Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

That your ball at pin

Kieran?. Great shot whoever got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

That your ball at pin

Kieran?. Great shot whoever got it.

That's the closest to the pin marker in the pic from the group in front at about 18ft I'm on the left edge pin high 12ft 😀

You know you face serious competition for Links courses in Ireland when fabulous little links like Rosslare, Arklow, Corballis are not considered in the same categories as the classic links, like – The European Club, The Island, Portmarnock.

You don’t often hear people talk about Co Louth – “Baltray” – The first time I went was with the “Da” – for the Irish Open in 2004. I was mesmerised and dreamed of playing it one day.

I know people who love their links can be a bit snobby about what is classified as up with the best. I myself had an outrageous introduction to real links by playing Enniscrone as my first. Little did I know I had set a standard very hard to follow? When you play the big crazy dramatic dunes of Enniscrone – it can be a little hard to come back to earth and like the flatter links courses.
    But – as the years pass and you live on the east coast. You simply don’t get the opportunity to play the big ones too often. The Island is the closest you get – but it is often hard to play these places and to be honest, too expensive.
    When you get more friends in the game – this comes a little easier thankfully.

So – was looking forward to my round immensely. I was like a child on the coastal drive out. You drive under the impressive Boyne Viaduct – you realise you are in a town of significant industrial and marine history. It gives an insight into the fact, that men, even in 1892 were looking for land to play a game of escape, which still fascinates us all to this day.

As you enter – you see they are still working on the place – a new car park and short game practice area under construction. The great clubs are always looking at continuous improvement.

I just love the place – The people there lack that stuffiness that can be evident in some of the older spots in Dublin. The walls are covered in pictures of the amateurs and now professionals that have played on and won on the course.

Nice to see the East of Ireland names up on the wall – some famous , some lesser known – but they all have their name up and you are doing a quick calculation of the total score – wow , typically under par over 4 days. That is real golf. No, unreal golf from the Back sticks on a wind swept links
    It was a perfect day – with all day to do it. The nice "Yanks" with their 4 caddies were all over the course, so you said – ok we are going to be near 5 hours. But this is heaven. Who cares? I Played very well from the off, the wind was up so we were going to have a hard day – the rough there is wild if you hit it. Typically a lost ball, if a bad shot left or right.

I just love the definition of each hole, in dream like condition through and on the green – then just wild stuff outside first rough. You actually rarely see other golfers and there seems to be space at times to fit another 9 fabulous links holes.

When you play a championship Links with wind – the speed of the surfaces is always incredible for amateur golfers – the solid mature surfaces and wind, means the stimpmeter is off scale. Putting on surfaces and judging the clubs – requires a lot of experience.

The course opens up tame enough – but they are still very clever holes – with fabulous greens and perfectly placed bunkers. I opened with a Bird – always nice. I played as well as I can and was level at the 5th tee box. I hit a shank on a shot I was really looking forward to - too much. It seriously knocked the wind out of my sales – and disappointed not to have a gross score from then on. Finished with 31 points – made a few mistakes in bunkers – seriously not use to playing bunkers that deep in fairway and foolishly tried to do too much.

I love the run from 5 all the way to 17 – I know there are a few average holes – But I even liked them.
    Some incredible holes like 12 – 13 – 14 – 15 – 16. You need to able to hit a fade – a draw – a punch, to play that course right. Loved it. Finished the last 6 level par – and was happy to Birdie 16, another amazing Links hole.

I loved the day – the tough wind – the place - the people.

I admire the crazy brilliant men – who dreamt up putting courses in these barren, inaccessible places (well done Messrs Pentland and Gilroy). When you play some of the great Links, you literally have a stunning part of the world to yourself, your company and your ball. I know I will be back to “Baltray” – and try get a decent score, on a classic links that calls you back and ingrains in your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭leonards

You know you face serious competition for Links courses in Ireland when fabulous little links like Rosslare, Arklow, Corballis are not considered in the same categories as the classic links, like – The European Club, The Island, Portmarnock.

