Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Lads - I'm in kerry next week.

Is there any decent opens North Kerry.

Also - what is Castlegregory like. I genuinley would be like a "Jackeen" - when it comes to golf in Kerry. The big course are just crazy money by the looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭dball

castlegregory is a decent 9 hole. some great par 3's 1 par 5 and a couple of drivable par 4's

Ceann Sibeal is good value but its another hour from castlegregory.

There could be a mixed open on Aug 7th -

• Registered Users Posts: 21,181 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Also - what is Castlegregory like. I genuinley would be like a "Jackeen" - when it comes to golf in Kerry. The big course are just crazy money by the looks.

Think the Pat Mulcare cup is usually on the Aug bank hol, you might get lucky with a team looking for someone. €100 total for Tralee & Ballybunion, over two days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭benny79

I stayed in Tralee a couple of years ago and got Waterville for €65 when I mentioned Im a GUI member voted the best course in Ireland (not including the north obviously) It was an hr and a half drive from Tralee :rolleyes: should of just played Tralee but a wise old man told me if your in Kerry you have to play waterville! and just like you I was a pure Jackeen and didn't realise how big Kerry was... Its a super course I just was unlucky with weather as been on the edge of the Atlantic I think a storm hit on the back 9 it was like crazy Golf that and the fact I was on my own :(

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭doublecross

Castlegregory is a fun 9 hole. The condition of the course can be a bit hit and miss but I love it. Played it a few weeks ago and the greens were very slow but if you're in the area definitely play it.
    You're not too far from Dooks there either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

If you're in that neck of the woods you can't not visit Dingle and Ceann Sibeal if just 15 to 20 mins beyond that. Lovely course in super nick at the moment. And the scenery is outstanding. Ring the clubhouse and see if any open you can join. They're very helpful and it's an easy, relaxed atmosphere. Am just back from a visit and some really enjoyably golf. All depends on the weather of course. Enjoy if you make it there, and do report back!
    And.... Tralee is magnificent. If you get any sort of deal to get out there, take it. Always worth asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

There's a classic in Ballybunion Old Course on Monday. Team of 4. €200 per team

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭Ronney

Opens in Dooks Friday of every Major if your down Week after B/H

Play a good bit of golf down in Kerry and with out question when in the pub after and chatting to locals and mention we plated Waterville..etc today the first Question is how much did you pay.

The rack €100/200 rates are aimed at the American market. If your in Tralee try call in have a chat with them in the pro shop, you never know what deal you will get.

Alternatively a phone call and requesting GUI Rates has been known to work, Best try pick non busy times

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭MiniGolf

Just booked Ballyliffin - Glashedy Links - for a round later this month... It'll be the first links I will have played in years... Hopefully the weather will be kind ;);)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

What links golf in all about...tucked pin
    Laytown/Bettystown this AM

DGKKAUXXoAAdZwv.jpg

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

slave1 wrote: »
    What links golf in all about...tucked pin
    Laytown/Bettystown this AM

DGKKAUXXoAAdZwv.jpg

Ah yes the 5th. Ive been faced with that chip many times but the pin is usually further back than you think and the green opens up once you clear that mound. Nice little backstop that feeds the ball back to the green along that right hand side too.

There's a classic in Ballybunion Old Course on Monday. Team of 4. €200 per team

Thanks Miley and all others for tips.

I'll ring and see if they are short a player.

And also try the GUI rate route.

Another one of those "left it short so into steep run off and difficult chip ahead" shots...Rosslare

DD0E5UvXoAIH1FC.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Another one of those "left it short so into steep run off and difficult chip ahead" shots...Rosslare

DD0E5UvXoAIH1FC.jpg

5th in Rosslare?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Skyfloater

How would you rate Rosslare? Is it worth driving past Arklow to play it?

Skyfloater wrote: »

Yes .

I would put it ahead of Arklow. Just a small bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Skyfloater wrote:

Yes, far ahead of Arklow in my opinion. I was a member of Rosslare for years so slight bias. 7th one of my favourite par 5s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Open week in Arklow starting Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

DD0E5UvXoAIH1FC.jpg

What shot do you play there. I'd imagine a 10 foot putt for par would be a result from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Skyfloater wrote: »

Rosslare Photos Here (Many of these photos were taken during an exceptionally dry period when fairways were burnt)

Arklow Photos Here

I'd agree that Rosslare edges the decision but it's at least an extra hour's drive and Arklow has some fabulous holes - especially on the front 9.

• Advertisement

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    What shot do you play there. I'd imagine a 10 foot putt for par would be a result from there.

I played it like a bunker shot, 3rd shot on, two putt and walk off smiling

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Playing the S&M links challenge later on this month taking in courses like Rosses Pt, Enniscrone and Carne. Anyone else here giving it a go. Its tremendous value. And more importantly any local knowledge would be gratefully appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭paulos53

I am also playing in the SM Links. I entered last year as well and it was a very enjoyable few days.
    That is the only time I played those 3 courses so I don't have any major tips to pass on. A good number here played in the ACC a few weeks ago so they might be able to tell us how the courses are playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Rosses Point Open Week starts this Saturday and runs until the following Sunday (there'll be no cranky starters :) )
    https://www.brsgolf.com/countysligo/opens_home.php

€45 most days. €35 after 2pm on both Sundays. Weather looks decent enough for the week...

