Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭lenihankevin

Three ball in ballybunion today..cashen course..weather was perfect..got to see an eagle on the 9th and a hole in one on the 11th..by my two playing partners of course!!! Superb course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

With all the talk of Corballis on here i might play there early in the morning if anyone wants to join me. Is there an open on there on a Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

How is the back today? All joking aside you were lucky you were not really hurt, he was no more than 60 yars away from you with a 3 wood.

J

Grand john thanks- just bruised.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

denisoc16 wrote: »
    With all the talk of Corballis on here i might play there early in the morning if anyone wants to join me. Is there an open on there on a Friday?

Oh man I'm so tempted- but I've to study- you'll enjoy it even just for the views, I believe there's an open every Friday yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

Played tralee for the second time this year last weekend and also ballybunion old for the first and last time ever.
    Tralee has become my second favorite course (first is carne in good condition) but i have never felt so disappointed with a course as i was with ballybunion old.
    Weather conditions aside i don't think would be to hard to score on a calm day and it definitely doesn't have the views or beauty of tralee. I would actually prefer enniscrone and rosses point and certainly wouldn't pay 180 euro for the privilege.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

If you make it to Tralee, it's well worth a trip out to Dingle Golf Links (Ceann Sibeal). The drive out the dingle peninsula is fantastic, and the views around the links at Ceann Sibeal are to be enjoyed. On a good day, you'll love it. It's a fine course, maybe not at the Tralee or Ballybunion level, but enjoyable and a good challenge. And if you ring the clubhouse you can probably get a good deal on a green fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

scrubber72 wrote: »
    Played tralee for the second time this year last weekend and also ballybunion old for the first and last time ever.
    Tralee has become my second favorite course (first is carne in good condition) but i have never felt so disappointed with a course as i was with ballybunion old.
    Weather conditions aside i don't think would be to hard to score on a calm day and it definitely doesn't have the views or beauty of tralee. I would actually prefer enniscrone and rosses point and certainly wouldn't pay 180 euro for the privilege.

It can often happen when you go to a course you are expecting to be super and it ends up as a let down.
    I played Portmarnock a couple of years ago and was expecting it to be better than anything i had played and it was a bit of a let down same with Royal Dublin both ex Irish open venues.
    Think if you landed in Ireland and were brought on a tour of the west coast golf courses and then asked to price them afterwards you would find the north west would work out the most expensive place to play:).
    With the courses in the south west you are paying for the history and reputation rather than the quality of the golf course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

scrubber72 wrote: »

You could probably say that about a lot of links courses to be fair. The more I play Ballybunion the more I like it. Fair enough it starts slowly but once you turn back towards the clubhouse on the 7th there is a serious run of holes all the way to the finish(in my opinion). Every hole from there home makes you think, and forces you to hit good shots. PLay it again and I bet (:eek:) you will appreciate it more

• Registered Users Posts: 48 sinabhfuil

Played Arklow Links today for the first time and must say I really enjoyed it. I don't get to play a lot of links golf but I love it. Only used the driver twice today and was hitting 8-5 irons from 150 on a few different holes. Yep, it's a different ball game altogether compared to parkland courses!

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭Ronney

mike12 wrote: »
    It can often happen when you go to a course you are expecting to be super and it ends up as a let down.
    I played Portmarnock a couple of years ago and was expecting it to be better than anything i had played and it was a bit of a let down same with Royal Dublin both ex Irish open venues.
    Think if you landed in Ireland and were brought on a tour of the west coast golf courses and then asked to price them afterwards you would find the north west would work out the most expensive place to play:).
    With the courses in the south west you are paying for the history and reputation rather than the quality of the golf course.

Have to agree with you there regards the west coast and history and reputation of the southern courses.

Sure imagine going away to play a big open flat links course where 14 holes have massive shared greens and you have to content with such obstacles as roads to play off, walls close to the back of the green and a hotel to hit over off a blind tee shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Played the Bomore course in Rosses Point recently for the first time. Couldn't get out on the main course so tried this. It's a 9 hole course adjacent to the main course and a fantastic compliment to it. Flat but really nice. I thought as it was the second course it would be easy-peasey but not so. Actually, 2 of them (5 & 7) are as difficult as any on the main course. Because it's quieter and flat we went around twice in no time at all. Also, it was really well maintained. I've played Rosses Point "proper" many times and the greens / fairways on Bomore were every bit as good.

