Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ally McIntosh

plumber77 wrote: »
    Played carne a couple of months back. In fairness the 12th is part if a redesign down in that corner so that probably explains the poor green there. It's only a temporary green I think.

The 12th hole is out of action. In its place sits the little postage stamp par three that is the 4th on the new nine.

So it's not a temporary green, just one still maturing. It's certainly an unusual green and one not meant to be easy given the length of the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ib_sanf

Some spots still available in the Golf Digest event in St Anne's this Friday.

Played in one of their events before. Fun and well organized. Pace of play on the slow side - hopefully being on a Friday this one may be a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭bustercherry

ib_sanf wrote: »
    Some spots still available in the Golf Digest event in St Anne's this Friday.

Played in one of their events before. Fun and well organized. Pace of play on the slow side - hopefully being on a Friday this one may be a bit better.

65 euros is too steep for st annes IMO. I'd save your money and play Corballis instead; much better.

It may well be, but I live local to it and have not played it before. So have to play it at least once.

Have played Corrballis plenty of times.
    65 euros is too steep for st annes IMO. I'd save your money and play Corballis instead; much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Barnseire

FYI - Open week starts in St Anne's on Wed 23rd, where visitors can play for €20.

• Advertisement

Ahhra Jazus I'm poxed!

Sure I can go back if I like it
    Barnseire wrote: »
    FYI - Open week starts in St Anne's on Wed 23rd, where visitors can play for €20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

June 26 Connemara Championship (Hackett) 18
    June 27 Carne (Hackett) 18
    June 28 Connemara Championship (Hackett) 18
    June 28 Connemara Coast 9 (?)

July 17 Rosapenna Sandy Hills (Ruddy) 18
    July 18 Portsalon (Thompson/ Ruddy / McGinley) 18
    July 19 Rosapenna Old Tom Morris (Morris/ Ruddy) 18

Played Connemara plenty of times and played Portsalon when I was a nipper in the 70's. So looking forward to a Ruddy / Hackett overload

Not going to make it to Portsalon but Sandy Hills on Thurs and Old Tom Morris on Friday. Closer to home, playing Royal Dublin for 1st time on Sunday.

Any words of collective wisdom on playing Rosapenna?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

Was invited to play in amam the first weekend in August in tralee and ballybunion old course €100 per man. Sounds like great value. Think i may accept as it sounds massive value. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

I played both for the first time a couple of months ago. Sandy Hills is an amazing course but if you are not accurate of the tee it will break your heart. I play off 13 and found it very difficult. A good drive or even a good approach shot which takes a bad bounce on fairway or green, your ball is lost or caught in the heavy rough. It is more suited to lower handicappers.

Old Tom Morris is alot easier and very enjoyable to play.

Really enjoyed St. Anne's there last week.
    Yeap, a rack green fee is a little pricey there - that's pretty much the way however, with golf courses in proximity to a city centre, the world over. Ya pay more and get less.

That aside, it's a fine golf course. Certainly not hilly, but not as flat as I was led to believe.
    Plenty of defenses, and an enjoyable course to play.
    Didn't realise it only went from being a 9 to an 18, 15 or so years ago. Looks like they have been continuously spending on the course in recent years. I would say it will improve as it matures.

Side by side with its neighbor Royal Dublin I would say:
    St Anne's
    1. I found St Annes more consistent. The course routing had a more consistent flow that knitted together more from beginning to end.
    2. There were several holes in the back 9 that ran parallel, you could hit a bad shot and be on a parallel fairway. That might feel a bit up and down, if you played it regularly.

Royal Dublin
    1. A fine course. My criticism would be that the front and back 9 are kinda like 2 separate courses.
    The front, very narrow fairways. The back 9, much more generous.
    2. Course condition would be a notch up frm St Anne's, as you would expect witha course of its calibre. Course has a nice finish to that classic Open like clubhouse.

Will deffo try to make it back to St Anne's for open week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭shamco

Not going to make it to Portsalon but Sandy Hills on Thurs and Old Tom Morris on Friday. Closer to home, playing Royal Dublin for 1st time on Sunday.

Leave the driver in the bag. Very tight off the tee with savage rough

Back from my latest trip to the North Western Edges of the Irish Golfing Map. My Playing partners were me (h/c14) my son and 2 friends playing off 16, 23 and 25, though the last 2 should be off 18 in my mind.

