Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

I had a 77 there, think ray had something similar. Id rate RCD alot harder than it, in a different league in my opinion. RCD always seems to have a bunker on front of the green that messes with your mind. RCD has a polish on it that no other course ive played has. Steps up to the teebox, grass paths etc. Hard to explain, BallyB has it in places but not in the same league as RCD either in my opinion. Man i want to play links:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Played Ballyb the last 2 years and the improvements were huge last year.
    All the paths and tee boxes were immaculate.

I think the European and rossepenna are the 2 hardest links I played, both design by Mr Ruddy.

Think the European stops me from hitting driver as I run out of fairway on a lot of holes.so playing a lot of longer clubs into holes.
    Bunkers are unlike anything you will play anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭benny79

I was talking to Mr Ruddy's son the time I played it and the man himself (very nice and down to earth people) I love when you ring up to book and ask about winter rate they anyways say as long as you dont rock up with a american accent its €60 they obviously know by your accent you're Irish.. :D

Anyway he told me Tiger has the course record, think it is 68/69 card is in the club house, but Rory shot a 70 on the course and he reckons it was a better score as the rough was up and much tougher conditions etc.. Just goes to show you have tough the course is...

I loved it the time I played it! was going along nicely hitting rescue of Tee and well, then scratched 2 holes hitting second shots of the fairway and losing then in the winter sun! hadnt a clue where they went, but were well struck!

Did you play it on your own Fix?

As much as I love links I hate playing them on my own as I find you lose balls easy if they just go in the rough.. (mainly par 5 second shots) and its good to have a second opinion as to whereabouts it landed.. Happened me in Waterville on my holidays lost 2 balls on the Par 5's 1 of the tee and 1 second shot, hit fairway and ran into rough... One of the worse ways in losing a ball as you hit good shots!! and your just judge positioning of were it landed wrong and then your head is fried for rest of round..

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭nebraska132

Was thinking of playing Portrush and Castlerock in the next couple of months - has anyone played them and would you know if you are typically playing off mats?

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Was thinking of playing Portrush and Castlerock in the next couple of months - has anyone played them and would you know if you are typically playing off mats?

I've asked them this question a few times when booking society golf - and you will be either off mats or the side of fairways until St patrick's day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

benny79 wrote: »

Did you play it on your own Fix?

Rough is cut back - only lost one ball and it was because I topped it - shocker.

The rough is very easy at present.

Plan on going down a few times in next 2 month again. Will post again when going - or happy enough to head out alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Macker1

Would love to take on a challenge like the European. It may tear me up but I'm sure it would be a pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Macker1 wrote: »
    Would love to take on a challenge like the European. It may tear me up but I'm sure it would be a pleasure.

If you survived Carne on that morning you'll survive anything !!

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭Ronney

Is the European Club Qualifying at the moment? also in what range is roughly the css for the open comps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Rosses Point won the Best Links in Connacht, Strandhill won Hidden Gem Links Connacht at the Golfers Guide 2017 this week.

Results aren't on their website yet.

Rosses Point also won IGTOA Best Links Course of the Year 2016 in November.

Does these awards mean anything to the normal player?

• Advertisement

Lads has anyone played in this - this year.

Some great scores.

http://www.portmarnock.com/open-events.html

Also - any other good winter rates out there on top links

Portmarnock Old - 145 euro - that the only option for there ?

Just seen Royal Dublin at 75 euro - not too bad ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Lads has anyone played in this - this year.

Some great scores.

http://www.portmarnock.com/open-events.html

Also - any other good winter rates out there on top links

Portmarnock Old - 145 euro - that the only option for there ?

Just seen Royal Dublin at 75 euro - not too bad ?

Played it in November Fix, and many times before. I love the course, fair but tricky and a decent test off the back sticks as the comps are during the Tuesday winter series events. Its 50e to play the Tuesdays but handicap limit is 9. The comp is popular with the low men and even pros, including Lowry, Harrington and Dunne, as well as some of the seriously talented up and coming amateurs. Prices have gone from 40e to 55 and upwards with the regular opens but given the location and the condition of the course, its probably worth it on a good day. Some lovely holes and good golf is rewarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

Bit far for most, but Ballyliffin Open for €30 Fri & Sat during Winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

New Year's resolution is to get out and play on more links, other than my home track.....

.....my intended first stop is Corballis (back to where it all began :D) but I can't see how to book in for the Friday morning open comp?

Is it through BRS and, in that case, is it €20 entry fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭WacoKid

Played Portmarnock Links last week. Was always a fan and now with the course investment taking place it is becoming a really great links IMO.

Corballis, in their Friday open comp. Finished with a not-disrespectable 38 points (with 2 scratches).