You don’t often hear people talk about Co Louth – “Baltray” – The first time I went was with the “Da” – for the Irish Open in 2004. I was mesmerised and dreamed of playing it one day.

I know people who love their links can be a bit snobby about what is classified as up with the best. I myself had an outrageous introduction to real links by playing Enniscrone as my first. Little did I know I had set a standard very hard to follow? When you play the big crazy dramatic dunes of Enniscrone – it can be a little hard to come back to earth and like the flatter links courses.
    But – as the years pass and you live on the east coast. You simply don’t get the opportunity to play the big ones too often. The Island is the closest you get – but it is often hard to play these places and to be honest, too expensive.
    When you get more friends in the game – this comes a little easier thankfully.

So – was looking forward to my round immensely. I was like a child on the coastal drive out. You drive under the impressive Boyne Viaduct – you realise you are in a town of significant industrial and marine history. It gives an insight into the fact, that men, even in 1892 were looking for land to play a game of escape, which still fascinates us all to this day.

As you enter – you see they are still working on the place – a new car park and short game practice area under construction. The great clubs are always looking at continuous improvement.

I just love the place – The people there lack that stuffiness that can be evident in some of the older spots in Dublin. The walls are covered in pictures of the amateurs and now professionals that have played on and won on the course.

Nice to see the East of Ireland names up on the wall – some famous , some lesser known – but they all have their name up and you are doing a quick calculation of the total score – wow , typically under par over 4 days. That is real golf. No, unreal golf from the Back sticks on a wind swept links
    It was a perfect day – with all day to do it. The nice "Yanks" with their 4 caddies were all over the course, so you said – ok we are going to be near 5 hours. But this is heaven. Who cares? I Played very well from the off, the wind was up so we were going to have a hard day – the rough there is wild if you hit it. Typically a lost ball, if a bad shot left or right.

I just love the definition of each hole, in dream like condition through and on the green – then just wild stuff outside first rough. You actually rarely see other golfers and there seems to be space at times to fit another 9 fabulous links holes.

When you play a championship Links with wind – the speed of the surfaces is always incredible for amateur golfers – the solid mature surfaces and wind, means the stimpmeter is off scale. Putting on surfaces and judging the clubs – requires a lot of experience.

The course opens up tame enough – but they are still very clever holes – with fabulous greens and perfectly placed bunkers. I opened with a Bird – always nice. I played as well as I can and was level at the 5th tee box. I hit a shank on a shot I was really looking forward to - too much. It seriously knocked the wind out of my sales – and disappointed not to have a gross score from then on. Finished with 31 points – made a few mistakes in bunkers – seriously not use to playing bunkers that deep in fairway and foolishly tried to do too much.

I love the run from 5 all the way to 17 – I know there are a few average holes – But I even liked them.
    Some incredible holes like 12 – 13 – 14 – 15 – 16. You need to able to hit a fade – a draw – a punch, to play that course right. Loved it. Finished the last 6 level par – and was happy to Birdie 16, another amazing Links hole.

I loved the day – the tough wind – the place - the people.

I admire the crazy brilliant men – who dreamt up putting courses in these barren, inaccessible places (well done Messrs Pentland and Gilroy). When you play some of the great Links, you literally have a stunning part of the world to yourself, your company and your ball. I know I will be back to “Baltray” – and try get a decent score, on a classic links that calls you back and ingrains in your mind.

Was the new 17th in play?

Yes - Well I think, 17a

Brilliant hole - much better than old 17.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

I felt really lucky to be able to escape the house and play Corballis on a glorious winter's day like today. It's in great nick.

mjsc1970 wrote: »
    I felt really lucky to be able to escape the house and play Corballis on a glorious winter's day like today. It's in great nick.

Yes - when I'm looking for escape or something - I hit there .

I'd often be in the car feeling a bit daft . Buthe moment I hit 4 it all comes back.

