Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Played St.Annes yesterday in conditions as calm as you are likely to see on a links. The course was in good nick and it was a course that I never scored well on in any of my 3 previous visits. But yesterday, dosed with a cold, jetlagged and not having played golf in months, I shot 80 which is my third best round anywhere. It's a funny old game.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Was in Corballis today, was stunning out there. Greens a bit hard - but a great escape from it all. Even from other golfers is needed sometimes.

Corballis Season End

The winter on way - season end
    Gold sand, blue flag, calm sea sound
    Old and young, skilled and not
    A par at the devil 3, is never forgot

Hidden in deep dunes, silence sounds
    A bell on the hill - the blind green found
    A silence is broken an unfriendly bark
    The evening is closing - from summer to dark

Memories of shots, of friends all around
    Bad bounces and spins, out of bounds
    The horrible 13 - the unfriendly 17
    A two putt from the top - is rarely seen

Rain will now fall, soft greens will be back
    Ready for the year round golfer, back pin attack
    2015, a full season not to forget
    Tide retreats - we will return yet.

:):p

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Was in Corballis today, was stunning out there. Greens a bit hard - but a great escape from it all. Even from other golfers is needed sometimes.

Corballis Season End

The winter on way - season end
    Gold sand, blue flag, calm sea sound
    Old and young, skilled and not
    A par at the devil 3, is never forgot

Hidden in deep dunes, silence sounds
    A bell on the hill - the blind green found
    A silence is broken an unfriendly bark
    The evening is closing - from summer to dark

Memories of shots, of friends all around
    Bad bounces and spins, out of bounds
    The horrible 13 - the unfriendly 17
    A two putt from the top - is rarely seen

Rain will now fall, soft greens will be back
    Ready for the year round golfer, back pin attack
    2015, a full season not to forget
    Tide retreats - we will return yet.

:):p

I'm a local and I don't play this place often enough, it is a gem though, and, when one is out there with no-one about it can be bliss

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Dooks is a wonderful place, isolated and got soul, lovely compact clubhouse and great views across the course throughout the round..well worth the effort to get there if you ever close by

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Great day for it today in Corballis, hardly a sinner on it early this morning so easy under 3 hours game in a 2 ball.
    Lads, 15e for a singles every Wednesday and Friday, well worth a visit, I only wish I could take more days off from work for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Off next week to play, ballyliffin portsrewart and portrush. Looking at the weather this week it looks like we may have missed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Danny dyers double

Experienced my first links course yesterday morning. Played corballis for 14 euro green fee.
    Really enjoyed it and will definitely be back soon . Played with a mate and we both mark of 21 . I'd 30 points but happy enough as I heard so many horror stories about the course and people saying it was so hard . Yeah it was challenge alright but I was sensible enough of the tee only using driver on 5 holes . So for the most part i kept my ball in play and only managed to lose 2 balls all day and found 5 looking for them .

Highlight of the round was both of us got a birdie on the 18th . My ball was a foot from the hole when I got up to it . Great feeling.

Yesterday was such a calm day with not a hint of wind so I'm under no allusions it would be a different game on a windy day .

Experienced my first links course yesterday morning. Played corballis for 14 euro green fee.
    Really enjoyed it and will definitely be back soon . Played with a mate and we both mark of 21 . I'd 30 points but happy enough as I heard so many horror stories about the course and people saying it was so hard . Yeah it was challenge alright but I was sensible enough of the tee only using driver on 5 holes . So for the most part i kept my ball in play and only managed to lose 2 balls all day and found 5 looking for them .

Highlight of the round was both of us got a birdie on the 18th . My ball was a foot from the hole when I got up to it . Great feeling.

Yesterday was such a calm day with not a hint of wind so I'm under no allusions it would be a different game on a windy day .

Great shooting.

Always a great day if you leave there with more balls than you went.

Also - two great Birds a very difficult green to hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Danny dyers double

Yeah the 18th was crazy . Two 21 handicap players with only 4 pars between us go and both get the birdie you couldn't write.

