Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Little bit blowy out there today......

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Jawgap wrote: »
    Little bit blowy out there today......

Just like yesterday. Almost unplayable. Ye would be mad to be tee it up for pleasure right at this moment. Our flag on the 9th at 45 degrees

mjsc1970 wrote: »
    Just like yesterday. Almost unplayable. Ye would be mad to be tee it up for pleasure right at this moment. Our flag on the 9th at 45 degrees

Ah, I don't know - I managed 28 pts off 15 holes :D - but saying that.....

....2 of our group walked in after 8 holes because of the wind and cold and flecks of sleet that started...(I only stayed because I was doing reasonably well, and the other guy stayed because he was putting the card in for his handicap)

....on one hole not only were you trying to balance to hit a drive you had to contend with sand being whipped off the beach and getting blasted into your face (unless you were a lefty)

...it took nearly 5 minutes to make 2 putts on one hole because every time you tried to replace the ball after marking it the wind was pushing it away

....one downwind hole for me which is usually a drive and 5 iron was a drive and lob wedge!

....another upwind hole took a drive and two 3 irons just to get within range for a wedge

....but I still love links golf!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Just back in now. It was a bit rough out there alright but what else would you be doing on a Sunday morning.

Ah, I don't know - I managed 28 pts off 15 holes :D - but saying that.....

....2 of our group walked in after 8 holes because of the wind and cold and flecks of sleet that started...(I only stayed because I was doing reasonably well, and the other guy stayed because he was putting the card in for his handicap)

....on one hole not only were you trying to balance to hit a drive you had to contend with sand being whipped off the beach and getting blasted into your face (unless you were a lefty)

...it took nearly 5 minutes to make 2 putts on one hole because every time you tried to replace the ball after marking it the wind was pushing it away

....one downwind hole for me which is usually a drive and 5 iron was a drive and lob wedge!

....another upwind hole took a drive and two 3 irons just to get within range for a wedge

....but I still love links golf!

Ok that was a few gusts. Only 20 degree angle now. But im the only one here and I've just made it no further than the chipping area and even that's great fun

• Advertisement

Ok that was a few gusts. Only 20 degree angle now. But im the only one here and I've just made it no further than the chipping area and even that's great fun

Enough of that, twas Baltic.
    Jawgap, 28pts in 15 holes of that, that's impressive

Enough of that, twas Baltic.
    Jawgap, 28pts in 15 holes of that, that's impressive

Thanks, was quite chuffed with it. If I hadn't been on for a decent score I'd have probably bailed as well.

As it was I ended up doing the full 18 as my partner wanted a card to hand in for handicap.

Just as an aside, obviously I was well wrapped up but I had on a pair of FootJoy winter gloves....

2007_eur_67402?fmt=png-alpha&wid=221&hei=189&resMode=sharp

....and they were brilliant - kept the hands nice and toasty with no loss of grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Played The European today. It was in fantastic condition, and the greens were the best I've played on in years. I actually haven't a clue how the the greenkeepers can get them so perfect this time of year as there was hardly a blemish on them and they were super fast.

Played ok, 33 points with 2 scratches. The sun was shining and it really brought out the best of the course and each time I play it, it really cements it's place as my favourite track that bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Looking at the results in yesterday competition, just the one par at the 18th (Island). Think there were over 70 people entered....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Played Royal Dublin today to finish all the links on the full east coast of Ireland.

Was a long time coming, playing it, considering it is in Dublin. Played from the yellow course - that is forward, but full course in play for the first time this week. Typically Paddy's day is when local links winter rules come to an end.

Was a lovely day for links golf , well maybe, the wind was too strong on way home - but will cover that later.

It is interesting the varying opinion you get about the course and club. Along the lines of , too posh, too flat, too windy, average course. Then you have others saying classic links, very tough, a great test of golf, fantastic history

I had gone to the Irish Amateur on it and the more I walked it the more I began to think I would like the course. It is too flat to make the top ranks of courses. But it has that lovely feel of a true rolling links course - if you like your links.

Seen incredibly good golf there and just horrible conditions during The Irish Amateur. It is a course that the top players can go out and have one in the low 60s one day - then in the 80s the next. It is all in the wind, the weather, the tee time.

You don't come across it too often these days , but it is a traditional out and back course - you play away from the club house all the way to the turn and then work your way back to the clubhouse.

With the wind behind me on the front and playing from the yellows - it was way too easy. You are talking 8 irons and 7 irons into par 5s The rough is cut back and I was 1 over par (with a lost ball). I really like the par 3s a real test with mid to low irons. You are punching into the wind typically.

Then you turn and it is torture - today was high wind speed into your face all the way home and a combination of poor play and bad choices I was 9 over home. Very disappointing - but that is links golf for you.

So I really enjoyed the experience , a great test of golf, if not a little imbalanced.

The greens are great fun (if not at their best at present) - true and feel mature , even if I think they are fairly new considering the club is over 125 years old.

