back sticks but really fair. It probably gets a bit over shadowed by its neighbour and thus doesn't quiet get the recgonisiton that it would if it wasn't located beside baltray.

Only criticism is the greens were slightly on the slow side but given the wind last week and talking to the GUI that was more a tacatle move due to the high winds forecast and received .

Great facilities and even though my golf was poor I really enjoyed the whole experience and was really well looked after by everyone in the club . Really friendly athmosphere . Simple things like a wave from passing green keepers really makes a difference to perception of the place .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 802 ✭✭✭m r c

June 26 Connemara Championship (Hackett) 18
    June 27 Carne (Hackett) 18
    June 28 Connemara Championship (Hackett) 18
    June 28 Connemara Coast 9 (?)

July 17 Rosapenna Sandy Hills (Ruddy) 18
    July 18 Portsalon (Thompson/ Ruddy / McGinley) 18
    July 19 Rosapenna Old Tom Morris (Morris/ Ruddy) 18

Played Connemara plenty of times and played Portsalon when I was a nipper in the 70's. So looking forward to a Ruddy / Hackett overload

You are in for some time mad jealousy here. I've played some of them and the old Tom Morris in rosapenna stands out for me.

m r c wrote: »
    You are in for some time mad jealousy here. I've played some of them and the old Tom Morris in rosapenna stands out for me.

That's interesting, cause I thought the perceived wisdom was that Sandy Hills was the better one. Mind you better does not always equal more enjoyable.
    By the way have you played Portsalon? The reason I ask is that realistically I will struggle to play Rosapenna x 2 plus Portsalon. If I have to leave one out which one should it be?

Playing Carton House Monty today in their semi open and can't wait.

*runs for cover*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 802 ✭✭✭m r c

That's interesting, cause I thought the perceived wisdom was that Sandy Hills was the better one. Mind you better does not always equal more enjoyable.
    By the way have you played Portsalon? The reason I ask is that realistically I will struggle to play Rosapenna x 2 plus Portsalon. If I have to leave one out which one should it be?

100 per cent my experience Sandy hills would be rated higher but given the choice between the two I'd play Old Tom Morris every time. Hard to say why exactly apart from IMHO it flows better and felt less manufactured.

If you can only play two out of the three and presuming you have never played any of them I'd play Old Tom and Portsalon. Because the two in Rosapenna are fantastic but similar/ish Portsalon does offer something a little different.

Understanding that I have a soft spot for Rosapenna in general I'd play the two if I'm going up that far. I only live 2-2.5 hours from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Tommo 76

Can anyone reccommend a reasonably priced links course in the South East? Never ever played one but want to see what "all the fuss is about" lol. I know of Rosslare and Arklow that are links, are there any others in the Waterford / Wexford southeast area? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ib_sanf

Anybody got any tips for Royal Dublin?

Playing there for the first time in the Golf Digest event this Sunday.

[QUOTin =Tommo 76;90792149]Can anyone reccommend a reasonably priced links course in the South East? Never ever played one but want to see what "all the fuss is about" lol. I know of Rosslare and Arklow that are links, are there any others in the Waterford / Wexford southeast area? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Both of them would be great as a start.

None In Waterford I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

Tommo 76 wrote: »
    Can anyone reccommend a reasonably priced links course in the South East? Never ever played one but want to see what "all the fuss is about" lol. I know of Rosslare and Arklow that are links, are there any others in the Waterford / Wexford southeast area? Thanks.

Just Tramore. Play Rosslare it's an old and pure links and very good value.

Advertisement