I'd like to think I'll score better next time around as we had no idea where we where hitting on some holes . 2nd hole in played 6 iron of tee straight the gap only to get up to find the ball in thick rough in a query.

But really enjoyed it and will be back soon

Yeah the 18th was crazy . Two 21 handicap players with only 4 pars between us go and both get the birdie you couldn't write.

I'd like to think I'll score better next time around as we had no idea where we where hitting on some holes . 2nd hole in played 6 iron of tee straight the gap only to get up to find the ball in thick rough in a query.

But really enjoyed it and will be back soon

In this weather an 8 iron.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭loadwire

Also - two great Birds a very difficult green to hold.

Yep I hit a little wedge in there on Saturday, thought if I wasn't on I'd be short but there I was over the green as per bloody usual. Good hole IMO.

loadwire wrote: »
    Yep I hit a little wedge in there on Saturday, thought if I wasn't on I'd be short but there I was over the green as per bloody usual. Good hole IMO.

Even being uphill - only way to hold green is a hard SW or 52 , there are times in golf the only option is a hard higher lofted club - that hole you just need spin - same with 17.

Well works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭loadwire

Even being uphill - only way to hold green is a hard SW or 52 , there are times in golf the only option is a hard higher lofted club - that hole you just need spin - same with 17.

Well works for me.

I've an old PW from pitch and putt days that I fancy myself to manufacture a shot of most lengths with but you're right in what you say so I could probably do with a review of that policy - could be a bit of self-delusion involved. For some reason I've never really used a SW off the grass.

Played Portmarnock Links again today - played it twice this year. You can see that certain courses in Dublin and hopefully the rest of the country are on an upward trend.

In fact, great to see some courses investing in the actual course after a few years of uncertainty - I know there is another debate about NAMA etc........

But it looks like Portmarnock Links is going to now target the upper level green fee. I think we forgot how lucky we were to have a few years of very very cheap golf for top level stuff - has been a strange few years.

I'll be honest - loved playing all the different course at great rates. I think most of us knew that , the top ones would go back up at some stage or close.

So is going to be a major adjustment for local Irish golfers, to start going up in green fees - substantially on some courses.

(not talking about Portmarnock Links here)
    But, It is a bit of a Bee in my Bonnet that some of the top links are very hard to play at a decent rate - you are stuck into the winter - no opens etc.
    You can play them , but very specific weeks and events, team events etc.

Another one - is opens for seniors only - Why , why and why again.
    It is a handicapped sport - most guys over 50 have more money than younger guys and get unreal deals in events, that you are barred from :confused:

Anyway - more expensive golf on the way on some courses.

But - Portmarnock Links is a brilliant course. As flat links courses go, it is one of my favourites on East Coast.

Fantastic mix of holes and I have found it very very hard in the past.

The rough is cut back a good bit, I could see that in still conditions it is a bit easier , I guess I know course better and am a bit of a better player now.

Had a 78 and wasn't putting great. So the course is manageable if you are good off the tee.

Many greens are hard to hold - and never a harm hitting that extra lofted club on many of the holes.

The greens sometimes look a bit off colour there - but the ball roles beautifully.

The one criticism is maybe the par 5s are a little on the easy side. The new green on 13 will improve this.
    The outward nine has many holes that are very straight and in a way similar - but the holes on the east side of course have great features , doglegs and deeper dunes.

So I seen it can be played today - in wind it would be another story .
    I love going away and playing the championship courses now and again.

But every day, as your real golf course , no thanks.

You would need to be very very good - have plenty of time and plenty of money.

So - I'll be a tourist still.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭dk1982

Does anyone know if the European Club will still have the Open Comps at the weekends this winter, and if so, what price and from what date does it start? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Said I'd really didn't like links but I keep wanting to go back to one. Played Corballis Friday and instead of putting me off for another year this time I want to play a bigger links ha.

I think I can go out now on an average day and play well enough to enjoy it.