Would I like to play it every week - I don't think so , just too hard, is a quick round and clever lay out. But - would just break your heart that wind all the time. I'm not even sure I'd enjoy it from tees further back in them conditions.

Would I like to be a member , in a life I wont have. No - far too old school for me and from a time and culture of the past. It is friendly and everyone was 100 % , but it is just too , who are you.

I can see why elite players love and hate it.

As a ranking on the east I would place it low enough down my listing - behind. The Island, The European Club, Portmarnock, Baltray and Portmarnock Links.

But - it is a course that is a true test of ball striking on the way home, tore me apart and would love to give it another go in slightly easier conditions from the whites in summer. The blues we will leave to the future of the game.

For the trophy cabinets and golf history alone it is worth the trip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

A few more photos from the weekend. Prize for naming the three trophies!!

It's a tough life having to play here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Looking at the results in yesterday competition, just the one par at the 18th (Island). Think there were over 70 people entered....

The average score on the 1st hole last Saturday was 6.0. Was directly into a very strong wind.

Conversely the 18th was straight downwind and the average was 4.88. Mad how much of a difference it makes.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Off to play Rosses Point June bank holiday. Anyone got any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Played Royal Dublin today to finish all the links on the full east coast of Ireland.

<snip>

I love these write ups you do. Go back and read them every now and then. I'm fortunate enough to be a member out in The Island so I love that one! Great stuff anyway, look forward to the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Yeah, play strandhill instead!

Mental out on the links today lads.

The summer roll is there, the fairways are browning up.

Pure wind and run - but hit one 351 yards today :eek::), then hit the driver only 180 into it. Was mental stuff. At one point used a 6 iron for 120 yards.

Came across 3 yanks - they said it was "awesome man" . I told them I play a good bit in wind, but that was just mental.

Some eagle putts down wind - double bogey into it,

Get the sun cream, the shorts and the shades.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jarrieta

I will be playing Enniscrone on the 20th of May, anyone welcome to join me, teeing off at 13.00

frink wrote: »
    Off to play Rosses Point June bank holiday. Anyone got any tips?

Enjoy yourself!
    Miss long or left on 4 esp if pin is on right.
    Hit a 3wood off 6 unless you can draw the ball (drain and OOB on right and anything fading that hits fairway will be in drain at best), then don't miss green on left.
    2nd to both 7 and 8 are longer than they appear.
    Don't go for the pin on 11 if it's on the right.
    If you've a good long game, put your drive out right in semi on 17 with an iron/ fairway wood to get a look at the green (and not have to trust to luck if you drive "over the top"): it'll be around 210-220yds to flag, then don't go past the pin with your 2nd shot.
    Check where the pin is on 18 BEFORE you leave the 1st tee: this dictates drive on left or right.

I'd be really interested in an unbiased opinion with regard to how you found the course, how you were treated, value for money, would you play again etc. after you've played so let us know how you got on!!

• Advertisement

Yeah, play strandhill instead!

That's a bit harsh!

Pure wind and run - but hit one 351 yards today :eek::), then hit the driver only 180 into it. Was mental stuff. At one point used a 6 iron for 120 yards.

Came across 3 yanks - they said it was "awesome man" . I told them I play a good bit in wind, but that was just mental.

I know it's the wrong sport but it brings to mind the 10cc classic:
    "I don't like cricket, oh no, I love it!!"

Can't wait :)

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Enjoy yourself!
    Miss long or left on 4 esp if pin is on right.
    Hit a 3wood off 6 unless you can draw the ball (drain and OOB on right and anything fading that hits fairway will be in drain at best), then don't miss green on left.
    2nd to both 7 and 8 are longer than they appear.
    Don't go for the pin on 11 if it's on the right.
    If you've a good long game, put your drive out right in semi on 17 with an iron/ fairway wood to get a look at the green (and not have to trust to luck if you drive "over the top"): it'll be around 210-220yds to flag, then don't go past the pin with your 2nd shot.
    Check where the pin is on 18 BEFORE you leave the 1st tee: this dictates drive on left or right.

I'd be really interested in an unbiased opinion with regard to how you found the course, how you were treated, value for money, would you play again etc. after you've played so let us know how you got on!!

Thanks for that! Playing the Open on the June BH so looking forward to it! Not played a links in a few years so low expectations as to how I get on!

Proper links golf at the weekend.......

.......howling gale on Saturday, played in sunshine but wrapped up in a wind jacket to keep the chill out....wind was straight across the course.....eyes sand blasted from grains whipped up from the beach......

......Sunday? Calm air and polo-shirts before 8am! And spent the round wondering how much abuse I was going to get when I got home for not wearing sun screen!

Our place is browning up nicely - it looks more like late July / early August, not early May at the moment, and that's despite the greenkeepers watering the place quite heavily over the last few days....greens are slick as be damned (at least four times on Sunday one or other of us sent a downhill putt off sliding off the green).....pins are tucked in behind bunkers.....and the rough is long and wispy :D

Proper links golf at the weekend.......

.......howling gale on Saturday, played in sunshine but wrapped up in a wind jacket to keep the chill out....wind was straight across the course.....eyes sand blasted from grains whipped up from the beach......

