Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Lol.

no your dead right . One and Only chance to break 70.

Tones if you break 80 first time around there I'll buy you 3 pints.

There it is right there. Im hardly goin to lie about the round now for the sake of 3 pints u dope ha. Can email u the scorecard

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Why are you calling me a dope?

I didn't make the bet fix did. I just said it will be tough for you.

ForeRight wrote: »
    Why are you calling me a dope?

I didn't make the bet fix did. I just said it will be tough for you.

I didnt? I quoted fix. But now im calling you dopey :)

Tones69 wrote: »
    I didnt? I quoted fix. But now im calling you dopey :)

I don't get why quoted it again as we had already talked about the bet.

Anyway you go burn corballis up you big legend

ForeRight wrote: »
    I don't get why quoted it again as we had already talked about the bet.

Anyway you go burn corballis up you big legend

Man, wat are u on about??? I quoted FDP NOT YOU! Second tie i quoted u and called u dopey for makin that mistake ha my god

• Advertisement

Tones69 wrote: »
    Man, wat are u on about??? I quoted FDP NOT YOU! Second tie i quoted u and called u dopey for makin that mistake ha my god

Fair play.

Enjoy corballis

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Lads this is The Links Thread - we don't raise voices we listen to the sea. :D

Anyway - my fault for raising the challenge. Sorry "I WAS WRONG"

The most over talked about Links in the country. "MY FAULT TOO"

Anyway enjoy - I'd say a 59 has been scored there (imo). I'm not even that good and just knew how to play it.

If I was you I'd play it in morning - then hit Port Links in afternoon - a man of your ball speed will get around Corballis in 2hr 45 mins. I'd go around with you myself , but would be worth about 5 shots to you :p

Best of luck - I'll stand over my word and trust you on yours if you go ahead.

And by the way Tones - next time you are on the Links Thread - please , never mention a course in a county that doesn't touch a county that touches the sea. :D

Lads this is The Links Thread - we don't raise voices we listen to the sea. :D

Anyway - my fault for raising the challenge. Sorry "I WAS WRONG"

The most over talked about Links in the country. "MY FAULT TOO"

Anyway enjoy - I'd say a 59 has been scored there (imo). I'm not even that good and just knew how to play it.

If I was you I'd play it in morning - then hit Port Links in afternoon - a man of your ball speed will get around Corballis in 2hr 45 mins. I'd go around with you myself , but would be worth about 5 shots to you :p

Best of luck - I'll stand over my word and trust you on yours if you go ahead.

And by the way Tones - next time you are on the Links Thread - please , never mention a course in a county that doesn't touch a county that touches the sea. :D

Ha gotcha! Il let u know wat the verdict is next week if we get to go ok

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭WacoKid

I'm a member in Corballis and have played Portmarnock Links many, many times. Portmarnock links is much easier as you can bash it down another fairway to with 100 yards on a good few par 4's. Par 5's are reachable too.

Give me short par 4's and any par 5's over the par 3's in Corballs. Even if you look at scoring stats for pro's they make most shots on par 5's then par 4's then par 3's. Corballis has one par 5 that in summer you can't even hit driver as it will run OB.

What makes Corballis harder is the fact is it has all these par 3's. We are not talking about a short course because of short par 4's. Also, any ball not on the short stuff is dead. You may find it but you won't like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

WacoKid wrote: »
    I'm a member in Corballis and have played Portmarnock Links many, many times. Portmarnock links is much easier as you can bash it down another fairway to with 100 yards on a good few par 4's. Par 5's are reachable too.

Give me short par 4's and any par 5's over the par 3's in Corballs. Even if you look at scoring stats for pro's they make most shots on par 5's then par 4's then par 3's. Corballis has one par 5 that in summer you can't even hit driver as it will run OB.

What makes Corballis harder is the fact is it has all these par 3's. We are not talking about a short course because of short par 4's. Also, any ball not on the short stuff is dead. You may find it but you won't like it!
    Even though the par 4's are short u would be still hitting in the same club for you second shot if they were 50/60 yards longer.
    The 3rd is as good a hole as you will find anywhere think it would be in my top 18 holes in the country and the 5th is a super par 4. If only 5 iron wedge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Moat_Cailin

Had a 69 around there this year. I'm beginning to think that was my best ever round . And I'll never beat that around there.

A 7 around every corner.

It is a much loved and hated course . Over talked about on here. But it is great for your game.

Heard a good one last Week . That Langar used to practice on it . Could that be true ?

Just seen it is true (lol).

Great shooting.

It's a course that divides opinion, I love the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Was up at Ballyliffin on Sunday, first time there in years and it's spectacular. It was a horrible day so figured I wouldn't get any golf played, sat in the clubhouse watching Mcgrane play the last few holes, he had just missed the putt on 18 and horsey had made eagle. Just as it was getting good, the sky's cleared and the rain stopped.
    Ran out and tee'd off on the glashedy course, as good a track as I have ever seen, bunkers in play on every hole and tight fairways. Played very well for the first 9 holes and I was in 5 bunkers, 2 of them landing on the green but running off into a bunker.
    The 7th is an elevated tee with maybe a 50yard drop and a lake protecting the right side of the green. Pro tip in the stroke saver said it either plays a driver or 8 iron depending on the wind, I hit a wedge onto the front, that tells you how much wind there was that day.
    Every green was immaculate and the rough was punishing but still wispy enough that you could find your ball.
    Got to the 9th and the sky over the sea was pitch black, so figured I take shelter in the clubhouse again, just make it in time for the sky's to open. I think I could still be standing there today waiting for that shower to pass.
    Cut my losses and headed back to the hotel to meet the wife.
    Think I'm heading back on the 17th of August, can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,784 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Ye feckers with all this talk of Corballis.........