Early this year I was a bit all over the place, didn't really have a miss just bad shots so I got into trouble real easy which I think was exaggerated on the tighter links. At the time it was just too punishing for me to enjoy it. Now I think I can play well enough ( or have good enough bad shots) to get some enjoyment out of it.

What link other than corballis doesn't cost the earth around dublin/louth etc could I play?

The brother will be coming so it can't be an open.

And on his first links he went around in 38pts in corballis off 17, likes his new sticks :pac:

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Said I'd really didn't like links but I keep wanting to go back to one. Played Corballis Friday and instead of putting me off for another year this time I want to play a bigger links ha.

I think I can go out now on an average day and play well enough to enjoy it.

Early this year I was a bit all over the place, didn't really have a miss just bad shots so I got into trouble real easy which I think was exaggerated on the tighter links. At the time it was just too punishing for me to enjoy it. Now I think I can play well enough ( or have good enough bad shots) to get some enjoyment out of it.

What link other than corballis doesn't cost the earth around dublin/louth etc could I play?

The brother will be coming so it can't be an open.

And on his first links he went around in 38pts in corballis off 17, likes his new sticks :pac:

Was very enjoyable Dan - thanks to you and your brother - who is a fine golfer.
    He will be a low golfer at some time. Fair play to you sticking it out , made of tough stuff.

We were blessed with great weather - everyone knows I love a round in Corballis , I know it is not a real golf course, but quick and the perfect introduction to links.

The views there are as good as anything.

The next step up in links are-

Two nice nine hole courses that are links are Rush and Sutton - these are on the easier side and short - but still real links in parts.

The next step ups are.

Arklow - About 25 , may get it a little cheaper
    Laytown - will get out for 30 euro
    St Annes - I'll get you out here cheap, but about 25 to 40.
    Seapoint - about 35 euro.

Of all them I would recommend Laytown the most (for you as near) - a great course.

After that group of links , things get a bit crazy to be honest. In fact they get outrageous.

So get a fire deal on one of the websites Golf Now or Tee times. Open would also be a little cheaper about 20 to 25 - some will do a deal for your brother.

To be honest - you couldn't go wrong with any of the 4 above , some people say Seapoint is not links enough, but sure that may make it more enjoyable for you starting out. A course a bit too far that I rate very highly in the same league is Rosslare.

But the best value , best links going, are North and West - but that is for another day

By the way if anyone wants to go up to Laytown let us know, would love another game there.

Also be very careful in winter - Links are very different in protecting courses at winter.
    Check if
    a) Temporary greens
    b) Are fairways in play
    b) Temp holes
    d) Shortened course

Get out soon I would say.

Was very enjoyable Dan - thanks to you and your brother - who is a fine golfer.
    He will be a low golfer at some time. Fair play to you sticking it out , made of tough stuff.

We ere blessed with great weather - everyone knows I love a round in Corballis , I know it is not a real golf course, but quick and the perfect introduction to links.

The views there are as good as anything.

The next step up in links are

two nice nine hole courses that are links are Rush and Sutton - these are on the easier side and short - but still real links in parts.

The next step ups are.

Arklow - About 25 , may get it a little cheaper
    Laytown - will get out for 30 euro
    St Annes - I'll get you out here cheap, but about 25 to 40.
    Seapoint - about 35 euro.

Of all them I would recommend Laytown the most (for you as near) - a great course.

After that group of links , things get a bit crazy to be honest. In fact they get outrageous.

SO get a fire deal on one of the websites Golf Now or Tee times. Open would also be a little cheaper about 20 to 25 - some will do a deal for your brother.

To be honest - you couldn't go wrong with any of the 4 above , some people say Seapoint is not links enough, but sure that may make it more enjoyable for you starting out. A course a bit too far that I rate very highly in the same league is Rosslare.

But the best value , best links going, are North and West - but that is for another day

By the way if anyone wants to go up to Laytown let us know, would love another game there.

Thanks for putting up with me, made it a very long round at times and I was regretting it in work this morning :(

His putting is usually better but he was playing quite well, on a good day we're even enough but lately he's been keeping ahead of me. He's playing alot better with the new clubs aswell.

