Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

mike12 wrote: »
    See st. Anne's are having opens thru the winter, they hope to have them as qualifying. Will be a nice change from placing.
    What makes you think there won't be placing?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,180 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

mike12 wrote: »
    See st. Anne's are having opens thru the winter, they hope to have them as qualifying. Will be a nice change from placing.

Am a member there Mike, happy to have you out if you're thinking about it.

They're hoping that it'll be qualifying all year. They've invested a lot in the course over the last few years and it seems to be paying off.

What makes you think there won't be placing?

It can be qualifying if there's placing (on the fairways only). Most links should be qualifying all year round imo, unless they're premium courses and they want to bring in mats to help it recovery for the summer $$$'s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

PARlance wrote: »
    Am a member there Mike, happy to have you out if you're thinking about it.

They're hoping that it'll be qualifying all year. They've invested a lot in the course over the last few years and it seems to be paying off.

Have booked a 4ball already, thanks.

Heard you the first time Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Everything you love and tortures you about Links golf was on display today in Corballis. Lovely weather - but;

Wind - a strong one from the North and then shifting to from the sea at times - very very difficult.

Was helping at times - but made holding greens when behind very hard. You ended up hitting high lofted clubs ,but these carried miles, and typically bounced hard and ran out far.

Played with dar - and felt an imposter playing with him for the first time ever, having a lower handicap, as he is a real golfer. :)

To explain how tricky it was - 11 was a hybrid out of the screws, should be a 6 iron -was a 4 club wind at times.

11 - we both hit 4 irons very well and a punched 9 iron and got our best birdies of the year each.

13 - first time I walked away saying - they just need to rebuild that green , isn't golf. Basically a 4/5 putt is on. If you stay on the green , - one of the few holes in golf you can avoid a 3 putt with a chip in the middle.

Dar had 32 pts with brilliant golf - just didn't make that many he normally makes, imagine it could be in buffer.

I played ok (30 pts), but was pulling the ball and had a bad bad shank that killed me a little inside.

At best I could have got 33/34.

Will be interesting to see what wins.

At least our handicap reversal should be fixed soon. Nothing like Corballis for a 0.1.

Anyway - loved today , and our Birds on 11 are the reason you come back , to what is a different game , to normal golf.

Greens stunning and will be amazing, if not too quick, in a few weeks.

Divots still a disaster, we didn't know there was placing.

So - going to stick at it there again , till I get 36 + , it normally fixes my head and game out there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Sounds pretty similar to the way it was yesterday morning, teed off at 8 and bright but windy, first time to play there and really enjoyed it, lots of divots at what looks like the usual places. Going great until the par 5 when I pulled my approach into the practice area for an OOB but kept it tight until the 17 where I came just short (pin in brutal front position) and my chip on (no familiar with green) went through the back right and my next chip on went off front right into that huge dip in the green, ended up with a 6 for a full round 14 over so delighted with that.
    Re the wind I drove 196yds into it on 15 and 255yds with it behind me on 16 so that will tell you how it was blowing.
    Great course, immense value and never noticed all the par 3's really.
    2-7 as dune infested as anywhere...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    Sounds pretty similar to the way it was yesterday morning, teed off at 8 and bright but windy, first time to play there and really enjoyed it, lots of divots at what looks like the usual places. Going great until the par 5 when I pulled my approach into the practice area for an OOB but kept it tight until the 17 where I came just short (pin in brutal front position) and my chip on (no familiar with green) went through the back right and my next chip on went off front right into that huge dip in the green, ended up with a 6 for a full round 14 over so delighted with that.
    Re the wind I drove 196yds into it on 15 and 255yds with it behind me on 16 so that will tell you how it was blowing.
    Great course, immense value and never noticed all the par 3's really.
    2-7 as dune infested as anywhere...

Great going first time out.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Everything you love and tortures you about Links golf was on display today in Corballis. Lovely weather - but;

Wind - a strong one from the North and then shifting to from the sea at times - very very difficult.

Was helping at times - but made holding greens when behind very hard. You ended up hitting high lofted clubs ,but these carried miles, and typically bounced hard and ran out far.

Played with dar - and felt an imposter playing with him for the first time ever, having a lower handicap, as he is a real golfer. :)

To explain how tricky it was - 11 was a hybrid out of the screws, should be a 6 iron -was a 4 club wind at times.

11 - we both hit 4 irons very well and a punched 9 iron and got our best birdies of the year each.

13 - first time I walked away saying - they just need to rebuild that green , isn't golf. Basically a 4/5 putt is on. If you stay on the green , - one of the few holes in golf you can avoid a 3 putt with a chip in the middle.

Dar had 32 pts with brilliant golf - just didn't make that many he normally makes, imagine it could be in buffer.

I played ok (30 pts), but was pulling the ball and had a bad bad shank that killed me a little inside.

At least our handicap reversal should be fixed soon. Nothing like Corballis for a 0.1.