I'm going to have to head over this evening after work and try and play the first 14!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

blackwhite wrote: »
    Ye feckers with all this talk of Corballis.........

I'm going to have to head over this evening after work and try and play the first 14!

Just remember, on the par 3 13th, don't be long, short or left and you'll be fine

Felexicon wrote: »
    Just remember, on the par 3 13th, don't be long, short or left and you'll be fine

I know that - it hasn't helped me too often there though! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

Felexicon wrote: »

The best approach to the 13th green could be to pick up and walk to the 14th tee box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Moat_Cailin

On the 13th I like to aim 5 yards short of the green keepers shed :D

Lol on 13 .
    You have 3 choices.
    Hole in 1.
    2 inch birdie
    6 and walk on.

Hit and hope. And if you think you have made it home.

Don't worry 17 is worse.

On the 13th I like to aim 5 yards short of the green kepers shed :D

:D

you could almost claim the chipping green was the hole. Drive on, on the 13 bypass option.

Lol on 13 .
    You have 3 choices.
    Hole in 1.
    2 inch birdie
    6 and walk on.

Hit and hope. And if you think you have made it home.

Don't worry 17 is worse.

The slope between tiers on the 17th is bad, but I still think the 13th green is the most severe on the course. Downhill putts on that are just impossible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Would it be controversial to say the 13th is a bit of a Mickey Mouse hole?

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

I

Actually . If I'm being honest.

13 is just a bad golf hole. (Imo).

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

Blasphemy. Love 13, up and downs are rare, you need a perfect strike in the wind, definitely a buzz when you stitch the flag .

Go past the flag and a 3 putt is on. 17 is daft imo

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Got a birdie on the 13th in The Island the last time I played it. Wind was into the hole from the right, so hit a 3 wood, the second I hit it I thought it was going OOB but for the one and only time in my life I hit a wind-assisted draw, it pitched just short of the green, and ran to about a foot from the hole. Didn't get too many twos on that hole, though aside from its length it isn't really that difficult.

Jaysus . Could have it's own thread at this stage..

Good debate . Which is harder 13 or 17 ?

Would love a hole in one there.
    Closest has been 6 and 17. pitched hit flag on 17.

Even on the 2 worst and most debated par 3s - 13 and 17 , there seems a strange twist, that the two holes have some of the best views on the course. I know that does nothing for some - but it does something for me. A golf course is subjective , it is a personal relationship. Real golfers - well, mad golfers , don't just view something as a golf course, it is something else to them. They actually love an inanimate object. (lol). They (well me) , the maddest of them - begin to actually form a relationship with it. :D

At certain times in life - everybody needs a friend.

I remember at one stage things weren't going great for me (something I had no control over) - not just golf. I was out in Corballis using it to try improve at this game, de-stress too. It was ridiculously dark , just after a summer sun set, I was ridiculously late for dinner at my Dad's. I picked up the ball eventually out of 13 th hole. I looked out at one of the stillest seas I had ever seen - not a person, the only intrusion the sound of sea.

It was like a bloody Forest Gump moment. I could have stayed there forever.

Got to my Dad's - We were all in this rough patch together.

He asked "where were you son".
    Me "13th Corballis".

No more words were needed. :)

Jaysus . Could have it's own thread at this stage..

Good debate . Which is harder 13 or 17 ?

Would love a hole in one there.
    Closest has been 6 and 17. pitched hit flag on 17.

13 is much harder. Much less room for error, and seems like a smaller target.

On 17 the green is/seems bigger, and you can generally miss left/short and still have a chance at making a 4!

In my head at least, the wind always seems to be worse on 13 as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Went about 20 feet past the hole on 13 one day. Barely looked at the line as I was sure it was impossible to hole it. Low and behold, middle of the fecking cup.

I prefer 13 to 17 but it's mainly because I score better on 13.

blackwhite wrote: »
    13 is much harder. Much less room for error, and seems like a smaller target.

On 17 the green is/seems bigger, and you can generally miss left/short and still have a chance at making a 4!

In my head at least, the wind always seems to be worse on 13 as well!

Love that - still have a chance of making 4 :D

But on 17 , you can't be - left - short - long , lost right when rough let go.

May try study my scores.

• Advertisement

Got a birdie on the 13th in The Island the last time I played it. Wind was into the hole from the right, so hit a 3 wood, the second I hit it I thought it was going OOB but for the one and only time in my life I hit a wind-assisted draw, it pitched just short of the green, and ran to about a foot from the hole. Didn't get too many twos on that hole, though aside from its length it isn't really that difficult.

Hit a 6 iron - daft club , needed 5.

Got up and down but, for a par.

I'd say any par 3 , you are hitting a 3 wood , onto a devilish green with strong winds and sea right , then fast breaks for your putt - is not a hole that will be a walk in the park for most.

It is only index 9 - but that sums up how hard The Island is for me.

Advertisement