A great last minute option if you find yourself in Sligo sometime wanting to play 9 / 18 holes.

Loire.

Ronney wrote: »
    Have to agree with you there regards the west coast and history and reputation of the southern courses.

Sure imagine going away to play a big open flat links course where 14 holes have massive shared greens and you have to content with such obstacles as roads to play off, walls close to the back of the green and a hotel to hit over off a blind tee shot.

I know if it was beside Corballis we all would be giving out about how mad it was to have a shared fairway never mind a shared green.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Lads. Never imagined I'd say this.

Corballis greens poor by their standard at moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Lads. Never imagined I'd say this.

Corballis greens poor by their standard at moment.

Say it ain't so Fix!
    What was up with them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Jesus if i dont get to play linksy soon il crack

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Say it ain't so Fix!
    What was up with them?

Combination.

Too much traffic.
    A bit dry and hard.
    Hard to see and some unrepairable pitch marks
    Holes in same places too often (small greens)

I guess it is at its best off main season.

Too many people on small greens and unusual weather is my guess.

The strange green stuff needed and less talk on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,784 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Played Doonbeg over the weekend. It's spectacular.

Fairways are generous enough at the 200-210 mark, but some of them narrow up significantly beyond that.

Greens were in great nick, except for 5 & 6 which we were told in advance we newly built greens (redesign due to the storm damage from last year). Speaking to one of the pros there and he said that there's some more changes planned, but didn't get into specifics.

Managed to get out at members rates, but I think I'd nearly be willing to pay full price to play it again when the changes have all been done.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,357 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Playing Baltray tomorrow. Four of us came second in a classic during the summer and won the green fees as a prize so we're tipping up tomorrow. Looks like it might be decent enough weather wise, albeit a bit windy.

Any thing I should know about the place before we go up ? Any holes not to hit driver, any holes not to go for the green, etc ? :)

Rikand wrote: »
    Playing Baltray tomorrow. Four of us came second in a classic during the summer and won the green fees as a prize so we're tipping up tomorrow. Looks like it might be decent enough weather wise, albeit a bit windy.

Any thing I should know about the place before we go up ? Any holes not to hit driver, any holes not to go for the green, etc ? :)

I really liked it - as Links go it is all fairly straight in front of you.

You've obviousy looked at the course guide.

First time I felt I was on a championship links - because it was :D

http://countylouthgolfclub.com/course-guide.html

Thanks FDP :)

So not having a DMD won't be a disadvantage ;)

• Advertisement

Thanks FDP :)

So not having a DMD won't be a disadvantage ;)

Well marked - well marked.

Hit the 8 hard when it looks a 7.

Close your eyes when you add up your score.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ib_sanf

Excellent course.
    Enjoy it.

My only advice would be if you're on the short stuff near the green - use your putter - on this course even more so than other links.
    The greens have really suttle trickery in them.

No Links since the Atlantic Coast and the Great North links isn't for another 6 weeks. Still having Portrush, Portstewart and Ballyliffin to look forward to is some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

played Ardglass and Royal County Down back to back in the down summer trophy last week.. Ardglass was in great shape and the greens were like lightning...but very true.

Royal County Down is a thing of beauty and i was -1 after the first before it grabbed me by the clinkers and put manners on me.

Some of the settings coming back towards the Mourne mountains were truly stunning and all four of us were having a nightmare but collectively we agreed if there is a place you don't mind playing bad golf its gotta be there.

How did you get on Rik.

How did you get on Rik.

Fantastic golf course! Fabulous...
    Greens are immaculate. They roll so true, ah they're just beautiful!

The fairways are so perfect to hit off. Hard but also soft. I hit a few long irons off the fairways, the pick of which was a 4 iron on 9 into 30 feet which i holed for birdie.

The only problem for me is that i dont really have the game for links at the moment. Its such a huge difference from parkland and the way you have to play shots is so different. Its a complete change in the mindset.

