Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 802 ✭✭✭m r c

Just Tramore. Play Rosslare it's an old and pure links and very good value.

Tramore is an out and out parkland course John, it kinda reads to me like you were saying its a links course. I've probably taken you up wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

m r c wrote: »
    Tramore is an out and out parkland course John, it kinda reads to me like you were saying its a links course. I've probably taken you up wrong.

Yep, my bad, I always assumed it was half links half parkland for some reason. A bit like Seapoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Looks like Royal Portrush will be hosting the Open Championship in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭postitnote

Looks like Royal Portrush will be hosting the Open Championship in 2019.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-27858157

Fantastic news for Portrush.

I believe it will mean a change to the final 2 holes though. Some purists might argue against that change. I would be in favour if it gets the course on the regular Open schedule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 802 ✭✭✭m r c

postitnote wrote: »

I believe it will mean a change to the final 2 holes though. Some purists might argue against that change. I would be in favour if it gets the course on the regular Open schedule.

That's great news for Irish golf. At the end of that article they say its on the list for the open rotation so it won't be a one off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ib_sanf

Played Royal Dublin yesterday in a Golf Digest event yesterday - first time for me to experience both and I would highly recommend both.

Think we got Royal Dublin on the perfect day - it really was very benign. I believe it's a whole different story when the wind picks up.

It would be an expensive course to play at it's full Summer price - but if you're a links fan and particularly if you're living in the greater Dublin area - I recommend experiencing it, especially if you can play it for a reduced rate - I think they have an early bird rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

ib_sanf wrote: »
    Played Royal Dublin yesterday in a Golf Digest event yesterday - first time for me to experience both and I would highly recommend both.

Think we got Royal Dublin on the perfect day - it really was very benign. I believe it's a whole different story when the wind picks up.

It would be an expensive course to play at it's full Summer price - but if you're a links fan and particularly if you're living in the greater Dublin area - I recommend experiencing it, especially if you can play it for a reduced rate - I think they have an early bird rate.

Yes hoping to play it - yesterday didn't suit.

Will look out for a deal.

Only one left to do on east

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Was there not a view when the Irish Open was there that despite being a splendid course, really, it was a bit on the shortside, with little scope to extend it, to be a genuine test in the modern game ?

It's available for as low as 55 Euro on Golfnow - usually before 9am.
    Yes hoping to play it - yesterday didn't suit.

Will look out for a deal.

Only one left to do on east

Was there not a view when the Irish Open was there that despite being a splendid course, really, it was a bit on the shortside, with little scope to extend it, to be a genuine test in the modern game ?

Certainly there was talk that there would have to be changes to the course to make it suitable for the crowds. Making the 17th and 18th into the tented area and I'm assuming incorporating the Valley course into the equation instead.

This then allows 2 holes to be designed that can incorporate grandstands and greater crowds. It seems that getting the members to agree to theses changes will be a formality, but the golfing purist may argue that you're no longer playing the course the way it was intended to be played.

Wentworth is probably a fairly recent example though of dramatically altering the finishing hole, but then look at the finish it gave us this year.

As for length, I guess it depends on how much you can punish people for inaccuracy instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

The finishing 2 holes espically the 18th in portrush are pretty poor and like most links courses the pros can tear them apart if it is calm. Think they are talking of putting 2 new holes in somewhere else on the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Wentworth is probably a fairly recent example though of dramatically altering the finishing hole, but then look at the finish it gave us this year.

The general view is that Els's changes did not improve the course. I played it several times before the changes and loved the place. I haven't played it since, but from what the TV shows, I'm going with the general view.
    mike12 wrote: »
    The finishing 2 holes espically the 18th in portrush are pretty poor and like most links courses the pros can tear them apart if it is calm. Think they are talking of putting 2 new holes in somewhere else on the course.

The talk is that one new hole will be built and one incorporated from the Valley course. If that's the case, the options will be at the end of the Dunluce course, where it meets the start of the Valley course, or, more likely, after the Dunluce 13th. The photo below shows the view from the Dunluce 13th green, down to the Valley 5th green. The dunes to the right offer a fair amount of space.

103vi1j.jpg

I have played neither course and have only been on the Valley course twice and that was over 10 years ago.

It's fortunate they have the space, but I hope they don't ruin the appeal of 2 golf courses in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭The_Architect

I have played neither course and have only been on the Valley course twice and that was over 10 years ago.

It's fortunate they have the space, but I hope they don't ruin the appeal of 2 golf courses in the process.

This would be my concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭onlyfinewine

You've not played in Waterville in the driving rain which I did in August 2012. When you round the corner on the 16th and play the last 3 holes into the rain, man that's tough and definitely can't see the sea!!!! Infact the drive on the coast road from Killorglin to Waterville was scary as hell.

Try driving over the Connor Pass while going to play Ceann Sibeal (Dingle Golf Links, which is well worth the visit) You will be astounded!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Anyone here ever played castlegregory in kerry? Looks impressive in the website, in the area shortly so might give it a go...