Sat 5th Champagne Scramble €35
    Sun 6th Singles Stroke €45/ €35 after 2pm
    Mon 7th Singles Stableford €45
    Tue 8th Ladies Day
    Wed 9th V Par (think it's blue tees) €45
    Thu 10th Scotch Foursomes €35
    Fri 11th Singles Stableford €45
    Sat 12th Fourball €45
    Sun 13th Singles Stroke €45/ €35 after 2pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    Playing the S&M links challenge later on this month taking in courses like Rosses Pt, Enniscrone and Carne. Anyone else here giving it a go. Its tremendous value. And more importantly any local knowledge would be gratefully appreciated.

Just to add for Rosses point: stay out of the rough...
    Enjoy yourself!
    Miss long or left on 4 esp if pin is on right.
    Hit a 3wood off 6 unless you can draw the ball (drain and OOB on right and anything fading that hits fairway will be in drain at best), then don't miss green on left.
    2nd to both 7 and 8 are longer than they appear.
    Don't go for the pin on 11 if it's on the right.
    If you've a good long game, put your drive out right in semi on 17 with an iron/ fairway wood to get a look at the green (and not have to trust to luck if you drive "over the top"): it'll be around 210-220yds to flag, then don't go past the pin with your 2nd shot.
    Check where the pin is on 18 BEFORE you leave the 1st tee: this dictates drive on left or right.

I'd be really interested in an unbiased opinion with regard to how you found the course, how you were treated, value for money, would you play again etc. after you've played so let us know how you got on!!

So, hit the Kerry Links for the first time - was a long time coming and was nice to knock 2 more off the list of links courses.
    Played Ballybunion and Tralee - next time down I'll finish off Kerry by being more South in the county.

Ballybunion was played in great anticipation - as not many of the top top ones to go for me. There is a sort legendary status with that one - due to Clinton and Tom Watson and The Irish Open. When you are playing a course that has held the Irish Open it always elevates the status for me.

The clubhouse is outstanding, just a statement ! that you are entering a serious golf club, with history and results and status - or maybe just a wealthy one.

But there was something a bit more refreshing about golf in Kerry , was more natural or down to earth for me - didn't have that snootiness in my experience you get at some of the top spots. You are there to enjoy the day, play golf, you are there to enjoy the food, you are there to meet people. Why in Ireland do we get that wrong sometimes.

The first hole is interesting, with the nervous life of a first round on the tee box and the encroachment of the next life (a graveyard) on the right. It is an interesting hazard (death).

The start of the front nine is too flat, too straight and too easy. It is a total surprise as you are generally expected to be torn apart at a top links. The Tuck Shop at the 6th is fantastic. A breakfast role to dream about and for once in Ireland you feel spoilt and fed as opposed to torn apart by wind and rain and hard work. Great idea for our yankee friends.

It is a dramatic change in the course from the 7th tee on - and the views along the beach holes in all of Kerry is as good as it gets. The 7th is one of the great Irish golf holes. The left hand side and rough cut back takes the teeth out of it. But outstanding. To be critical - I think it is very late in a round to ramp up a course and I'm not overly impressed with the 9th also there. I can genuinely ask is that good enough for a top course in Ireland ? Would there even be 6 average holes in Enniscrone in a full round for example.

But the back 9 is such fun - every shape, view, shot you can think of - outstanding holes like 10,11,15, 16, 17. I played terrible on back nine and was ripped apart / relative to the easy enough front 9. I liked 18 - but for such a great course - it is not a great finishing hole - an iron and a wedge to a blind flag.

Like all Links - they are courses you need to play a few times to like more - you get the feel of a course more after each visit. I left feeling it is a course I would like to play again. But - I just don't think you can have that many bad / average holes on a top course.

The view are out of this world - but I've played enough of them to know - you need a bit more than that to be that ultimate Links - that in reality, maybe doesn't even exist.

Tralee was a fun day out. You arrive and it is all laid on for the Americans and tourists. Had a good laugh with starter and it was clear I was a Dub and all the Kerry show was not needed. You get a sense Tralee is a real golf club - a members club. I was not impressed having to pay 130 euro - we have covered this before and a GUI rate should be sensible. But my choice , in area a once off - I need to play these places when there, as will I be back at all ?

The front nine in Tralee is poor - 2 is a fantastic hole and the views again are unreal - 3 is a bit of a signature , but they have visitors off a terrible tee on the left hand side it kills the hole. I know 3 is a nice looking hole - but to me it is not a natural hole it is forced into the course by a man made wave break. You can have coastal holes that feel natural like 12 in The Island.

