Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

I get what you say about blind shots but I felt they were fair blind shots.

What I learned was that if you have a 210Mtr shot that needs a draw to have any chance of holding the green and your ball is 25 Cm below your feet, put down the hybrid and hit a 8Iron followed by a wedge.

As much as I love the 2nd par five hole, I don't think the blind tee shot is fair. You simply can't hit driver, and I've over shot with a 3 iron. You could play it with three 6 irons I reckon. That said, Pat, the former GM, told me he once made par on the par five 16th using a 7 iron for every shot.

As for using an 8 iron and then a wedge... well that's just intelligent play... and why would we want to do that when we could lose a brand new ProV1

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Played Portmarnock yesterday evening, superb course. Weather was a bit mad in that clouds kept rolling over Howth briefly covering the course in fog and kicking up a huge wind. I played it once before nearly 15 years ago but could hardly remember a hole. Anyway would love up play it again, such e nice course.

Played Portmarnock yesterday evening, superb course. Weather was a bit mad in that clouds kept rolling over Howth briefly covering the course in fog and kicking up a huge wind. I played it once before nearly 15 years ago but could hardly remember a hole. Anyway would love up play it again, such e nice course.

Heading there tomorrow for a match.

Trying to 'employ' a certain Hunter Rigsby to carry my bag for the day. He's caddying for the summer as part of his golf course designer endeavours.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Heading there tomorrow for a match.

Trying to 'employ' a certain Hunter Rigsby to carry my bag for the day. He's caddying for the summer as part of his golf course designer endeavours.

Hunter could be first caddy in history - that will have to give tips to his players after his round ;):D

As mentioned a week or so ago, have played The Island a couple of times in recent weekends.

It's just such a good course. The greens are as true as I've ever seen them with barely a pitchmark to be found, and the fairways are being managed really well considering the traffic on them. It's a bit brown at the moment through lack of rain (though this week should help with that, I've a feeling the rough could explode a bit now). I'm not sure the rough is as bad as it's been in the past because I hit some wild drives but always found the ball, even though some of the lies required a sand-wedge sideways hack out.

The only blip is there seems to be a serious drainage issue on the 15th as you approach the green, the ground looks swampy, even when dry, doesn't look like the rest of the fairways at all. It's probably my favourite hole on the course and the last two times has been easily reachable in two from the green tees due to being miles downwind. Obviously the converse to that is I had to hit a driver into 13 and I don't think I was capable of reaching the 12th in two with the wind, absolute minced a drive and a three iron and ended up back at the bottom of the hill.

They've also added a few new tee-boxes that I haven't seen before, like on the 1st and 17th, I didn't play off them but they seem to really lengthen those holes. The monthly medal is on Sunday so will be playing off the whites there at least, so will see if any of those new tee-boxes are used. Can't wait for the weekend now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

As mentioned a week or so ago, have played The Island a couple of times in recent weekends.

It's just such a good course. The greens are as true as I've ever seen them with barely a pitchmark to be found, and the fairways are being managed really well considering the traffic on them. It's a bit brown at the moment through lack of rain (though this week should help with that, I've a feeling the rough could explode a bit now). I'm not sure the rough is as bad as it's been in the past because I hit some wild drives but always found the ball, even though some of the lies required a sand-wedge sideways hack out.

The only blip is there seems to be a serious drainage issue on the 15th as you approach the green, the ground looks swampy, even when dry, doesn't look like the rest of the fairways at all. It's probably my favourite hole on the course and the last two times has been easily reachable in two from the green tees due to being miles downwind. Obviously the converse to that is I had to hit a driver into 13 and I don't think I was capable of reaching the 12th in two with the wind, absolute minced a drive and a three iron and ended up back at the bottom of the hill.

They've also added a few new tee-boxes that I haven't seen before, like on the 1st and 17th, I didn't play off them but they seem to really lengthen those holes. The monthly medal is on Sunday so will be playing off the whites there at least, so will see if any of those new tee-boxes are used. Can't wait for the weekend now.

The fairways on 12 and 15 had a problem with the water table rising above the level of the surface grass and therefore causing water to pool on the surface. 3 or 4 years ago they raised the level of the 12th fairway and did a lot of drainage on the 15th. The 12th is now perfect but the 15th still isn't right. Even when not wet, the ground is heavy and a different consistency to the rest of the course. They are looking at relaying the 15th green and I assume they will look at correcting this at the same time, possibly this winter.
    New Tees are at 1, 2, 3 (only for The Open Qualifier or if they are using the alternative par 3 on the front 9), 17 & 18. Not seen them in the Monthly Medal so far, but with current the run on the fairway, its entirely possible.

Historically, I think you'd expect the rough to have gone through its growth spurt at the beginning of the summer and start to fade / dry up about now. There has definitely been more rough management in more recent years to increase the playability. You can see the most notable examples on the left of the 10th (after the 2 fairway bunkers), right of the 12th and the right of the 15th.

Lads up in Antrim next week a "wee" holiday.