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Anyone here ever played castlegregory in kerry? Looks impressive in the website, in the area shortly so might give it a go...
    Yea nice 9 hole course, well worth the visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

June 26 Connemara Championship (Hackett) 18
    June 27 Carne (Hackett) 18
    June 28 Connemara Championship (Hackett) 18
    June 28 Connemara Coast 9 (?)

July 17 Rosapenna Sandy Hills (Ruddy) 18
    July 18 Portsalon (Thompson/ Ruddy / McGinley) 18
    July 19 Rosapenna Old Tom Morris (Morris/ Ruddy) 18

Played Connemara plenty of times and played Portsalon when I was a nipper in the 70's. So looking forward to a Ruddy / Hackett overload

1st set complete.
    I have to say the value given by both Connemara and Carne was really excellent. 18 holes cost €135 & €140 respectively for 4 of us (2 adults, 1 junior and 1 intermediate/student, all GUI members). Rented buggies on the final day in Connemara (€35x2), but they gave us the final 9 for no charge. For those who complain about prices of playing Ballybunion, Lahinch or Kinsale, there are lots of alternatives out there that will test you at a fraction of the price.

Connemara was in very good condition and is a course that I really enjoy. The rough is deep in patches but you really have to be off line to hit it. Fairways in good nick, fairly dry and fast running after the recent weeks. Greens are very true but it has to be said very slow and that was with a Senior Cup being played on Sat. The front 9 has a number of par 4's that are very similar but the back 9 delivers up a series of terrific holes with 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 & 18 standing out

I'd never played Carne before so was a very interesting experience. Its different to most courses and the only similar course I can compare to is the opening stretch of Portstewart. You can see that Hackett left much of the design to mother nature and it therefore throws up a lot of unique and quirky holes. Not sure if this is Kevin's line or not but it is like playing golf on a rollercoaster. The fairways pitch and roll to an extraordinary extend but as long as you stay on the fairway, you get a pretty decent stance to hit your next shot. The greens are also noteworthy in as much as some of them have really significant steps and undulations in them, which present a challenge to your approach shot as well as your putts.

On the debit side, rather too many blind shots for me, especially when the Strokesaver seems to point you in a different direction. A number of Tee boxes not level and the greens were really not in good condition. One in particular (12th I think), I would have been better taking a wedge for a 10ft putt rather than a putter.

1st Impression is a very unusual and quirky layout and if you are looking for something different then Carne is the place to find it. We played it in a very strong wind and all struggled to find form so that always impacts your experience. Its a 5hr round trip from Cliften to Carne and back and a straw poll of our 4 ball is that we'd have been better playing Westport or going to Enniscrone. I'm someone who needs to play a course more than once to form a real opinion but I'd have to say its unlikely I'll make the trip that far west again just to play Carne. But that's just me, lots of people who know lots more about the subject rate it very highly, so add it to your list of "ones to play".

For anyone that's interested Baltray open week is on this week. Heard about it last week and forgot to post.

Trapper, think you are the first person i have heard not really liking Carne, but it is the type of course you need to play a couple of times. Trying to think about the blind shots and can't really think of many really blind shots.
    Playing there next Monday whats the rough like.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ally McIntosh

1st set complete.
    I have to say the value given by both Connemara and Carne was really excellent. 18 holes cost €135 & €140 respectively for 4 of us (2 adults, 1 junior and 1 intermediate/student, all GUI members). Rented buggies on the final day in Connemara (€35x2), but they gave us the final 9 for no charge. For those who complain about prices of playing Ballybunion, Lahinch or Kinsale, there are lots of alternatives out there that will test you at a fraction of the price.

Connemara was in very good condition and is a course that I really enjoy. The rough is deep in patches but you really have to be off line to hit it. Fairways in good nick, fairly dry and fast running after the recent weeks. Greens are very true but it has to be said very slow and that was with a Senior Cup being played on Sat. The front 9 has a number of par 4's that are very similar but the back 9 delivers up a series of terrific holes with 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 & 18 standing out

I'd never played Carne before so was a very interesting experience. Its different to most courses and the only similar course I can compare to is the opening stretch of Portstewart. You can see that Hackett left much of the design to mother nature and it therefore throws up a lot of unique and quirky holes. Not sure if this is Kevin's line or not but it is like playing golf on a rollercoaster. The fairways pitch and roll to an extraordinary extend but as long as you stay on the fairway, you get a pretty decent stance to hit your next shot. The greens are also noteworthy in as much as some of them have really significant steps and undulations in them, which present a challenge to your approach shot as well as your putts.

On the debit side, rather too many blind shots for me, especially when the Strokesaver seems to point you in a different direction. A number of Tee boxes not level and the greens were really not in good condition. One in particular (12th I think), I would have been better taking a wedge for a 10ft putt rather than a putter.

1st Impression is a very unusual and quirky layout and if you are looking for something different then Carne is the place to find it. We played it in a very strong wind and all struggled to find form so that always impacts your experience. Its a 5hr round trip from Cliften to Carne and back and a straw poll of our 4 ball is that we'd have been better playing Westport or going to Enniscrone. I'm someone who needs to play a course more than once to form a real opinion but I'd have to say its unlikely I'll make the trip that far west again just to play Carne. But that's just me, lots of people who know lots more about the subject rate it very highly, so add it to your list of "ones to play".