The problem with Rush and Sutton are the big drive to play nine holes, that and I always feel like I didn't play much golf even if I go around twice on 9's. Odd but I can't help it

Love the look of Arklow,seapoint and St. Anne's. Drive past Laytown often, looks quite cramped ?

I usually check teetimes to see if I can get a deal so ill keep an eye on it.

Thanks for the reply, the offer and the game

Sorry Dan.

Also be very careful in winter - Links are very different in protecting courses at winter.
    Check if
    a) Temporary greens
    b) Are fairways in play
    b) Temp holes
    d) Shortened course

Get out soon I would say.

Something I didn't think of, dentist next week but I should be able to get out after that all things going well

Thanks for putting up with me, made it a very long round at times and I was regretting it in work this morning :(

His putting is usually better but he was playing quite well, on a good day we're even enough but lately he's been keeping ahead of me. He's playing alot better with the new clubs aswell.

The problem with Rush and Sutton are the big drive to play nine holes, that and I always feel like I didn't play much golf even if I go around twice on 9's. Odd but I can't help it

Love the look of Arklow,seapoint and St. Anne's. Drive past Laytown often, looks quite cramped ?

I usually check teetimes to see if I can get a deal so ill keep an eye on it.

Thanks for the reply, the offer and the game

To be honest dan - nothing is ever as cramped as Corballis , Laytown is a great intro to the next step.

The 4 - 18 hole courses above are very very similar- they are basically flat links courses - I would rather have been introduced to links on the flat links first - because if you play a big championship links and love Links golf, it can be hard to fall in love with flat links courses.

But with time , the flat courses have grown on me. I see a charm to them now, the wind is even more of a hazard and you can be clever with drains and many of them are very good with bunker protection.

Another practical reality of the flat links courses is the speed of play and they are easier - being easier for just going for your normal game of golf makes sense.

The championship links courses in Ireland with big dunes are a joy - but torture , a hard walk , and bloody hard courses. Even finding your ball is not pleasant if you are not hitting it very straight and know course well.

I've often considered joining a big links, but the more I play them , the more I see how they are not really places you run down play 6 and head home in an hour.

Anyway _ I digress - hit one of the 4 above. I'll pm you if something comes up.

• Advertisement

To be honest dan - nothing is ever as cramped as Corballis , Laytown is a great intro to the next step.

The 4 - 18 hole courses above are very very similar- they are basically flat links courses - I would rather have been introduced to links on the flat links first - because if you play a big championship links and love Links golf, it can be hard to fall in love with flat links courses.

But with time , the flat courses have grown on me. I see a charm to them now, the wind is even more of a hazard and you can be clever with drains and many of them are very good with bunker protection.

Another practical reality of the flat links courses is the speed of play and they are easier - being easier for just going for your normal game of golf makes sense.

The championship links courses in Ireland with big dunes are a joy - but torture , a hard walk , and bloody hard courses. Even finding your ball is not pleasant if you are not hitting it very straight and know course well.

I've often considered joining a big links, but the more I play them , the more I see how they are not really places you run down play 6 and head home in an hour.

Anyway _ I digress - hit one of the 4 above. I'll pm you if something comes up.
    Thats something I'll have to find out, so far I've only played Corballis and Portmarnock Links in the outing. Would Portmarnock be be considered flat?

Ah, we have plenty of hills in parkland :pac:

Portmarnock Links is a brilliant course, in that it has a brilliant mix of Links golf holes.
    It is on the flat side for 75 % of the course - but uses the Dunes on the east side (sea front side) , with Germanically (not VW) like efficiency.

So yes - It is flat - it doesn't have the dramatic holes over or in dunnes.

The 3rd hole in corballis would be typical of the big dune courses - also the 5th.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQSgg1XuDJEEhT2L5YIZH7AyZ2CGvVyu2lyx2OK1lOFXNy7Ip8L

The only courses on the east coast with big dunes are

The Island

filename-18-001-jpg-thumbnail0.jpg

The European Club in parts

EUROPEAN_CLUB_11th_lr.jpg

The courses with bigger dunes are few on the east coast - in fact you have to go all the way to Royal County Down and North to get them.