......Sunday? Calm air and polo-shirts before 8am! And spent the round wondering how much abuse I was going to get when I got home for not wearing sun screen!

Our place is browning up nicely - it looks more like late July / early August, not early May at the moment, and that's despite the greenkeepers watering the place quite heavily over the last few days....greens are slick as be damned (at least four times on Sunday one or other of us sent a downhill putt off sliding off the green).....pins are tucked in behind bunkers.....and the rough is long and wispy :D

Ya just can't beat it!!!

frink wrote: »
    Thanks for that! Playing the Open on the June BH so looking forward to it! Not played a links in a few years so low expectations as to how I get on!

We'll be expecting a shot by shot account afterwards!
    Here's the analysis from Saturday and Sunday:

Sat 6th May
    Hole Par Index Eagles Birdies Pars Avg Score Avg Diff From Par
    7 4 1 0 0 5 5.49 +1.49
    8 4 4 0 0 6 5.35 +1.35
    17 4 2 0 1 7 5.29 +1.29
    10 4 14 0 0 17 5.15 +1.15
    1 4 9 0 0 9 5.1 +1.1
    4 3 11 0 1 14 4 +1
    9 3 13 0 2 14 3.98 +0.98
    11 4 3 0 0 25 4.96 +0.96
    2 4 15 0 0 20 4.93 +0.93
    6 4 6 0 1 27 4.84 +0.84
    14 4 5 0 4 20 4.84 +0.84
    18 4 10 0 2 29 4.81 +0.81
    16 3 12 0 1 21 3.78 +0.78
    15 4 7 0 2 25 4.77 +0.77
    3 5 8 0 5 26 5.72 +0.72
    13 3 17 0 3 33 3.52 +0.52
    5 5 18 1 5 31 5.51 +0.51
    12 5 16 0 12 36 5.25 +0.25

Sun 7th May
    Hole Par Index Eagles Birdies Pars Avg Score Avg Diff From Par
    8 4 4 0 0 7 5.24 +1.24
    17 4 2 0 0 11 5.18 +1.18
    7 4 1 0 0 12 5.14 +1.14
    6 4 6 0 0 11 5.13 +1.13
    14 4 5 0 3 8 5.06 +1.06
    1 4 9 0 1 18 4.98 +0.98
    11 4 3 0 3 14 4.93 +0.93
    3 5 8 0 0 19 5.88 +0.88
    2 4 15 0 1 21 4.82 +0.82
    15 4 7 0 1 19 4.82 +0.82
    16 3 12 0 0 20 3.79 +0.79
    4 3 11 0 1 27 3.75 +0.75
    9 3 13 0 2 21 3.71 +0.71
    10 4 14 0 3 25 4.68 +0.68
    12 5 16 0 3 24 5.65 +0.65
    18 4 10 0 3 21 4.62 +0.62
    13 3 17 0 5 35 3.34 +0.34
    5 5 18 1 12 27 5.19 +0.19

As dry as I have ever seen it this early

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/parts-of-country-record-driest-april-in-40-years-1.3070014

And the stats confirm it.

Hard spots and hard contact with ground and club edge - balls rolling on irons.

It was blissful today - didn't play great to start (7 over for 9) - but came home 1 over in what were the most perfect conditions of the year.

The wind from the North is still cooling, in fact it makes it more pleasant - but you need the 2nd layer at times.

Game very erratic at present - but the harder ground suits me. So hoping a turn in form soon.

Was thinking if you should have less bounce on your wedges on that ground - anyone change approach/ clubs on the tighter harder summer lie ?

Back to normal Friday and some rain on the way - to be honest the Links courses could do with some rain at this point.

As dry as I have ever seen it this early

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/parts-of-country-record-driest-april-in-40-years-1.3070014

And the stats confirm it.

Hard spots and hard contact with ground and club edge - balls rolling on irons.

It was blissful today - didn't play great to start (7 over for 9) - but came home 1 over in what were the most perfect conditions of the year.

The wind from the North is still cooling, in fact it makes it more pleasant - but you need the 2nd layer at times.

Game very erratic at present - but the harder ground suits me. So hoping a turn in form soon.

Was thinking if you should have less bounce on your wedges on that ground - anyone change approach/ clubs on the tighter harder summer lie ?

Back to normal Friday and some rain on the way - to be honest the Links courses could do with some rain at this point.

Was out this evening for a few holes and for the craic started using my 3 iron off the tee.....lower trajectory, not as much carry but the run was incredible :D Almost drove one hole, a shortish par-4 from an elevated tee.

My wedges are low bounce anyway, so no real change, but I'm making greater use of the 7, 8 and 4 hybrid for the ol' bump and run.

Heaven yesterday. There is even an odd crack appearing in a couple of places on the fairways...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Heaven yesterday. There is even an odd crack appearing in a couple of places on the fairways...

Fantastic shots - that water is so calm. Lucky man to be able to nip out there for an evening round.

Advertisement