Anyway - loved today , and our Birds on 11 are the reason you come back , to what is a different game , to normal golf.

So - going to stick at it there again , till I get 36 + , it normally fixes my head and game out there.

Another great post, Fix. Enjoyed the read. It's like watching reality golf.... now there's an idea. 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Was really enjoyable round, I love playing out in corballis in a strong wind,
    That bogey after the shank on 7 was unreal. One of the best bogeys I've ever seen. Birdies on 11 were super considering its the longest I've ever played that hole. Hitting a 4 iron off that tee when its normally a tap of a 7/8 iron. Your birdie on 10 was super. Drilled hybrid 180 yards which was playing probably 210/215. Can't wait to go back!!

• Advertisement

Looking at Royal Troon this morning - I think it was seeing golf so early in such perfect conditions got me.

It is what we are use to, if we like our links and early rounds.

This course is very green and I know some links players wouldn't like that - but I think it actually makes the course look way better on tv - you can see the definition of the rough, the mounds, the sea, the gorse and trees far clearer.

Dying to get over to Scotland now - has anyone played a few over there

And what was the best.

I think I got a rare view of good conditions and perhaps too rare there ?

Been on holidays for a while so rusty, gonna shake off that rust at Connemara Links Sunday, looking forward to 27 holes of links, please let the weather cooperate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭paulos53

My only experience of Scottish links is 3 courses in St Andrews through their winter package. I would highly recommend it
    You are taking a gamble with the weather but that is true all year round

Back from playing RCD off medal tees today. Boy what a test. My favourite course. Every hole is different and a pure test of golf. Love it!!

dar_cool wrote: »
    Back from playing RCD off medal tees today. Boy what a test. My favourite course. Every hole is different and a pure test of golf. Love it!!

Unreal course.

Back sticks is just madness.

Breaking 90 would be a decent score from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Looking at Royal Troon this morning - I think it was seeing golf so early in such perfect conditions got me.

It is what we are use to, if we like our links and early rounds.

This course is very green and I know some links players wouldn't like that - but I think it actually makes the course look way better on tv - you can see the definition of the rough, the mounds, the sea, the gorse and trees far clearer.

And what was the best.

I think I got a rare view of good conditions and perhaps too rare there ?

When I lived in the UK I played in Scotland a few times. Played St Andrew's once when we got drawn in the ballot. Back then I think it was 24 hrs notice, it's 48 now. So if you were travelling in that direction you could put your name down, hope to get drawn, but have a back up plan in place.

We played entirely on the east coast when we went, mostly because we were travelling up the A1.

I loved North Berwick - especially the 2nd if the tide is in. You've also got Glen nearby (played it once, nice, but not amazingly special)

We played Musselburgh Links (9 holes) which is reputed to be the oldest course still playing - that's maybe the only reason for playing it. We also played Royal Musselburgh one year but it's not a links.

If you dip down south a bit into England - Goswick at Berwick-upon-Tweed is another gem.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭BOB81

Have been over to Scotland twice and were based in st Andrews both times (there's a group of lads I know who go over at the end of march each year). Played the old course, the new course and the jubilee as well as one of the courses at crail and another course up the road called elie (odd little course has a periscope on the first tee box as the drive is completely blind).

Old course is class but at that time of the year (March) from the fairways you have to play off a mat (little rectangular piece of astro turf that you carry around with you) which takes some getting used to - but well worth it I think. Some buzz on the first tee on the old course! Best scores from the group that go are usually on the old course - new and jubilee courses are much tighter and tougher

Thanks lads . Great info.

I would have no interest in playing off mats ever.

Enough great links golf out there in with winter without ever doing that.

IMAG0884_zpsg0r7djum.jpg
    IMAG0882_zps483xfkgm.jpg
    European club on a gorgeous evening, fairways baked brown, ball running a mile. Heaven!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 keanecm

There are lots of excellent hidden gems in Scotland outside the well known "Open Championship" courses. Ive been there a couple of times and played in the St Andrews area and also the Edinburgh Coast area. Some I would certainly recommend are:

Gullane (Courses 1and 2) - the Scottish Open was played there last year and was a composite of the two courses

Dunbar

Crail (Balcomie Course)

Luffness

St Andrews New course

I love playing links and am a member of the Island, but playing links in Scotland has a different almost magical feel, for example, a lot of the links courses the first tee and 18th green are in the middle of the town (Old course at st andrews, Gullane 1 and 2, North Berwick) and this adds to the aura especially when your not used to it. You can probably tell but Im a big fan of Scottish links and the reception by the clubs is always very welcoming. Heading over again for 5 days at the end of August and cant wait.

• Advertisement

A recent acquisition to the book collection.....

51A1NHDPWXL._SX344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Dar - is that an open on down there at this time ?

Dar - is that an open on down there at this time ?

No Pat, we had vouchers from our wins down there earlier on in the year, opens start next month, course in excellent condition!!