Must be at least 25 years since I knocked it around there and it was still as good as I remember......euro for euro it must be the best value course on the east coast.

Already looking forward to going back in a few weeks and this time I'll be better prepared for some of those blind shots!!

Jawgap wrote: »
    Corballis, in their Friday open comp. Finished with a not-disrespectable 38 points (with 2 scratches).

Must be at least 25 years since I knocked it around there and it was still as good as I remember......euro for euro it must be the best value course on the east coast.

Already looking forward to going back in a few weeks and this time I'll be better prepared for some of those blind shots!!

Links courses are a bit soft for the first time this year.

How was the ground ?

Good score.

Links courses are a bit soft for the first time this year.

How was the ground ?

Good score.

Thanks.

Ground conditions were generally fine - one or two spots were a bit sodden. One green (15, iirc) had a portion marked as GUR which looked like it was that way because of water damage, and the apron on 14 was a bit dead (and thank God.....otherwise the skimmer I hit would have rolled on and through and still be rolling!!).

Plenty of run 'n' roll on the fairways and while the greens were pacy enough for this time of year they were very yielding.

it seems there's a bit of work going on - new paths are being put in (which made for one or two muddy spots) and the lake is drained - they guy I was playing with seemed to think they might be going to change it shape/profile.

Jawgap wrote: »
    Thanks.

Ground conditions were generally fine - one or two spots were a bit sodden. One green (15, iirc) had a portion marked as GUR which looked like it was that way because of water damage, and the apron on 14 was a bit dead (and thank God.....otherwise the skimmer I hit would have rolled on and through and still be rolling!!).

Plenty of run 'n' roll on the fairways and while the greens were pacy enough for this time of year they were very yielding.

it seems there's a bit of work going on - new paths are being put in (which made for one or two muddy spots) and the lake is drained - they guy I was playing with seemed to think they might be going to change it shape/profile.

I guess that is the lake at 9.

I love that hole the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Down9194

I guess that is the lake at 9.

I love that hole the way it is.

They should shorten the 9th and make 10 a par 4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Down9194 wrote: »
    They should shorten the 9th and make 10 a par 4

Interesting. Go on.....

mjsc1970 wrote: »
    Interesting. Go on.....

I think I get the idea-

Use the mostly unused lhs of green 9 as a tee box for 10 - making it a dogleg left .

It could be dangerous - unless the tee box was raised considerably, so you can see the players teeing off on 8. Player on the tee box of 11 would also be at risk.

This would get the course up to par 67.

You are a bit lost for space on the rest of the course - there is maybe a chance of turning 3 into a par 5 by pushing green say 10 yrd further into mounds. And working tee box to the back and further. You could also move green left - but more work.

that gets it to 68.

You are pushing it now.

You could remove cross at 15 and 16 with ease,

But couse is fine as is - in my eyes.,

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Down9194

mjsc1970 wrote: »
    Interesting. Go on.....

Bring 9th green forward and tee off over pond to make 10th par 4

I think I get the idea-

Use the mostly unused lhs of green 9 as a tee box for 10 - making it a dogleg left .

It could be dangerous - unless the tee box was raised considerably, so you can see the players teeing off on 8. Player on the tee box of 11 would also be at risk.

This would get the course up to par 67.

You are a bit lost for space on the rest of the course - there is maybe a chance of turning 3 into a par 5 by pushing green say 10 yrd further into mounds. And working tee box to the back and further. You could also move green left - but more work.

that gets it to 68.

You are pushing it now.

You could remove cross at 15 and 16 with ease,

But couse is fine as is - in my eyes.,

No that's progress indeed. The course was fine for years and then they introduced the new 4th to 7th and transformed the place by removing the holes by the hotel.

Not so sure i would change one of the best par 4's around town in to a par 5 though.

Down9194 wrote: »
    Bring 9th green forward and tee off over pond to make 10th par 4

The 10th would be great, but sacrificing the 9th. Ever stand on that back tee with a 3 iron in your hand? Quite daunting.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I can't remember the pond!!!

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I can't remember the pond!!!

Well it is full of reeds and has little or no water.

At times it wouldn't look like a water hazard - but is in fact the only water hazard on the course and comes into play on 8 lhs and 9 lhs

I think it is a mistake to remove it, as plays a good part in hole 8 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Off to play the European tomorrow:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

mike12 wrote: »
    Off to play the European tomorrow:)

Played it on Sunday and it was in great condition.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Well it is full of reeds and has little or no water.

At times it wouldn't look like a water hazard - but is in fact the only water hazard on the course and comes into play on 8 lhs and 9 lhs

I think it is a mistake to remove it, as plays a good part in hole 8 too.

I'll have a look again on Tuesday!! Hopefully not looking for a ball in it!!!:D

Advertisement