Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Open week in RCD is with Mourne Golf Club, it is attached to RCD and has playing rights, It was on from 11th July to the 15th July. It does be on the same time every year. We played on the 14th and the course was in super condition for 50 sterling.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

mike12 wrote: »
    Donegal is super.
    Have played ballyliffin, rospenna, nairn, donegal so a few more to do.

:) Loved Narin, Donegal was class but greens were poor when we were there earlier this year, so I'll need to try that again;)

Heading up this weekend again, so will play either one OTM Rosapenna or Portsalon on Friday, any help deciding?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Playing Enniscrone, Murvagh and Narin this weekend. Weather so far looking decent!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Cody OHare

martinkop wrote: »
    mike12 wrote: »
    Donegal is super.
    Have played ballyliffin, rospenna, nairn, donegal so a few more to do.

:) Loved Narin, Donegal was class but greens were poor when we were there earlier this year, so I'll need to try that again;)

Heading up this weekend again, so will play either one OTM Rosapenna or Portsalon on Friday, any help deciding?:D
    Played both Rosapenna courses and PS last week. All great courses and all in good condition. I'd rank them, Sandy Hills, Old Tom Morris and then Portsalon. Plus it would be hard to find a finer view than the terrace of the Rosapenna Club House. If you are playing Sandy Hills, bring your A game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Cody OHare wrote: »
    Played both Rosapenna courses and PS last week. All great courses and all in good condition. I'd rank them, Sandy Hills, Old Tom Morris and then Portsalon. Plus it would be hard to find a finer view than the terrace of the Rosapenna Club House. If you are playing Sandy Hills, bring your A game.

Sandy hills maybe the toughest links I have played you can see the Ruddy stamp all over it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Days holidays booked and off to Baltray and Seapoint tomorrow for 36holes in the sunshine, whoo hoo

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

Will be playing Rosses Point, Carne and Enniscrone next month. Any advice apart from "straight is good"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

idle wrote: »
    Will be playing Rosses Point, Carne and Enniscrone next month. Any advice apart from "straight is good"?

If it's windy do not try to swing it harder to counteract the wind. You're fighting a battle that you will lose. As Gary Player says 'when it's breezy swing it easy'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

idle wrote: »

Carne is a course more than any other where you need to hit the shot you "should hit" rather than the one you "want to hit".
    Put the driver away unless you can see where you are hitting and you are hitting it well. Don't be afraid to take irons off tees for position.

It really is a course you need to respect or it will be a long frustrating day as there are a lot of blind shots and offline shots mean a lot of time looking for balls and not usually finding them.

The other two are more out in front of you

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Played the extra 12 holes in Rosslare today.

Fantastic little track. But sadly a little unfinished and suffering the life of the secondary course syndrome.

Sort of unloved for the others feel to it .

Great links holes on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭The Premier Man

What are lads views of laytown and bettystown links?considering playing the 36 hole junior scratch there monday

What are lads views of laytown and bettystown links?considering playing the 36 hole junior scratch there monday

It's a fine course with great holes. You'd have to be into your links.

Probably like Arklow with a few Corballis holes in the mix.

The greens not great at present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Course flyover

Just in the door from Baltray and Seapoint, Seapoint very overrated as a links course IMHO, apart from the final 3 holes is it truly a links course?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Would anyone have any course tips for enniscrone? Playing it this wknd for the first time and can't find any guides or pro tips for it.

Cheers

Baltray and Seapoint

CoZItaGWcAEWnEg.jpg

CoZIvsDXgAAQPjI.jpg

CoZIcP4XgAArz__.jpg

CoZIddHWAAE-h8Q.jpg

CoZIe0nWAAAKc4q.jpg

Would anyone have any course tips for enniscrone? Playing it this wknd for the first time and can't find any guides or pro tips for it.

Cheers

Few blind looking shots just hit it where u can see it enjoy

slave1 wrote: »
    Just in the door from Baltray and Seapoint, Seapoint very overrated as a links course IMHO, apart from the final 3 holes is it truly a links course?

Don't think it was ever rated that highly it's a solid golf course, it's linksy enough just to pass think the trees around the course makes it feel a bit like a parkland but the turf and bunkers are links like to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Playing the open comp in Ballybunion tomorrow. (one of only 2 in the year)
    Forecast is sh1te but I couldn't care less, best links in the country IMO, and I can't wait to give it a rattle again..

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Playing the open comp in Ballybunion tomorrow. (one of only 2 in the year)
    Forecast is sh1te but I couldn't care less, best links in the country IMO, and I can't wait to give it a rattle again..

Hasn't a patch on RCD in my opinion. Expect greens to be crazy slow. Only laid them start of the summer.

• Advertisement

IMAG0939_zpszoecerko.jpg
    Played Corballis this evening in a 3/4 club windy. Crazy how difficult that place is in a breeze. 1St hole 145 yards. Hit a 4 iron and scraped onto the green. Love it though. Proper golf

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

Portsalon last Friday. Looking back over the 11th and 12th

Played Rosses Point today, was borderline unplayable, wind moving ball on tee and green, we even had to angle the trolleys else the wind would move them off, what a test, played some great shots for my ability and 25 points, ha ha, worst scoring round in recent memory, love the 14th and 17th

CpWOT5YVMAAd2Ta.jpg

CpWOVNBVIAEGTL7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

slave1 wrote: »
    Played Rosses Point today, was borderline unplayable, wind moving ball on tee and green, we even had to angle the trolleys else the wind would move them off, what a test, played some great shots for my ability and 25 points, ha ha, worst scoring round in recent memory, love the 14th and 17th

25 wasn't bad: I think 31pts won...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Played Laytown Bettystown today in a very strong breeze. Very tough going especially when I didn't know the course. I hit the ball well most of the time but torture trying to avoid hooks and slices as well as trying to stop the ball on hard greens.
    Course would remind you of Corballis especially at the start. Riddled with rabbit holes but otherwise fine.
    Enjoyed the game but confirmed my decision to move to parkland golf was the correct one for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Played Rosslare last week, got out late in the evening and it was just perfect.

A very nice course in great condition. The 7th hole is a par 5 that could grace any top links. Bit of a weak finish but overall an enjoyable course

J

Played Rosslare last week, got out late in the evening and it was just perfect.

A very nice course in great condition. The 7th hole is a par 5 that could grace any top links. Bit of a weak finish but overall an enjoyable course

J

I love Rosslare.

Greens were poor on secondary course when I was there. How were greens J ?

Secondary course - is it The burrow is a class little practice spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Greens were for the most part very good. Green on 18 was poor, more like parkland. But it's very shaded there

• Advertisement

Time to bump this thread, played Murvagh yesterday, place was packed, 5.5hrs, I was waning by the end, 12 hours there and back again, long day

CrktOtkWIAApMyC.jpg
    CrktPvIW8AAmLnS.jpg
    CrktQvCWAAAjUjk.jpg

Par 3 5th the best hole IMHO

Advertisement