Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

ForeRight wrote: »
    Where fix?

Why you say that ForeRight :confused::)

Laytown & Bettystown.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Why you say that ForeRight :confused::)

Laytown & Bettystown.

I didn't see you say where you played in your post.
    I've played there twice. Didn't quite know what to make of it to be honest. Some super tough links holes then all of a sudden it's just up and back on yourself for a few holes on the back.
    The finishing par 5 is an atrocious finishing hole imo.

Was in title of post.

Yes it is a bit of a let down from 7/8 on - it finishes ok with 16 and 17 - Found 18 great as almost got an eagle (lol)

No - can see how people hate 18.

It just doesn't have enough of the more links like part in play. Agree that run of holes is poor near road.

But the greens are fantastic / fast. Requires a great touch. Bunkers real traditional, it is nearly a great great course. I'll be trying it again in summer. See if rough gives the flatter holes more character.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Was in title of post.

Yes it is a bit of a let down from 7/8 on - it finishes ok with 16 and 17 - Found 18 great as almost got an eagle (lol)

No - can see how people hate 18.

It just doesn't have enough of the more links like part in play. Agree that run of holes is poor near road.

But the greens are fantastic / fast. Requires a great touch. Bunkers real traditional, it is nearly a great great course. I'll be trying it again in summer. See if rough gives the flatter holes more character.

Outside the actual coastline holes I felt it was just a little thrown together. No doubting the greens though. They were fabulous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

After the Ireland Australia game at the Aviva, I was chatting to a very nice couple from NI . After several beers, got to talking about Golf and turns out they are members of Royal Portrush. A couple of beers later, we were swapping offers to play at respective courses next summer.

Question is, will I have the brass neck to ring them up next year looking for a round of golf?

p.s. I had decided they were a very nice couple even before I knew they were from Portrush.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Course is super well worth playing, what ever you have to do to get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Was in title of post.

Title doesn't appear in mobile version. I was also confused :D

L&B is a strange course tough in any sort of wind because of the raised greens and some serious runoffs. A flat east coast links is always going to compare badly against the bigger dunes on the west coast, well worth the play though.

mike12 wrote: »
    L&B is a strange course tough in any sort of wind because of the raised greens and some serious runoffs. A flat east coast links is always going to compare badly against the bigger dunes on the west coast, well worth the play though.

Well worth playing - in fact I'm going back. If you look at the east coast (to border) there is a top division -

The Island
    European
    Portmarnock
    Portmaronck Links
    Baltray
    Royal Dublin

People would argue about the last one - well when it comes to golf course people often fail to agree.

Rosslare (Haven't played hear it could be top level ?)

Then a 2nd division

Arklow
    Corballis
    St Annes
    Laytown & Bettystown

To show how weak I am when it comes to links - i'd play any of the courses in the 2nd division any day - in fact 2 of them I do :D

After the Ireland Australia game at the Aviva, I was chatting to a very nice couple from NI . After several beers, got to talking about Golf and turns out they are members of Royal Portrush. A couple of beers later, we were swapping offers to play at respective courses next summer.

Question is, will I have the brass neck to ring them up next year looking for a round of golf?

p.s. I had decided they were a very nice couple even before I knew they were from Portrush.

All about the brass neck Trapper ;):D

No chance they had this hat on

$T2eC16ZHJF0E9nmFSs4-BP-Hs+ktRw~~60_35.JPG

• Advertisement

Well worth playing - in fact I'm going back. If you look at the east coast (to border) there is a top division -

The Island
    European
    Portmarnock
    Portmaronck Links
    Baltray
    Royal Dublin

People would argue about the last one - well when it comes to golf course people often fail to agree.

Then a 2nd division

Arklow
    Corballis
    St Annes
    Laytown & Bettystown

To show how weak I am when it comes to links - i'd play any of the courses in the 2nd division any day - in fact 2 of them I do :D
    Left seapoint off the list is it or isn't it. I'm sure someone posted a link to all Irelands links courses and i think it was on it.

All about the brass neck Trapper ;):D

No chance they had this hat on

I also had a past captain of Enniscrone offer to bring me round there as well. I'd had a few Carlsbergs at that stage, there must be a way of linking it into the advert. "Carslberg don't do impromptu conversation about golf at a rugby international but if they did....."

It has to be said that I offered for them to come play with me next tim ethey're in Dublin and they seemed keen. All I need is to find someone in RCD, Pebble Beach and Muirfield :D

No mike. Forgot seapoint . Would be a links in 2nd division.

I think once you have played a course over 10 years ago. It is gone from my mind.

Or else I'm losing it.

Must play Seapoint again too.

Speaking of which. Because the boards lads won't organise a links we should organise a links outing on links thread.

I was thinking European Club at end of winter rate ?

Maybe about 8 /9 of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

Invite them to play your place if they're down for a game in Six Nations the return offer is bound to come then.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,180 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

No mike. Forgot seapoint . Would be a links in 2nd division.

I think once you have played a course over 10 years ago. It is gone from my mind.

Or else I'm losing it.

Must play Seapoint again too.

Speaking of which. Because the boards lads won't organise a links we should organise a links outing on links thread.

I was thinking European Club at end of winter rate ?

Maybe about 8 /9 of us.

Ya, I'd be on for that.
    Dar_Cool came up with a good idea the last time we were playing Corballis together. A mini winter matchplay league idea!