Sandy Hills Thursday 17th July: From the very 1st tee, I really liked the course. A great variety of holes, in terrain, in layout and in distance. Some blind holes but all were reasonably straightforward to navigate. Course conditioning is very good. We were a bit worried because the practice green was very slow but the on course greens were medium fast and ran true. We did play it on a calm day and the scoring reflected it. One of the boys covered the back 9 in 2 over gross. Shamco mentioned the narrow fairways and the severity of the rough, but none of us felt it to be so but perhaps its because we’re used to playing on a links. As an example I played the front 9 very well with 19 pts, but on the back 9 my driving was all over the place, but I never lost a ball. Finally, there is a hole that could be the prettiest hole I’ve ever seen (6th or 7th I think). A par 4 where the fairway narrows to a pinch point and then the fairway drops away to reveal the green 50ft below you. All this with the sea and mountain in the background.
    Old Tom Morris Friday 18th July: Again a very good course. I’d have to say I liked the back 9 much better than the front. I think this is the original Tom Morris 9. It broadly goes out and back along the coast. That can often feel a bit dull, but in this case not a bit of it. We got hit by 2 hours of almost gale force wind on the back nine, so it became as much about surviving the experience as anything. I think it’s a testimony of the Old Tom Morris, that even with the severity of the wind we still liked it so much.
    Of the 2, I’d prefer Sandy Hills, but the 9 holes I enjoyed most that the back nine on the Old Tom Morris. It’s also interesting to see the St Patrick Links (now owned by Rosapenna) laid out on the hill in the distance. The size of the property is huge. Stayed in the Rosapenna hotel which I’d highly recommend.
    Royal Dublin Sunday 20th July: This was the 5th day in a row (including 6 holes on Wed night) and my back and feet have given up. Played at 4:30 with the course fairly empty. Tee’s fairways and greens were all pretty good but I was surprised that the bunkers weren't better presented especially as it is what large part of what defines the course. Perhaps it’s the nature of the terrain but there is a sameness to the look of the holes whether they are par 3, 4 or 5’s. Sounds a bit odd to say that. Other than the 16th(cause its drivable) and 18th, it’s hard to remember any individual hole. Also I'm not a bit fan of 9 holes downwind followed by 9 into the wind.

Seapoint Golf Links

Never played it but walked it on Saturday evening while following an interclub match.
    I thought it was a really nice course. Heavily bunkered fairways puts a real premium on your drive. Play safe with an iron and face a demanding 2nd shot often at an difficult angle. Take them on with a driver and be rewarded with a opportunity with your 2nd shot or else hacking out of the sand. Greens looked smooth and fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Seapoint Golf Links

Never played it but walked it on Saturday evening while following an interclub match.
    I thought it was a really nice course. Heavily bunkered fairways puts a real premium on your drive. Play safe with an iron and face a demanding 2nd shot often at an difficult angle. Take them on with a driver and be rewarded with a opportunity with your 2nd shot or else hacking out of the sand. Greens looked smooth and fast.

Nice course a couple of hole that don't really feel linksy well worth playing.

Played St. Annes Friday enjoyable course a bit up and down so not like 90% of links course a big miss and u are on the next fairway but it is generous off the tee and most of the rough is playable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

scrubber72 wrote: »
    Was invited to play in amam the first weekend in August in tralee and ballybunion old course €100 per man. Sounds like great value. Think i may accept as it sounds massive value. ;-)

Pat Mulcare am am, 18 holes on tralee and 18 in ballybunion. Played it last year and really enjoyed it. Uncle's a member of ballyb, so as his guest I only had to pay 50e. 100e still great value imo to play competitive golf on 2 of the finest tracks in the country. Il be there again in 2wks!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I was a member of The Island for about 10 years. Unfortunately I fell out of playing golf which I now deeply regret, because imo The Island is a wonderful course (though at times over the years I found it could get into pretty bad shape depending on weather and how heavily it was being used). But when the greenkeepers had it right it was just lovely.

Have also played Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, St. Annes but only once or twice each so I can't really give a fair appraisal of them.

I was a member of The Island for about 10 years. Unfortunately I fell out of playing golf which I now deeply regret, because imo The Island is a wonderful course (though at times over the years I found it could get into pretty bad shape depending on weather and how heavily it was being used). But when the greenkeepers had it right it was just lovely.

Have also played Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, St. Annes but only once or twice each so I can't really give a fair appraisal of them.

New Head Greenkeeper joined about 18 Mths ago. Never been in better condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

It looks great on the website but with visitor fees of €100- a bit too rich for my blood- and now Kevin markham is tweeting photos of the island 😢

Great to hear. Is there any more talk or plans of altering the course? I know they did the fourth a couple of years back, moved the green I think.

One thing that would stop me ever joining there even though it is a club i love to play is the temp greens and no play off the fairway in the winter. Links golf is great in winter when the course can play much the same as summer time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

mike12 wrote: »
    One thing that would stop me ever joining there even though it is a club i love to play is the temp greens and no play off the fairway in the winter. Links golf is great in winter when the course can play much the same as summer time.

