Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

I have only played Tralee on Junior Scratch Cups so maybe its a course where if tees are forward then its a totally different animal.

When we played 10 was barely reachable in 2 with drive and 3 wood,
    11 not a chance of reaching in two at around 550 yds uphill,
    I remember one of our group taking extra on 13 and the rough at the back was up so it just stuck there, now that was a scary shot out of rough across that green with the chasm looking at you :-)
    14 with its split fairway was a tough one, the rough in the split was cruel and reaching the green if you hit rough was 50/50.
    I think 16 is one of the best par 3s around, no real bale outs and first time we played it with wind up all of us hit 3 wood. Could have hit driver and not been too long!

The joys of Links is the weather though, first time wind was really tough and was a reduction only scratch Cup, if you broke 82 or 3 you were playing ridiculously good golf, next time much calmer just the couple of club wind and was fairer but still a real test.

Push tees up (for the yanks??) and it takes the teeth away from a course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Last week I returned to an old stomping ground and had 4 days of fab links golf in the NE of England - from a golfing perspective, I always think this is a very overlooked part of the world.

Played Seaton Carew (designed by Augusta's Alister MacKenzie), Hartlepool and then spent two days playing Cleveland (Yorkshire's oldest course) including participating in one of the club majors.

Great courses and great golf, especially as the weather was uncharacteristically warm - despite the proximity of the North Sea and the constant wind every round was played in t-shirts and I'd have happily worn shorts if I'd brought them.

The clubs were incredibly hospitable - despite me booking as a 'walk-up' they contacted me and asked if I wanted to play with a member and then charged me the reduced green fee, when they could have easily left me to my own devices and charged me full whack. In the end, I paid about £60 for 99 holes of golf across 3 championship links courses.

Out of the three, I'd rate Cleveland as the better of the bunch (I was previously a member here) - the phrase "hidden gem" definitely applies here. Plus the Yorkshire Amateur had just concluded the day before so the course was in super condition even if it was set up for the more elite players!

"The Doctor" at Seaton......
    426566.JPG

Making the turn at Cleveland.....
    426567.JPG

18th at Cleveland.....
    426568.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

I had a week down in Clare last week, and was given the chance to play Lahinch with a member.

Its a breathtaking course, and the wind is a serious test. I hit a sweet three iron which must have gone nearly 250 yards, and also hammered a driver which went max 150 yards. I played pretty well with three birdies and lipped out for three more. Reached three of the par fives in two with the wind behind me, and struggled to reach the last one in three with the wind into me :)

All in all, i had an 87 (off 14) playing off the whites including an 8 on one hole and a 7 on the Mine hole (260 yard par 4 with a huge chasm to the right of the fairway which i hit into).

I left an eagle putt in the jaws of the Klondyke hole after a drive and a 7 iron
    426576.jpg

Hit the Dell green with a punched 5 iron into the wind. My first putt was blocked out by the cuff and i had to putt off the green to get near the hole, missed my return putt and settled for a three putt bogey.
    426577.jpg

Also had an eagle putt on the Castle hole after a huge drive and a 9 iron to the green. Two putt birdies!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Fixed, on your quest to play all the links are u playing the second courses at the top clubs, u missed a cracker in ballyb.
    Doing the same I'm at 32 courses but have stalled a bit in the last couple of years, keep going back to the ones I've played.
    Opens and scratch cups and winter rates for me haven't paid full price for any of them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Played Waterville yesterday. What a treat! Played it off the blues and there are some great tests throughout. We were out first in the morning and went around fairly quickly. Lovely finishing hole that would scare the bejaysus out of most mere mortals like myself with the tee shot (although I did finish with a birdieðŸ˜). Will definitely return.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Off in a few minutes to a BnB and then Tralee and Dingle tomorrow, weather looks good, hopefully I'll play well and enjoy it...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

mike12 wrote: »
    Fixed, on your quest to play all the links are u playing the second courses at the top clubs, u missed a cracker in ballyb.
    Doing the same I'm at 32 courses but have stalled a bit in the last couple of years, keep going back to the ones I've played.
    Opens and scratch cups and winter rates for me haven't paid full price for any of them yet.

Would if I had time , but didn't this time . Was told by my playing partner that I would love 2nd course in Ballybunion as I like the up and down unusual courses in the big sand dunes.

I've played full rate on very few - the ones I can think of and was serious money are Royal County Down and Portstewart. It would be more a case that I can only play them at certain times and can't time it, to when an open is on . Don't have too many contacts outside Dublin in golf.

I do give out about no sensible rate for a guI member , but it won't stop me playing them. The one course I probably wouldn't pay full rate is Doonbeg.

I've played 21, but I'm only counting main courses and full 18 courses. The secondary courses in general are practice/ short courses.