RCD1.jpg

By big dunes I mean this in Enniscrone.

IMG_1517.jpg

Or this is Carne

CarneGC16a.jpg

Look - as someone said on here before, no two links are the same, in theory they are randomly shaped by time.

So you sort of have to play them all many many times, I only get to know a links after, about 20 games on it. Maybe more.

So - hit Laytown dan , and forget all that other stuff (lol)

I'll get round to it at some point, hopefully soon.

I liked portmarnock ( in retrospect at least ha) so thats good.

Right, i'll go play some more ha

• Registered Users Posts: 21,180 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Pretty amazing footage of Carne

https://vimeo.com/141978165?outro=1

PARlance wrote: »
    Pretty amazing footage of Carne

https://vimeo.com/141978165?outro=1
    Thats how you sell someone on the idea of links golf

Will go back. If invited at some stag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Thats something I'll have to find out, so far I've only played Corballis and Portmarnock Links in the outing. Would Portmarnock be be considered flat?

Ah, we have plenty of hills in parkland :pac:

On links, I find, it's not the hills that make them special - it's the contours.

Portmarnock is flat, Laytown/Bettystown is flat relative to a lot of parkland courses but the fairways are contoured by nature (and feckin' rabbits:mad:) and that can make all the difference. Wind, rain (and water runoff) often dictate why a particular fairway is shaped the way it is.

10838087_1054016521295527_4202473465933422872_o.jpg

Put it this way, if I slap a good drive down the middle of any decent parkland course fairway I'm pretty much guaranteed a decent lie when I get to the ball - on a links the same drive could end up on a slight up or down slope; on top of a low rise; in the bottom of low hollow; slightly above your feet or slightly below your feet; or it could end up just right. It can be a bit of a lottery and some people think that's a bit unfair, but it's one of the reasons I like links golf.

Just as an aside, I once asked in a links club I was visiting "Who designed the course?" the reply came back "God. We just polished it a bit."

Played the 9 hole in Rush today - was on my mind from talking about it on here and realised that it was about 10 years since I was there and only in society golf at time, was rubbish at golf too.

When you get there , everything is tiny , the clubhouse , the holes, the car park, the course.

Interesting to see something on such a small scale , when you think how big everything was designed in last 20 years.

First tee you have fantastic views across the beach - I spent many years out in Rush as a child - but hardly knew there was a golf club there at all.

It is very hidden away from everything down tiny roads and squeezed between glasshouses and the beach. Glasshouses are a very uncomfortable neighbour for a golf course.

The course has reminders in it, of Sutton - Arklow and Rosslare - the place is incredibly green for November and amazing (too much) growth everywhere, geens too.

It looks like the course has problems with the greens - there are many repairs and they are very long and perhaps this is for winter reasons. So I won't be too harsh consider time of year - but they were way too slow. They were also more like parkland greens than Links.

The first and second are nice holes - First a nice elevated tee box - where you have a nice landing area below - that with conditions right, you could go for green - seems a strange start to have a reachable par 4 at 1st.

2nd would be a hard hole to judge club to an elevated green with a head wind. Hard hole.

3rd is an uncomfortable dog leg squeezed into a corner with OB left. It would be reachable with 2 good hits.

4th another slight dogleg right, with a classical elevated links green , where it is all in the club

On the 5th I changed to the back tees (the back nine tees) . They have 2 sets of tees - for a front and back nine. I decided to add a bit of length as it is definitely too short from some of the front tees,

5th a longer par 4 with well place bunkers and all in the drive. Straightforward enough hole.

6th - A brilliant par 3 at 205 yards, everything you got with a low iron.

7th - nice par 4, a drop from an elevated tee to an elevated green - with a dangerous drop off left.

8th - Another excellent par 3 from a very elevated tee - where you have to hit your iron perfect distance.

9th - a very short and reachable par 4.