If I get off to a good start there is normally have a great day and play way above myself.

mjsc1970 wrote: »

I'd often be in the car feeling a bit daft . Buthe moment I hit 4 it all comes back.

If I get off to a good start there is normally have a great day and play way above myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Sun. Zero wind today. Forward tees on 1, 3 and 4, soft true greens, majestic.

Just wanted 1000th post .

Love links . Basically wouldn't play golf without it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

Just wanted 1000th post .

Love links . Basically wouldn't play golf without it.

Ouch, you'll have to settle the 1001st.

Love links too, there's something raw, honest and pure about it, nothing else comes close.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Lads I'd love to get down to the European club some part of the year. Think I can get into the opens for 60 euro.

Anyone interested in getting a 3 or 4 ball together later on in the year?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Lads I'd love to get down to the European club some part of the year. Think I can get into the opens for 60 euro.

Anyone interested in getting a 3 or 4 ball together later on in the year?

Yes but don't leave it too late as they don't do opens all year round. Played there twice over Christmas, what a course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

........ It gives an insight into the fact, that men, even in 1892 were looking for land to play a game of escape, which still fascinates us all to this day.

Point of order - golf was played on the south side of the river a decade or more before the 'new' club/course started on the north side of the Boyne ;)

Mr Gilroy's second (and best) attempt to establish golf in the vicinity of Drogheda.

Yes but don't leave it too late as they don't do opens all year round. Played there twice over Christmas, what a course.

Every Thursday Friday Saturday and Sunday until end of aprol, 60 euro, I'd be thinking some Saturday or Sunday in April.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Every Thursday Friday Saturday and Sunday until end of aprol, 60 euro, I'd be thinking some Saturday or Sunday in April.

Drop me a PM when you know when you'll be playing. They'll put you out with a few other lads anyway so you won't be on your own.

Lads anyone fancy a game on a decent link East coast tomorrow.

Thinking European if available

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

Can't do a weekday for the next while Fix but would love to take you up on this later in the year? Be nice to get a lesson into how to play the aul links.

the lawman wrote: »
    Can't do a weekday for the next while Fix but would love to take you up on this later in the year? Be nice to get a lesson into how to play the aul links.

Just rang - it is actually cheaper at weekend - as it is an Open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

Even better. I'll be up for that in a few weeks. Juts got stuff on now for the next while. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭nebraska132

Is there a regular open on the weekend? Or is it a one off? How much is the open? Thanks

Is there a regular open on the weekend? Or is it a one off? How much is the open? Thanks

That have opens nearly every day. €60

As above opens are Thursday to Sunday until end of April. I'm hoping to get down some rain free day in April.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I don’t know if it is that tough or just me, but with the full day off and the unusual warm weather, I decided to play the European Club today – Gerry in the shop, provided me with one of the nicest experiences of a top club I have ever had. It can be a little intimidating when at a top level Links, but The European Club is more like you are a guest in someone’s home and you sort of are, in this rare instance.

I started the day – a bit unsure of my strategy and ended up half way between lay ups and 3 woods and Drivers. It was a calm day, I was playing the white tees – I was just swinging a bit OTT and poorly. Not a great place to turn up with a bad swing and unsure course plan.

A score of 84 born from a terrible start, that knocked me off course. I hit the bunkers 4 times and you are looking at a double if you do hit them.

The bunkers are a debate in themselves – I noticed on the front that the links grass is now growing more at the top and gaps of the sleepers. The sand was heavy and deep and playing golf shots from bunkers like them, is a thing you never have to do in 99 rounds out of 100. Raking the bunkers requires serious effort and you need to actually rake in two directions a couple of times – is a bit of a work out, to even get in and out and rake it right.

The course was actually a lot wetter than I expected, this made judging the surfaces far more difficult. The greens are incredible – maybe the best I ever played on. I have been away from championship Links greens for too long and playing them is an art within an art.

I loved the par 3s, you’re hitting clubs like PW- 9 iron and 8 iron – but you have to, as in have to, hit the green on all of them. But even if you hit the green – there is no easy 2 putt.