I played shocking again on the front nine, but it is too short, not very "linksy" and reminds me of the middle section of Old Head. a bit fake to be honest.

We joined up with 2 Australian lads on the back 9 - playing 16 rounds in 16 days - on 16 top links. They were paying 3000 euro each on green fees alone when you add it up. It was a great laugh to play in a 4 ball - because with Americans ahead - it was a horrible slow front 9. It was one of them nines I basically pulled off every shot in the bag - fades, punches , up and downs from everywhere. So you are going to enjoy it more.

The back nine in Tralee is not the same standard as Ballybunion - but such a fun, edge of the seat 9. Up and down , big drops and danger on run offs. I can imagine people think it is unfair - but I tend to like edge of the seat / cliff holes.

The views again are out of this world and you do leave the place and Kerry going - jaysus it is a stunning place - just a pity about the people in it ;):D

So - onwards, to finish all these links courses off - hopefully will be done in about 3 years more.

Was thinking if you could put both back 9s of the courses together you would have some course.

Reading online - people love , love Ballybunion. I've played enough now - to be probably spoilt a little. I would have been over enamoured with it in the past too - but when you play more and more links. Finding the perfect one becomes more elusive. Even guys who have played them way more than me - often have a view that can surprise.

So 2 great days - and ones that I'll remember for a long time, till I forget them and have to go and play them again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

ThunderCat wrote: »
    Ah yes the 5th. Ive been faced with that chip many times but the pin is usually further back than you think and the green opens up once you clear that mound. Nice little backstop that feeds the ball back to the green along that right hand side too.

......yeah.....but you defo don't even want to be even a little bit long with that one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Great write up again Fix, its always surprising and in a good way how people see courses differently.

For me the back 9 in Tralee is one of THE great 9 hole stretches, its so challenging and the views are epic. I think when you finish, it colours your view of the front 9 which I completely agree isnt in the same league (with a couple of so so holes in the middle).
    I havent been there since they changed the 9th but I always liked 7 and 8. 7 you wouldn't want to suffer vertigo as the back teebox is pretty damn narrow with cliffs all around.

I have always played the 3rd from around the back tee markers and its a spectacular hole from there. Its amazing what a change of angle and a few yards can do to a hole.

Thanks Webbs.

Agree it is up there near them - the views are unreal - the holes are great fun and test every shot in the game.
    It was about a 2 club wind and I played out of my skin - 2 over and that was a daft double. 2 birds at 13 and 17 and a par on the index one with an up and down from the hollow. You couldn't enjoy golf anymore. The company , the fun, the golf , the views , the peacefulness of the place.

But to look at it as a 9 hole. You have to break down each hole.
    10 fantastic hole , love the drop and slight dogleg aspect. Stunning hole.
    11 a bit of a silly par 5 - easily reachable if you knew where you were going. You have to have played it before.
    12 One of the best holes out there - but can see people saying , you don't have any real hope on 2nd shot and the guys in front are in sight and danger as you hit your shot.
    13 Love holes like this - but just bang an extra club and the bank will help at back and all 4 in our group had a birdie putt. Visually incredible.
    14 I made a balls of it - but nice hole - nothing out of this world - there isn't enough rough at present to define the layers to the hole.
    15 I love holes like this - it is just a 5 iron and PW - can see guys hating the blind aspect of flag.
    16 One of the best holes I ever played and a way better hole than 3. I told all lads in group , add 2 clubs - then go back and add another when you have the club you think you need -worked for all of us.
    17 Again - one I love, but can see it hated - almost no shot on 2nd , got my bird and more luck than skill.
    18 Way too short again.

The back 9 is 3274 yards. (White course)
    It is a bit lofty to place that in the top top 9 hole courses. We are talking about (of the ones I've played) , RCD (front), Portstewart (front), Enniscrone (Back) - The Island (Front or back), there are a few more I can put in there.

This is serious big boys stuff and - they are all championship level and have the teeth to hold a pro event. I'm not saying Tralee is not in there, I'd have to play it a few times and the others again - but at first outing - I can't see it now.

It is a course suited more to real golfers - than to very high level golfers.

At the end of the day , they have you playing off silly tee boxes to speed up play, the rough is cut back too much and in the summer they have it set up too easy. Paying 190 euro - for anyone is crazy stuff. I do understanding all the marketing crack.

I'm trying to separate the pure course from the views and playability and value for money and golf you played and people you were with.
    But it isn't possible - turning up to all the Links in Ireland and playing them is some sort of achievement. But actually getting to know a links course properly is a different task. I think it takes about 4/5 rounds and then you get to know it more after that.

Anyone like to give me a sense of what remains in Kerry ?
    How to play them cheaper ?
    When to play them ?
    What level are they at ?

And list your favourite Kerry Links in order if you played them all ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Jawgap wrote: »
    ......yeah.....but you defo don't even want to be even a little bit long with that one ;)

Yep. Like putting across a car bonnet!

Advertisement