If you could only play one course up there - what would you play ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Lads up in Antrim next week a "wee" holiday.

If you could only play one course up there - what would you play ?

Portrush, best golf course in the country !

J

Portrush, best golf course in the country !

J

£160 pound :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Portstewart almost as good.

• Advertisement

I think I'll only be up there the very rare time, so will have to think about it.

Crazy money - but sometimes if you love your links, you love your links.

I'll write a review - a nicer one if I get it cheap :p:p:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

I think I'll only be up there the very rare time, so will have to think about it.

Crazy money - but sometimes if you love your links, you love your links.

I'll write a review - a nicer one if I get it cheap :p:p:D:D

Seriously I have been lucky enough to play most of the top courses in Ireland and imo Portrush is the best course

J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

Comment removed.

So maybe it is lucky , as price was doing my head in .

But Ulster Amateur on next week in Portrush - so off to play Portstewart.

Will play and report back. I may go in and watch 9 of Ulster Am.

Was thinking (and have spoken to a few lads) - we should organise a links trip to the North at some stage with an overnight and social.

I'll think about that a bit more when I'm up there, but I know of 4/5 that would go up, a B&B and a few drinks. 2 great courses. Maybe late October - or Spring next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭benny79

I'd defo be up for that love links! have played Waterville & European. Hoping for RCD when winter rates come in but would like to get all the top ones in at some stage in my life time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Was thinking (and have spoken to a few lads) - we should organise a links trip to the North at some stage with an overnight and social.

I'll think about that a bit more when I'm up there, but I know of 4/5 that would go up, a B&B and a few drinks. 2 great courses. Maybe late October - or Spring next year.

Can I come?? :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Count me in too. Will need a bootful of balls

Should look into the great north links challenge in early October. Portrush, portstewart and ballyliffin over 3 days. Think the fee is 140.

mike12 wrote: »
    Should look into the great north links challenge in early October. Portrush, portstewart and ballyliffin over 3 days. Think the fee is 140.

Great that is perfect - get a group of maybe 6/7 going up ?

mike12 wrote: »

Mike have you a link to this event - also is rotation up to the player ?

Where is a good base ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭blackwhite

• Registered Users Posts: 21,180 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Heading to play Ballybunion Cashen later today... have only played the front 9 before and I believe I'm in for a treat with the back 9.

PARlance wrote: »
    Heading to play Ballybunion Cashen later today... have only played the front 9 before and I believe I'm in for a treat with the back 9.

The wind should make the 16th very interesting

4720755266_cf684be73a_b.jpg

blackwhite wrote: »

Has anyone played in this.

I play winter links golf , but a word of warning - I'd imagine it could be very cold there that time of year ?

I play winter links golf , but a word of warning - I'd imagine it could be very cold there that time of year ?

Early October? Wouldn't be too bad I reckon in terms of temperature. Could well be wet and windy though.

The wind should make the 16th very interesting

4720755266_cf684be73a_b.jpg

A flick of a W/SW today Kevin. It was against us, or sideways, on all the others 3's.
    Just fell short of "driving" the green on the 5th... carried about 290 with a hybrid. Hitting 4i's from 130 on others. It was fairly blowing out there.

Have to say that on the whole, I prefer the Cashen over the Old. It's much tougher test, it doesn't have quite the same wow factor of the Old's back 9 but it's a better balanced course imo.

Played it the last couple of years. Drove up and stayed in ballyliffin the first night then stayed in portrush the next 2. Think the drive is too long to go up the day of the golf so always go the night before.
    Portrush is a nice spot around the marina there are lots of nice bars and places to eat.
    Would say play early and go see the causeway and the rope bridge.

A flick of a W/SW today Kevin. It was against us, or sideways, on all the others 3's.
    Just fell short of "driving" the green on the 5th... carried about 290 with a hybrid. Hitting 4i's from 130 on others. It was fairly blowing out there.

Have to say that on the whole, I prefer the Cashen over the Old. It's much tougher test, it doesn't have quite the same wow factor of the Old's back 9 but it's a better balanced course imo.

That 5th is an odd (but fun) hole. You didn't mention how you scored on 16...?

You're not the first and you won't be the last to say you prefer the Cashen. I love both of them, but if they could create a composite course imagine how good it would be.

That 5th is an odd (but fun) hole. You didn't mention how you scored on 16...?

You're not the first and you won't be the last to say you prefer the Cashen. I love both of them, but if they could create a composite course imagine how good it would be.

Walked away with bogey on the 16th but don't ask about 11 or 12... Two blanks there which hit me hard... I had played the best golf I've ever played to be +4 after 10. Finished with 36 very hard fought points.

• Advertisement

Walked away with bogey on the 16th but don't ask about 11 or 12... Two blanks there which hit me hard... I had played the best golf I've ever played to be +4 after 10. Finished with 36 very hard fought points.

I'd say 36 points on a links you don't know is seriously good going. And those that are hard fought for are always the most rewarding

Advertisement