What are you counting there . How many are there . I must pull up one of your earlier posts.

I've 2 to go in kerry , Doonbeg, all of Donegal, I need to study North bit more , how many are up there .

I'm not far off , must be about 9 to go. (Of full courses)

I've 2 to go in kerry , Doonbeg, all of Donegal, I need to study North bit more , how many are up there .

I'm not far off , must be about 9 to go. (Of full courses)

Donegal has more links courses than any other county IIRC, if you've missed "second" courses like BBunion Cashen and Lahinch Castle and all of Donegal then I'd say you've more than 9 to go.
    I'm on the same mission to play all the links and will have 23 done by the end of this week and I reckon I have at least 12 more to go, I do not count Old Head as links BTW

slave1 wrote: »
    Donegal has more links courses than any other county IIRC, if you've missed "second" courses like BBunion Cashen and Lahinch Castle and all of Donegal then I'd say you've more than 9 to go.
    I'm on the same mission to play all the links and will have 23 done by the end of this week and I reckon I have at least 12 more to go, I do not count Old Head as links BTW

How many 18 hole links courses in Donegal

I've played 2nd course in RCD and Lahinch

How many 18 hole links courses in Donegal

I've played 2nd course in RCD and Lahinch

Narin & Portnoo, Murvagh (Donegal), Ballyliffin x2 I've played.
    Rosapenna x 2 I'm playing later in the week.
    Portsalon, NorthWest, Dunfanaghy, Gweedore and Greencastle (I think these last three are links).
    So I make it 11.
    Kevin probably make the call on those lesser known last three.....

• Advertisement

Portsalon, NorthWest, Dunfanaghy, Gweedore and Greencastle (I think these last three are links).
    So I make it 11.

I'm not into making a place links for the sake of it. I genuinely don't think a 9 hole or practice course counts.I very played RCDs 2nd course / practice course / par 3. And a fine place and that , but I'm looking to play all full links course of championship full length quality.

I'll be dumbfounded if 11 links in Donegal and will review my goal of 3 years out to 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jarrieta

I'm not into making a place links for the sake of it. I genuinely don't think a 9 hole or practice course counts.I very played RCDs 2nd course / practice course / par 3. And a fine place and that , but I'm looking to play all full links course of championship full length quality.

I'll be dumbfounded if 11 links in Donegal and will review my goal of 3 years out to 5.

I would not count Northwest as championship course, nor those three as links. I like Greencastle but not a links, dunfanaghy looked nice but not a links. But the rest definitely are championship links

I have it around the 50 but there are a few debatable ones and a few second courses.
    The second course in RCD is very similar to Corballis.
    The second course in Bally b is great and the second course in portrush is supposed to be super.
    I have a good few left in donegal plus the southwest I have only played, 3 courses from Galway down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Carne or Enniscrone folks?

I'm going to be in the northwest next week and am going to play either Carne or Enniscrone. I’m trying to make up my mind on which one.

I've played Carne three times and have never played Enniscrone. I love Carne, it's hands down my favourite course in the country. I love the challenge and brutality of the course and the feeling that you’re really on the edge of the continent.

I would like to play Enniscrone, but I don’t want it to feel like it’s a box ticking exercise that will leave me wishing I’d played Carne instead!

So, my question to those in the know – is Enniscrone a toned down version of Carne, or is it a completely different course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Dark skies are upon us.......

The 11th tee at Laytown looking back up the 10th this morning.....not a breath of wind, in complete contrast to 24 hours earlier when we couldn't get the balls to sit still when we placed them!

427017.JPG

ronnie3585 wrote: »

I'm going to be in the northwest next week and am going to play either Carne or Enniscrone. I’m trying to make up my mind on which one.

I've played Carne three times and have never played Enniscrone. I love Carne, it's hands down my favourite course in the country. I love the challenge and brutality of the course and the feeling that you’re really on the edge of the continent.

I would like to play Enniscrone, but I don’t want it to feel like it’s a box ticking exercise that will leave me wishing I’d played Carne instead!

So, my question to those in the know – is Enniscrone a toned down version of Carne, or is it a completely different course?

It is completely different in my opinion. The only problem with Enniscrone I can see are 3 very plain holes in the front 9, the first holes are really nice and from the 9 you will get better and better holes to arrive to the 16th, one of my favourite holes. I think it is worth playing for sure. I prefer Enniscrone to Carne, but depends on how I feel, Carne as you say is savage golf, really thrilling.

Some piccies of Enniscrone:

https://goo.gl/photos/9VbfwLUMGVgHhqmn6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

So I make it 11.

Bundoran is another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Cody OHare

So I make it 11.