Bloody hell what a way to live

I can competely understand why the policy is in place though. The course is based on sand, there's often no divot to replace, and it's too cold for grass to grow. It's unfortunate but the place would be competely wrecked. I'm not sure the temporary greens are in all winter though are they? Can't really recall now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Dealerz wrote: »
    It looks great on the website but with visitor fees of €100- a bit too rich for my blood- and now Kevin markham is tweeting photos of the island 😢

Yea, place was looking amazing today. Played 18 in perfect sunshine. Simply can't beat that. As Trapper said, the condition is superb. Most fairways are like greens.
    Great to hear. Is there any more talk or plans of altering the course? I know they did the fourth a couple of years back, moved the green I think.

Still talk... but more muttering at the moment. Personally, the eight par fours to start is brilliant. They're all so different I can't understand why people feel there has to be a par three or a par five in there to make it interesting and easier to score.

A lot of clubs have that though. I think Royal County Down & European are exceptions, but others might know others that allow full play.

That would be a useful list to create, so people know what to expect when booking in the winter months

I can competely understand why the policy is in place though. The course is based on sand, there's often no divot to replace, and it's too cold for grass to grow. It's unfortunate but the place would be competely wrecked. I'm not sure the temporary greens are in all winter though are they? Can't really recall now.

Other than when laying a new green (7th and before that the 4th) I can't remember the last time that there were temp greens. We, like a number of courses (including Portmornock and Portrush) play off mats in the winter. In the spring there is an additional par 3 between 3 & 4th hole that is brought into play to help take one of the other holes out of play.

Do I love playing off mats, no. But if you want summer fairways of the quality that Kevin describes, it is something to endure. In reality I don't mind it too much. As an aside, in preparation for the British Amateur Open, they were playing off Mats in Portrush in May and early June.

One of the defining aspect of Links golf is the sandy soil it is built on but as you say this brings its own challenges.
    Golf like life has many trade offs. Links, in general are playable in all conditions, even frost has less impact as the proximity to the sea means higher temps and even when there is frost the exposed nature of Links clears the frost much quicker than inland courses. Parkland may be more prone to frost, casual water and coming back from the course with your caddy car shoes and trousers covered in mud. On the other hand links may make you play of mats and due to the wind render any umbrella worse than useless.

Not sure how accurate this is. EG there seems to be a host of courses missing from Melbournes Sand Belt. Also, I have to say I was surprised at how many English Links there are

http://www.migrantgolfer.com/the-true-links-courses-of-the-world/

Scotland 84
    Ireland 58
    England 53
    Wales 15
    Continental Europe 14
    Australia and New Zealand 16
    North America 5
    Africa 1

Scotland (84)

Ireland 58

Thanks have been looking for this for ages, will have to compare with my own think i had 50 something 18 hole course.
    Around half way thru them at this stage but have to head to the expensive south west to tick off the most of the rest.
    Not sure if i am ever going to play the second course at the like of Enniscrone either how could you waste 4 hours playing it when the real thing is just beside you.
    The Ansley at RCD is a cool little course a real mini version of the real thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Ireland 58

Thanks have been looking for this for ages, will have to compare with my own think i had 50 something 18 hole course.
    Around half way thru them at this stage but have to head to the expensive south west to tick off the most of the rest.
    Not sure if i am ever going to play the second course at the like of Enniscrone either how could you waste 4 hours playing it when the real thing is just beside you.
    The Ansley at RCD is a cool little course a real mini version of the real thing.

Ansley is a class little facility for juniors and good value. Would also be a great warm up for the big deal.

On winter rules - have to say find it a bit frustrating that the rules are different across different courses - but as Trapper has said , you take the hit in the winter for nice summer courses.

Only thing I find - you can go down the road to another course and go ahead - no issue.
    So do you really want to pay (sometimes big money) - to hit off mats ?
    I'd actually rather, just go to Corballis or another course with no temp greens or winter rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

There is a classic on in the Old Course in Ballybunion next Monday(Bank Holiday) for anyone that might be interested. Team of 4 at €50 a head. Seems to be plenty times available

Last couple of winters i played a lot in the European and Portmarnock both courses full qualifying. Paid for the Island and the fairways were out of play and there were 3 or 4 holes shortened to par 3's with temp greens.
    Links golf on a clam winters day is a joy and conditions are just as good as the summer time on most links courses.
    Love the Island but it would put me off being a member having 4/5 months of the year when the course wasn't really fully open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Last couple of winters i played a lot in the European and Portmarnock both courses full qualifying. Paid for the Island and the fairways were out of play and there were 3 or 4 holes shortened to par 3's with temp greens.
    Links golf on a clam winters day is a joy and conditions are just as good as the summer time on most links courses.
    Love the Island but it would put me off being a member having 4/5 months of the year when the course wasn't really fully open.

I love The Island - but in winter I had a similar experience.

It seems some locations have harsh winter conditions and others don't - or maybe it is grass type ?

Advertisement