So had great weather and enjoyed it very much - but I know I mark links golf easy , but genuinely love any sort of links land with golf holes on it. I can't explain it.

The course would be too easy for a bigger hitter, for my approach shots I had a pitch , an 8 iron, a S/W a 9 iron a G/W a P/W a S/W.

So it would be brilliant for winter golf , for older golfers, younger golfers and a gentle introduction to Links golf.

Was thinking about the logistics of busy events there and trying to play 18 when the first group come around to the 10th - obviously they manage it somehow - but must be crazy at times.

Anyway - was an interesting little side step, just have to get Royal Dublin still on east - amazing , one of the nearest and haven't played it yet - but will, I think from walking it, I will like Royal Dublin - even if most people don't talk glowingly about it. - But I'm too easy when it comes to Links.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

Played the 9 hole in Rush today - was on my mind from talking about it on here and realised that it was about 10 years since I was there and only in society golf at time, was rubbish at golf too.

When you get there , everything is tiny , the clubhouse , the holes, the car park, the course.

Interesting to see something on such a small scale , when you think how big everything was designed in last 20 years.

First tee you have fantastic views across the beach - I spent many years out in Rush as a child - but hardly knew there was a golf club there at all.

It is very hidden away from everything down tiny roads and squeezed between glasshouses and the beach. Glasshouses are a very uncomfortable neighbour for a golf course.

The course has reminders in it, of Sutton - Arklow and Rosslare - the place is incredibly green for November and amazing (too much) growth everywhere, geens too.

It looks like the course has problems with the greens - there are many repairs and they are very long and perhaps this is for winter reasons. So I won't be too harsh consider time of year - but they were way too slow. They were also more like parkland greens than Links.

The first and second are nice holes - First a nice elevated tee box - where you have a nice landing area below - that with conditions right, you could go for green - seems a strange start to have a reachable par 4 at 1st.

2nd would be a hard hole to judge club to an elevated green with a head wind. Hard hole.

3rd is an uncomfortable dog leg squeezed into a corner with OB left. It would be reachable with 2 good hits.

4th another slight dogleg right, with a classical elevated links green , where it is all in the club

On the 5th I changed to the back tees (the back nine tees) . They have 2 sets of tees - for a front and back nine. I decided to add a bit of length as it is definitely too short from some of the front tees,

5th a longer par 4 with well place bunkers and all in the drive. Straightforward enough hole.

6th - A brilliant par 3 at 205 yards, everything you got with a low iron.

7th - nice par 4 to an elevated tee - with a dangerous drop off left.

8th - Another excellent par 3 from a very elevated tee - where you have to hit your iron perfect distance.

9th - a very short and reachable par 4.

So had great weather and enjoyed it very much - but I know I mark links golf easy , but genuinely love any sort of links land with golf holes on it. I can't explain it.

The course would be too easy for a bigger hitter, for my approach shots I had a pitch , an 8 iron, a S/W a 9 iron a G/W a P/W a S/W.

So it would be brilliant for winter golf , for older golfers, younger golfers and a gentle introduction to Links golf.

Was thinking about the logistics of busy events there and trying to play 18 when the first group come around to the 10th - obviously they manage it somehow - but must be crazy at times.

Anyway - was an interesting little side step, just have to get Royal Dublin still on east - amazing , one of the nearest and haven't played it yet - but will, I think from walking it, I will like Royal Dublin - even if most people don't talk glowingly about it. - But I'm too easy when it comes to Links.

Played an away inter club match there a few years back with e.r. (From here on boards)- we won on the 18th with a great putt from e.r. - if I remember correctly!
    Loved the 9th/18th par 3- two different tee boxes for same green- a bit mad.

The 2nd is a bloody tough hole.

The members we were playing said yeah it can get mental for a strokes comp with a shared 9 holes- but it's theirs and they love the course/club/"family".

Had a meal after the match and you could really tell the club had a great spirit/atmosphere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

See st. Anne's are having opens thru the winter, they hope to have them as qualifying. Will be a nice change from placing.

Advertisement