It was at the time when there was a few of us heading out there quite frequently.
    But if we had 8 lads, divide them into 2 groups of 4. Match play against other 3. Winner of each group plays other winner in final (or top two go into semi finals).

It could be done over 4 or 5 weeks, and for a bit of craic you could go out in a 4 ball (2 separate match-plays at once) if the logistics work.

It was with Corballis in mind as we were playing there quite a bit and it wouldn't break the bank for 4-5 rounds.

We could always have the final on in somewhere like the European.
    The 8 lads throw in €15 at the start and the finalists get their round/final in the European paid for. That'd be the only prize bar bragging rights ;)

6 shot cut for the winner Fix... You might get to scratch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭yettie1701

The Island
    European
    Portmarnock
    Portmaronck Links
    Baltray
    Royal Dublin

Then a 2nd division

Arklow
    Corballis
    St Annes
    Laytown & Bettystown

I'd put Roslare in the 2nd division Fix. I'm not knocking it but there is stiff opposition in the first division. It's a nice course and I'd rate it the same as Arklow.

So putting them in a class seems easier than marking

1st division

The Island
    European
    Portmarnock
    Portmaronck Links
    Baltray
    Royal Dublin

2nd division

Arklow
    Rosslare
    Corballis
    St Annes
    Laytown & Bettystown
    Sutton
    Seapoint

I'm happy enough with that and from posts ?

If anybody wants to do Ulster at some stage

Then West.

You could add a 3rd if you want - But I;d be happy on east that there isn't a course I wouldn't play at all.

PARlance wrote: »
    Ya, I'd be on for that.
    Dar_Cool came up with a good idea the last time we were playing Corballis together. A mini winter matchplay league idea!

It was at the time when there was a few of us heading out there quite frequently.
    But if we had 8 lads, divide them into 2 groups of 4. Match play against other 3. Winner of each group plays other winner in final (or top two go into semi finals).

It could be done over 4 or 5 weeks, and for a bit of craic you could go out in a 4 ball (2 separate match-plays at once) if the logistics work.

It was with Corballis in mind as we were playing there quite a bit and it wouldn't break the bank for 4-5 rounds.

We could always have the final on in somewhere like the European.
    The 8 lads throw in €15 at the start and the finalists get their round/final in the European paid for. That'd be the only prize bar bragging rights ;)

6 shot cut for the winner Fix... You might get to scratch :)

Sounds logistically complex - but could keep all going in winter.

Either way we will do Euro Golf Outing for links thread - and it is not Open :D

It is for Link thread lads - not Christmas tree golfers.

1st division

The Island
    European
    Portmarnock
    Portmaronck Links
    Baltray
    Royal Dublin

2nd division

Arklow
    Rosslare
    Corballis
    St Annes
    Laytown & Bettystown
    Sutton
    Seapoint

Then West.

You could add a 3rd if you want - But I;d be happy on east that there isn't a course I wouldn't play at all.

Is Greenore not a links? I always have it in my head that it is but often its not included on lists. Haven't played it since I was a boy (and thats a few years gone by). I was trying to play this summer but just never worked out.

Is Greenore not a links? I always have it in my head that it is but often its not included on lists. Haven't played it since I was a boy (and thats a few years gone by). I was trying to play this summer but just never worked out.
    I'd have to say no, too many trees, water features and the turf is not at all links like, still a really nice course in a super setting.

• Advertisement

1st division

The Island
    European
    Portmarnock
    Portmaronck Links
    Baltray
    Royal Dublin

2nd division

Arklow
    Rosslare
    Corballis
    St Annes
    Laytown & Bettystown
    Sutton
    Seapoint

Then West.

Bundoran division 3 the rest division 1 for the west from Conemara as far as Ballyliffin.
    North
    Division 1
    RCD
    Portrush
    Portstewart
    Ardglass

Division 2
    RCD second course
    Kirkstown Castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

what about Sutton GC ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭benny79

I'd be up for the European, yet to play it and struggling to find playing partners who want too!

benny79 wrote: »
    I'd be up for the European, yet to play it and struggling to find playing partners who want too!
    You should sign up for their singles match play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Given the love for Corballis, Here are some photographs I put up today (taken in July):
    Corballis Photos

As for Greenore - it describes itself as being on links and heath land. I'd say both of those are an over exaggeration. Seaside parkland would be the most obvious description, but it does drain well from what I can recall.

@Mike its a bit of a trek for me just like to play it as a one off and be nice to play it with some boardies :)

Given the love for Corballis, Here are some photographs I put up today (taken in July):
    Corballis Photos

As for Greenore - it describes itself as being on links and heath land. I'd say both of those are an over exaggeration. Seaside parkland would be the most obvious description, but it does drain well from what I can recall.

Super photo's again Kevin.

@Mike its a bit of a trek for me just like to play it as a one off and be nice to play it with some boardies :)

Playing there tomorrow Benny. I'm working in Arklow at the moment and would be available to play again over the next few weeks if that suited. I have another lad with me too.

@Yettie cheers man I would be only able to play the weekends though due to work! if your free some weekend.

• Advertisement

@Yettie cheers man I would be only able to play the weekends though due to work! if your free some weekend.
    I'm the opposite to you Benny. I work up there but live in Carlow. Could bunk off during the week but the weekends would not really suit at the moment. Unless some day over the Christmas Hols would suit you.

Advertisement