My ONLY complaint with baltray is the distance you walk between the greens and next tees. Some huge walks in there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It's not often I play links and by coincidence it was also Baltray today for me. Quite a plain start I thought, no real dune activity on the front nine and generous enough fairways. Rough was immense, I hit a nice shot into the first green, huge bounce into rough and bye bye, no way of finding it, not the usual fescue or wispy grass, more dense agricultural type stuff, ball buried instantly!
    Back 9 was way better, from 11 through to 16 especially, more what I was hoping for with landing areas and dunes to the fore, great view from an elevated 14th (I think) except I left my camera back in the bag and wasn't going to go back and get it. Greens were being over seeded as we were playing and you certainly were tested on them, delighted with just the two 3 putts. Lost two balls out of pure lack of course knowledge, both good 9 irons that bounced beyond blind sight, horsed my tee shot on 18 OOB right as some wind came up on the tee and I just couldn't stop my swing as the ball was wavering, pissed about that one. 31 points off the whites, blind with 3 lost balls so very happy with that.
    If only the front 9 was more like the back 9 it would be a cracker. Not in any way a weak course but surprised by my expectations for one of the best in the land, it just didn't feel like it.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thewobbler

That's pretty much how I'd sum it up too slave1.

It's a nice course, and there's a very good stretch in the middle of the back 9 when the holes are framed by dunes. But the front 9 is a bit bland, and has a number of same-y holes. I wouldn't put it on the same page as RCD or Sandy Hills, and I'd have it way beneath Portmarnock Links. I might even put Seapoint on the same level as it.

This doesn't make it a bad course, for it's bloody good. It's just not worthy of the acclaim it gets imho.

For me it encapsulates one of the oddities of golf rankings.

When a links course reaches an age of distinction, the experts queue up to laud its strategic balance, and it tends to go up the rankings.

Yet when a parkland reaches an age of distinction, it's generally surpassed by its younger brothers that have better shapes, and more varied challenges.

I think the fact Baltray is flat for most of it - takes away from it.

But - the more links golf I play - the more flat links are growing on me. At the start of playing links - I was a deep dunes or nothing.

But after playing Arklow - Baltray - Rosses Point. They have grown on me.
    The hole in a way, only starts at the green approach. Then the run on the greens - the feel of hitting the ball off the sand. I love it. Even the wind improves my enjoyment.

It also makes for a more practical round of golf - an easier walk. Yes the courses with big dunes are fun , but I consider them holiday golf. Long rounds and tearfully hard. Even looking for a ball is hard work - the angle you are at. Then trying to hit a ball of the stuff almost breaking an ankle.

Potmarnock Links - is almost a perfect mix of holes - love it as a course - would join, if next door. I'd put the Island a little ahead - and Portmarnock old a little behind.

But the condition of Portmarnock Old - is as good a condition you will ever play a links course of that type.

I guess for some - even a bad links , would keep them happy over a parkland. Just the Photos Slave put up of the green there - would put a smile on my face. Nothing like it for me.

It is literally a different game , and maybe we should not ever try look at the two of them together.

After all has been said there - I'd take Enniscrone every day of the week.

When you are on the East Coast - you have very restricted access to some of the best links we have on this side. In the North West you just turn up and play , it is way too expensive to play the great ones on the east.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thewobbler

I like a flat links myself Fixed. I like all golf courses.

But I think it's only fair to call a spade a spade, and as a golfing experience, Baltray doesn't match the expectations that rankings create.

To rephrase my point on golf rankings - if Baltray was genuinely marked in the same way as Druids Glen or Headfort New according to Golf Digest's criteria, then it's going to lose at least 1 mark to each in the categories of scenery (Baltray has 1 outstanding view, while the parklands are immense walks through the country), design variety (every possible challenge is there on the parklands, Baltray without wind has about 6 long straight 440 yard par 4s), condition (all are good, Druids is best) and playability (Headfort is genuinely playable off the front tees for anyone, and challenging for anyone off the backs), and at least 2 marks in terms of memorability (I can still remember 14-15 holes in both parklands and haven't visited in 3 years, while I can remember maybe 5 holes in Baltray).

That's a lot of marks to make back on shotmaking/variety, let alone enough to push it 30-odd places higher in the final rankings. So in my mind, the high ranking of Baltray is false: it's a biased preference for old school golf.

Advertisement