In fact as I write this, it reminds me that the course has an unusual combination of holes – only 2 par 5s – the one positive of my day was I had two eagle chances on them – but made the easy birds. A rare highlight of the day.
    The first par 5 – Hole 3 is a stunning golf hole, decided to change strategy and attack when I could – there is room, but at times you are blind to it. At other times there is no room, but you are also blind to it. The joys of links.

I think a couple of lads around here have hit par or lower on this course – that is stunning golf. I know it is a course you will improve on with time. that is at times why I love links golf – there is a learning process, it isn’t obvious how to play a hole. You can be a slow learner and learn the hard way.

It was an easy day – with the wind picking up in the afternoon – with the greens speeding up and drying out. With wind – it must be incredibly difficult, in the summer it must be very slow. It was bizarre – eerie and beautiful to have a whole part of the coast to myself.

One very impressive aspect of the course, is the flow of the holes – in a similar way to The Island – holes rarely interact with each other and are framed by the natural shape of the land and experience of Ruddy’s imagination and vision. It is a championship level course, but playing the extra holes I got around in 3 hrs – 5 mins. It is a decent walk – but not that tough long walk some of the big links can be.

I would be dishonest to say the course is all perfect and filled with perfect holes. I’d say the course has stages – it opens in an enclosed section, that if it didn’t have the sleepers, it would feel a bit parkland at times. Even the colour of the divot, is a bit darker than expected, it was reaffirmed to me that it is 100 % Links. I could see someone saying at times it “feels” parkland. But when you turn left at 7 – you feel like you have been shifted to Carne to Eniscrrone to Baltray then to The Island by 12. It is a remarkable run of golf. Stunning. I feel the last phase of the course is different again – not as strong, yes 16 is a great links hole – but 17 and 18 are a little disappointing to finish.

But, I’m really judging that by the highest standards – 17 is actually a relief as you can for once not fear a drive and have a chance. 18, you need a line that you don’t have or know (yet).

A brilliant round of golf – with very different holes and eccentricities.
    So, best value top level golf I have ever got at a winter rate. I’m always looking for the "Top!" level courses to be kind to winter / local GUI players. So I congratulate The European Club on supporting Irish golfers with imaginative ways for us to play at a decent rate. I think the summer with the course full could be slow work – but would be fun in wind with fast surfaces.

I’ll be back a few times this winter/spring. I want to have a good round there – but it is a cruel place at times. But sometimes the ones that hurt us are the ones we love the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Nicely put Fix, I have never played it but will get to it this year.

J

Nicely put Fix, I have never played it but will get to it this year.

J

Yes - 2 of us should head down.

It is a place you'd love or hate I'd say. Will be interesting your view.

I love The European. My favourite track in fact. I love the simplicity of the place and the stunning views from some of the holes, especially the two along the beech. I chuckled when I read your description of the sand in the bunkers, so true, the sand is almost like quicksand and it is very difficult to rake :).

The 7th is a remarkable hole, a true index 1 IMO. The approach shot is fraught with danger. Left and you're in either of the two bunkers and more than likely plugged as its all carry if you go over that way. On the right, the green viciously slops into the OB. Great hole though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Good read Fix,
    I like the European but dont love it. It has some classic holes but some very plain ones aswell, last year I played it in the same week as RCD and there is no comparison.
    Feels to me at times like a course you would play in Portugal or Spain.
    I was 3 under through 3 there last year... one to tell the grandkids about:pac:

• Advertisement

dar_cool wrote: »
    Good read Fix,
    I like the European but dont love it. It has some classic holes but some very plain ones aswell, last year I played it in the same week as RCD and there is no comparison.
    Feels to me at times like a course you would play in Portugal or Spain.
    I was 3 under through 3 there last year... one to tell the grandkids about:pac:

You'd be a good man to ask ?

Did you or one of the lads have a near par round there.

What one do you think is harder. And by how many shots harder ?

Advertisement