Great day in Connemara at the weekend, very misty so hard to get good panoramic shots, visibility very poor at times...

CnzSLyBWIAARvkd.jpg

CnzSMwZWcAATWEF.jpg

CnzSNr3WEAEd6zl.jpg

Great photos lads.

Played Laytown and Bettystown Golf Club again today.

Very interesting place - real flash back to how some of the old links were, short - tight and like in Scotland actually in the town. The course was established in 1909 - so a real old one. Very friendly atmosphere there.

I've played it before - and the opening holes are very interesting using every dune on the coast possible.

There is no real need for Driver till the par 5 - 4th and this offers a chance to hit a big one with links run - then only a short iron to a par 5 green is always a rare treat.

On the front nine there are a good few holes that you could call - crazy/eccentric . You are coming from a height to a fairway below and then up to the same height. For a short course it is a long walk.
    I walked 12.3 km. Was wrecked after it. Well didn't have a lunch and played at an odd time. In real wind, I'd say the place is a nightmare.

There are a couple of holes you need to have played before - 2 -3 - 9 on the front. The ninth is an unusual hole as it is a blind par 3. The tenth is perplexing touching on unfair. It is a course you should just hit to where you can see.

Then you turn for home on flat straight holes into the wind. Again - tough going. A bit dull to be honest at that point.

Couple of good holes again from 14 to 17.

18 is another funny hole - reachable with two great hits , but a bit daft to have a blind 18 with maybe a 4 iron in hand. You have an option of a lay up to another blind shot. I'd say it has ruined many a card and a day.

I like odd courses - and in theory I should and would and do like Laytown.

But theory is one thing. The greens are in poor condition for this time of year. At 45 quid it is a bit steep and I wouldn't pay that again.

I've still only one links to go on the east - Royal Dublin.

Donegal is stuck in a part of my head now - and once the seed is in there - there is no escape.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dwd

Donegal is stuck in a part of my head now - and once the seed is in there - there is no escape.

So many great courses, I would recommend doing the north and south of the county separately. In the north you've got Ballyliffen (2 courses), Rosapenna (2 1/2 courses), and Port Salon are a great set of courses and there's a ferry between Rathmullan and Buncrana at this time of year which can save a good bit of driving around Lough Swilly on the trip from Port Salon to Ballyliffen. And down the south of the county you've got Narin & Portnoo, Donegal, and Cruit Island which is supposed to be a great 9 hole course.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭golfer555

And tip down the road from Murvagh and you've Rosses Point and Standhill. The choices are endless. With the rough up on these links make sure to be accurate or you'll lose quite a few balls!

Great photos lads.

Played Laytown and Bettystown Golf Club again today.

Very interesting place - real flash back to how some of the old links were, short - tight and like in Scotland actually in the town. The course was established in 1909 - so a real old one. Very friendly atmosphere there.

A good track, but I'm biased ;)

There was some experimentation with changing the order of the holes to create 2 loops of 9, but they've now reverted to the traditional links layout of 9 out and 9 back.

It is tight, I think at it's widest it's only about 400m wide and in that space you sometimes have 5 fairways running side-by-side. The result is that quite often the driver doesn't get to see much action.

The greens are improving - there's a major effort being put into restoring them to traditional links greens by getting rid of the rye and meadow grasses and promoting the bents and fescues. So lots of complaints early in the year because of the amount (and 'violence') of poleforking that took place (with more to come in September) - followed a few weeks ago by lots of complaints about how fast they were getting!! So some progress with hopefully more to come in the next few years.

Obviously you hit it straight, as you don't seem to have any issues about the rough, about which there have been comments, complaints etc over the last few months. Again a lot of work has gone into making it more like links rough and they have succeeded!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Cody OHare

dwd wrote: »

So many great courses, I would recommend doing the north and south of the county separately. In the north you've got Ballyliffen (2 courses), Rosapenna (2 1/2 courses), and Port Salon are a great set of courses and there's a ferry between Rathmullan and Buncrana at this time of year which can save a good bit of driving around Lough Swilly on the trip from Port Salon to Ballyliffen. And down the south of the county you've got Narin & Portnoo, Donegal, and Cruit Island which is supposed to be a great 9 hole course.

Played Cruit Island on Friday. A really interesting course. Certainly not a patch on the big beasts of Rosapenna or Ballyliffen but really enjoyable. Forget the score on the front 9. There are so many totally and partially blind shots that you haven't a hope. When you replay the same holes on the back nine its a lot better. But in truth you play it for the views. Quite stunning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Donegal is super.
    Have played ballyliffin, rospenna, nairn, donegal so a few more to do.
    My problem is that I can't get away from going back to play the same courses each year.
    Last year the ACC the scratch cups in Ballyb and Tralee plus the great north links ballyliffin portrush and portstewart same this year.
    I would be happy playing just those courses for the rest of my life.
    Any hear when the open week is on in RCD not able to find anything on Google.

Advertisement