I get that you dont want to play 9 hole courses / practice courses, but I'd highly recommend Cruit Island. Its only 9 holes, every hole has either a completely blind drive or approach and the greens are just OK. In short everything that might put you off playing a course. My son and myself have played 16 of the top 20 courses in Ireland (still to do Portrush, Ballybunnion, Lahinch & Old Head) in the last 4 years,  yet I can hardly remember a day where we had more fun than Cruit Island. And it has the best views of any course that I've been to (Ballyliffen, Rosapenna, Tralee Waterville et al.)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Without trying to over-practicalise things - where will you be staying?

If staying in Co Sligo, Carne is another 80min or so past Enniscrone, so make sure to factor that into plans as well. From Sligo town you'd be talking almost 2 hours to Carne compared to 40 min or so to Enniscrone.

If staying in Ballina or similar, then the difference in journey times isn't as severe

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭Ronney

blackwhite wrote: »

If staying in Co Sligo, Carne is another 80min or so past Enniscrone, so make sure to factor that into plans as well. From Sligo town you'd be talking almost 2 hours to Carne compared to 40 min or so to Enniscrone.

If staying in Ballina or similar, then the difference in journey times isn't as severe

Enniscrone is a top 20 in the county course so you wont be disappointing. Played it twice in tough conditions and found it more difficult than Carne.

Not the same level of Towering Dunes but not flat by any means.

Given you have played Carne you might as well tick Enniscrone off the list too

• Advertisement

Well worth playing Enniscrone.
    Super course just hit it to where u can see.

Royal Portrush

Portstewart

Ballyliffin

Donegal

Narin & Portnoo

Rosapenna

Ardglass

Kirkistown Castle

Mourne

Royal Co. Down

Corballis Links

Portmarnock

Portmarnock Hotel

The Island

The Links Portmarnock

The Royal Dublin

Connemara

Galway Bay

Ballybunion

Tralee

Seapoint

Co. Louth

Greenore

Belmullet

Laytown & Bettystown

Bundoran

Co. Sligo

Enniscrone

Strandhill

St. Anne's

European

Ballybunion Casheen

Ballycastle

Portrush Valley Course

Doonbeg Links

Kilkee

Lahinch

Lahinch Second

Ballyliffin Galsheady

Dunfanaghy

Greencastle

North West

Portsalon

Rospenna Tom Morris

Carnalea

Castlerock

Donaghadee

Ceann Sibeal

Dooks

Skellig Bay

Waterville

Rosslare

Arklow

Portstewart 2nd

So there are 54 that could be classified as links on the above list, have played the top 32,
    Greenore, Galway bay, Ardglass are not really links but great seaside courses so have included them on my list.
    Think the rest are but have never heard of carnalea.
    Donaghadee is described as part links part parkland so don't know what % it should be to be a links.

Well worth playing Enniscrone.
    Super course just hit it to where u can see.

Enniscrone - one of the best I have played.

Love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

I would pick Carne all day. Played Carne, Enniscrone and Rosses point recently. Greens in Rosses point were very dissappointing although I did quite well there. You could play Carne a hundred times and see something intriguing each time. I just love the wildness and quite serenity of it. At various stages I was walking to the top of a hill to see flagstick and then when I retreated back to my ball I was picking a cloud in the sky to aim at. Apparently only 40 full time members and the staff are salt of the earth. Enniscrone is a nice course as well. Didn't play well on the day so maybe that is tempering my verdict but I wouldn't say its 100% linksy. Plenty of flat holes and parkland type holes in the middle. Couldn't say the same for Carne. They also have traffic lights on some holes to indicate if people were still on green which was cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

blackwhite wrote: »

Not staying anywhere. Live in Galway, have a small job to do in Castlebar so am going to hit north after that. It's a longer schlep out to the Mullet but worth it:)

So there are 54 that could be classified as links on the above list, have played the top 32,
    Greenore, Galway bay, Ardglass are not really links but great seaside courses so have included them on my list.
    Think the rest are but have never heard of carnalea.
    Donaghadee is described as part links part parkland so don't know what % it should be to be a links.

Is Skellig Bay not closed. They were shuttimg shop for a few years when I passed by, said a Yank had bought it and was ploughing big money into it

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭Ronney

Is Skellig Bay not closed. They were shuttimg shop for a few years when I passed by, said a Yank had bought it and was ploughing big money into it

Yea its called Hogs Head, reports are its going to be more a "yanks" course priced in the Old Head bracket

Press Links here
    http://www.hogsheadgolfclub.com/

Did the list 6 years ago. So could be.

• Advertisement

Did the list 6 years ago. So could be.

You have Portmarnock Links twice, appearing also as Hotel

I don't think Dunfanaghy is a links course and definitely Greencastle is not as I have played it (beautiful course btw)

Great list, I need a lotto prize to increase my list of played links :(

Advertisement