Hello,

Which course did you play at Carne - The original 18? The reason I ask is that the new nine actually has more significant undulations in many of the greens so maybe you included that nine.

Also, which tee boxes did you find not level? This would be good to know.

Best Regards,
    Ally

• Advertisement

Nice to hear another opinion on Carne .
    Sounds like a course that will take time to play well. Sounds a great trip Trapper.

But to be honest , by description , sounds like a course i will love. Playing next week.

Either way Enniscrone on the way , and that is one of my favourite courses - probably number 1, but havent played them all yet.

Hello,

Which course did you play at Carne - The original 18? The reason I ask is that the new nine actually has more significant undulations in many of the greens so maybe you included that nine.

Also, which tee boxes did you find not level? This would be good to know.

Best Regards,
    Ally
    Mike12 wrote:
    Trapper, think you are the first person i have heard not really liking Carne, but it is the type of course you need to play a couple of times. Trying to think about the blind shots and can't really think of many really blind shots.
    Playing there next Monday whats the rough like.

Mike, Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the golf course (if not my own golf) and if I was staying in the area (ie less than an hour away) I'd happily play again. Agree with you (and originally stated) that I'd need to play again to really understand the course before forming a final opinion. Its not that I "disliked" the course, but just wasn't wowed by it.

Ally, We played the original 18, though the particularly bad green was a compromise hole (ie a par 3 on the new nine that also substituted for a par 4 on the original course ) on the 12th (I think). It looked like some big improvements were taking place on the original hole. It was on the last par 3 (the one with the big drop to the green) that the comment about the tees was made.

I know one of the PGA players in the recent PGA ProAm tournament and he loved it. So I'd recommend anyone to try it and make up your own mind.

Nice to hear another opinion on Carne .
    Sounds like a course that will take time to play well. Sounds a great trip Trapper.

But to be honest , by description , sounds like a course i will love. Playing next week.

Either way Enniscrone on the way , and that is one of my favourite courses - probably number 1, but havent played them all yet.

FdP, I think you will love it. Vive la difference....
    By the way the one thing I didn't mention is that the views are spectacular. When you have a 14yr old and 18yr commenting on the views you know you're looking at something a bit special.

Next year, thinking of taking a trip to include Enniscrone, Strandhill and Murveagh/Donegal. Or possibly Ballyliffen. There's certainly great value and great courses in the West / NorthWest.

FdP, I think you will love it. Vive la difference....
    By the way the one thing I didn't mention is that the views are spectacular. When you have a 14yr old and 18yr commenting on the views you know you're looking at something a bit special.

Next year, thinking of taking a trip to include Enniscrone, Strandhill and Murveagh/Donegal. Or possibly Ballyliffen. There's certainly great value and great courses in the West / NorthWest.
    Played they all and when you are playing Murveagh you might as well make the effort and get to Nairn and portnoo.
    Ballyliffin is to far from Sligo. Play the 2 Ballyliffins and Rosepenna in the same trip.

Another one to try and i'm playing it in October is the great north links challange. Played over Ballyliffin, Portrush and PortStewart €175 is super value.

That sounds a good one , the fact it is october may suit me home wise and work wise.

I'd say the weather could be interesting .

A time of the year to play links golf up there for the mad, the romantics , boards golf nuts, a run away , or a pure links lover. :D

I fit into a few of above.

Played Baltray today for the first time.

Really, really good track. Tough but fair.

Open week there all this week, still some slots remaining some of the days.
    30 Euro - and ya won't play it in finer weather.

That sounds a good one , the fact it is october may suit me home wise and work wise.

I'd say the weather could be interesting .

A time of the year to play links golf up there for the mad, the romantics , boards golf nuts, a run away , or a pure links lover. :D

I fit into a few of above.

Played in it last year weather was a bit windy the first day but was perfect for Portrush and Portstewart. Good time of the year for links golf as the rough is at its lowest.

.......the lunch in Portmarnock GC must be good. Would want to be.
    185 they're looking for a regular tee time at the mo.

155 for early bird.
    125 during winter.

All inclusive of lunch!

Just economics I guess. Pebble Beach do the same. They know people want to play it, so they can max the price out.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭plumber77

Played carne a couple of months back. In fairness the 12th is part if a redesign down in that corner so that probably explains the poor green there. It's only a temporary green I think.

• Advertisement

ib_sanf wrote: »
    .......the lunch in Portmarnock GC must be good. Would want to be.
    185 they're looking for a regular tee time at the mo.

155 for early bird.
    125 during winter.

All inclusive of lunch!

Just economics I guess. Pebble Beach do the same. They know people want to play it, so they can max the price out.

It is mad money.

Funny thing about US - there are local rates or days when locals can come in and get a reasonable rate ,in South Carolina for example.

There hardly seems to be even an open day at most top courses in Ireland.

There are even days and rates for people who work in industry in certain industries.

Yes we understand chasing the buck, but middle of the winter, give the locals a reasonable break. These places are mostly empty.

Even Royal County Down has far better winter rates.

Advertisement