Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Played Tralee weekend before last. Absolutely stunning. What a course.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

After being around the area a lot over the last few yeas, am eventually getting to play Enniscrone on Saturday with Athlone99, can't wait. Haven't hit a ball in weeks, will have to bring plenty of balls!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

charlieIRL wrote: »
    After being around the area a lot over the last few yeas, am eventually getting to play Enniscrone on Saturday with Athlone99, can't wait. Haven't hit a ball in weeks, will have to bring plenty of balls!!!

Ah great course...you'll love it.
    I would play conservatively for the first while.
    Once you hit 5 you can see what is in front of you more but for 1, 2 and 4 I'd be leaving driver in the bag. A solid start should give you a good footing to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Macker1

Its actually not too bad as long as you keep it relatively straight. Really enjoyable test of golf.

Have fun..........

Now where would the fun be in golf if you could hit it straight all the time?!!!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Next year I'm making it my mission to get out and play some of the courses mentioned here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Only 35 more sleeps to Portrush, Portstewart and ballyliffin.
    Need to get a bit of links golf in before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

mike12 wrote: »

I played that tourney a couple of years ago, its an absolute cracker. you'll have a ball

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

mike12 wrote: »

What is that event called again Mike.

Great North links challenge, it's out 4th year and it never disappoints.
    The price went up this year to 210.
    But I guess that is because they announced that the courses are hosting the open and Irish open.

• Advertisement

alxmorgan wrote: »
    Ah great course...you'll love it.
    I would play conservatively for the first while.
    Once you hit 5 you can see what is in front of you more but for 1, 2 and 4 I'd be leaving driver in the bag. A solid start should give you a good footing to start with.

Lads, what a course, absolutely fantastic. I would rate it as one of the best I've ever played.
    Conservative is the way to go when you've never played there before. We bought a stroke saver in the clubhouse but lost it between the 2nd and 3rd hole so played the course basically blind!!:D
    I used my 3 wood all day - only took out the driver one one hole to hit a second ball (course was very quiet behind us) and it went left, ball lost. With my 3 wood I hit most fairways but it left some tight tricky shots into greens. Wasn't really keeping a score as i was enjoying it so much but only had 2 scratches and 2 doubles, rest were pars and bogies off the yellow tees. Almost had 2 chip in's - one landing the width of a ball from the hole!!

Most definitely not a place to bring a society unless they are all low handicap players but a course i would most definitely recommend you play, and play it again to really enjoy it!!!

396887.jpg
    396888.jpg
    396889.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Lads, what a course, absolutely fantastic. I would rate it as one of the best I've ever played.
    Conservative is the way to go when you've never played there before. We bought a stroke saver in the clubhouse but lost it between the 2nd and 3rd hole so played the course basically blind!!:D
    I used my 3 wood all day - only took out the driver one one hole to hit a second ball (course was very quiet behind us) and it went left, ball lost. With my 3 wood I hit most fairways but it left some tight tricky shots into greens. Wasn't really keeping a score as i was enjoying it so much but only had 2 scratches and 2 doubles, rest were pars and bogies off the yellow tees. Almost had 2 chip in's - one landing the width of a ball from the hole!!

Most definitely not a place to bring a society unless they are all low handicap players but a course i would most definitely recommend you play, and play it again to really enjoy it!!!

Which gem is this again ? Looks fantastic

mjsc1970 wrote: »
    Which gem is this again ? Looks fantastic

Enniscrone.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Played Ardglass yesterday, wow, just wow, will throw some pics up later

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

CsOJ-zpUsAANdAh.jpg
    CsOKADxVYAAilYx.jpg
    CsOKBEYUAAEzSpz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

My company has an outing in The Island on Friday, I decided to give it a miss for that reason, it's going to be utter carnage I reckon.

Lovely photos anyway the course looks stunning.

My company has an outing in The Island on Friday, I decided to give it a miss for that reason, it's going to be utter carnage I reckon.

Will be carnage - but not sure I would ever give The Island a miss.

over 30 points would be a stunning score but - I'm always stunned at Society Outings :D:P

Great photos lads

I've said it enough - but love Enniscrone past words.

Next few months - Links the place to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Will be carnage - but not sure I would ever give The Island a miss.

I agree with Fix - The Island is not something to be missed and only has one seriously blind shot (5th tee). It won't beat you up like Enniscrone would.

Perhaps these photos will change your mind: The Island

And if you do go... don't hit driver on the par four 8th... you might need to save it till the par three 13th!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Friday is supposed to be a nice day weather wise, and off the forward tees the course is gentle enough. I think you'd be mad to give it a miss.

• Advertisement

Apologies, but are you nuts passing up an opportunity to play The Island?!!!! :confused:

I wouldn't care how long or bad I was playing, I'd just love to experience it.

And don't ever be put off a course by someone else, I play off 17.6 and loved every minute of Enniscrone but, like any tight course, accuracy is key. I've posted before, jokingly, that where would the fun be in golf if you hit it straight all the time............it helps though!!!:D

Cant understand the comments re The Island, okay from memory a tough par 3, 13th I think and a very tight 14th fairway but this is no European or Lahinch etc that will beat you up, do not pass on an opportunity to play it, think I had 30+pts playing it blind off the whites last year

5am rise for me in the morning, should be crossing the dunes of Enniscrone before 8, forecast looks lovely :), played it before but it must be 16years so have forgotten every hole so all new again

slave1 wrote: »
    5am rise for me in the morning, should be crossing the dunes of Enniscrone before 8, forecast looks lovely :), played it before but it must be 16years so have forgotten every hole so all new again

I could play that course every day of my life.

And often do when stuck in traffic in Dublin.

What a horrible place to be...

CtsFBDaWEAACpAa.jpg
    CtsFEOwWgAAlKQ6.jpg
    CtsFCrXWgAA4sU2.jpg

Playing Co Louth this week

Can't wait, about 4 years since I was there.

Would love to break 80, but not sure realistic the way I'm playing.

If you like your links - go full screen on this and watch.

I was almost drooling thinking about it. Much better on their site versus you tube.

http://countylouthgolfclub.com/gallery-videos.html

Just back from the great north links. 3 super courses portstuart is going to be looking super for the Irish open next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

17th in Seaoint yesterday. Cracking course some really nice holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

That's the par 3 17th!

16/17/18 are a lovely little finish along the coast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

redzerdrog wrote: »
    That's the par 3 17th!

16/17/18 are a lovely little finish along the coast

To be fair that finish is quite nice. 14th onwards are some really nice golf holes. Used to play there quite a bit but they've put prices up so havn't gone back as of yet!

Advertisement